Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (tilleryboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-05-2010, 12:03 AM Reply   
i need a new vest but my parents are making me get a cga vest.
what are some good vests that are cga?
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-05-2010, 4:44 AM Reply   
helium SWAT's are meant to be really good cga's. Never tried it meself though
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-05-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
I have a Helium SWAT, I really like it. It floats well, isnt that bulky (most of the padding is in the front, the back is pretty thin), and I love the side entry.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-05-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
Smart Parents
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-05-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
Jet Pilot Murray CGA is a great CGA vest.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-05-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
I love my Helium swat but I recently put on the Liquid force watson and it was way more flexible!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-05-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
I agree with Jeff. Best CGA vest out there IMO.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-06-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
The one I'm currently using is the Jet Pilot OG CGA. Insanely comfy!

BTW I'm with Art, smart parents you got yourself there!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-06-2010, 10:53 PM Reply   
JP Murray for sure! Thats what I wear, really like it!
Old     (tilleryboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-07-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
how much floatation would say, the jet pilot A-10 comp vest hold..or any of the JP comp vests?
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-07-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
ive got an A-12 and I weigh 180 it holds me pretty good.....The Billabong comp vest held me up too
Old     (tilleryboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-07-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
yeah, i really liked the billabong ones. would they hold you up if you are unconscious tho?
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-07-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
+1 for the LF Watson. d$, save your money and just wear a t-shirt. I owned an A-10 and you'll pretty much sink like a brick.
Old     (gumtree)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-07-2010, 8:47 AM Reply   
I love my JP Murray vest, really thin, CGA, oversized arm holes, zipper doesn't hit you in the chin.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-07-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
i've got the hyperlite side-entry CGA. extremely comfy, flexible, and you can hardly tell its CGA, until you read the label. check one out if you can.
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-07-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
i got knocked silly to the point where everything was spinning and didnt know where i was...not completely knocked out but the billabong held me up...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-07-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
I've had the JP A-10 for years and that thing will not float you at all if you get knocked out and start sucking water.

I'm hoping to get the Murray this Spring.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-07-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
The A10s wouldn't float you for $hiz. The baller/OG style vests actually float you pretty well.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-07-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
I didn't think the SWATs were CGA? Confirm? I just got a Heluim Paisley CGA and it is very nice.
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-10-2010, 6:23 AM Reply   
I just ordered the A-10.. got it in, really didn't think I would trust it... sent it back and ordered the Watson CGA.. Ha hope I trust it..
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-10-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
The Jet Pilot Murray vest is the most popular vest for people who have to wear a CGA that don't want too. It is what the majority of us wear at McCormicks. It is still bulky but definitely more flexible than other CGA's that I have worn. The A-10 is my vest of choice for riding. It floats fine and has good padding for those bad diggers.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-10-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
I got the CWB Essential vest, and I love it. I had the non-CGA CWB Faction, but it didn't float me enough for my comfort level. If i was floating and exhaled, i'd start sinking. The essential is pretty much the CGA version of the Faction, and in my opinion it fits exactly the same. Oversized arm-holes, slim fit, all that stuff that non-cga's give you, Not bulky at all. But other options, i'd definitely say the Jet Pilot that others on here have mentioned. My friend's got one and i've worn it plenty of times. very comfortable
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-10-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
kyle, the only way an A-10 floats you fine, is if you weigh less than the vest. That vest is full of style but nothing on float. Blow all of the air out of your lungs and tell me how well it floats you.
Old     (tilleryboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-10-2010, 8:29 PM Reply   
has anyone tried the 2010 jet pilot recoil
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-11-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
he doesn't listen to anyone and will probably slam you for 'telling him what to do'
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-11-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Randy, hahaha true, I'll try it next time I ride which with this cold front we have been having will not be for a while lol.

Mikey, I don't listen to people preaching to me about how we should only wear a CGA vest and people who freak out when a rider doesn't wear a vest in a video. For me personally, CGA vests are way to bulky and interfere with how I like to ride. They are bulky, stiff and 100% inhibit some of your flexibility (and I am already not a flexible person so that basically make me feel like I'm riding like a show skier converted wakeboarder). I have gotten the wind knocked out of my lungs more times than I can count and have floated up to the top of the water every time. When a story comes out about a rider that drowns wearing a non-cga vest (GOD FORBID) then I will wear one, but being that that will never happen, I think I am safe. There is one noncga that I actually felt uncomfortable riding in and it was a 1080 comp vest, and I took it right off and put on my JP vest. I have ridden without a vest one time when I was wearing a spring top because we were shooting photos and I vowed to never do it again. Just because a noncga doesn't float you up like a freaking bobber doesn't mean it doesn't float, it just means it does not meet ALL of the coast guards regulations. Something gives me a feeling that those apply to some water situations that I will definitely not be in. I will make a promise to you though that if I ever tow into Teahupoo or any other big tow wave, I will be wearing a CGA vest.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-11-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
I have 2 non CGA vests that float pretty well. A O'neill Outlaw which is super comfy and a LF Watson that will float me about nose level with no air in the lungs. The LF Watson CGA makes me feel like the Michelin man and like Kyle, I'm not all that flexible to begin with.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-11-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
lol ya kyle I was just being a jerk about it. I never said you COULDN'T ride without a CGA vest, I just said it's DUMB. Much like powerturning, feel free to do it, but it's dumb. No but seriously there are CGAs now that aren't restrictive, the Watson CGA is not one of them. From the old thread on vests we argued in before I bought the Helium Paisley CGA and it is very thin and easy arm movement. Very nice.