Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    david_fletcher            02-20-2003, 8:48 AM Reply   
Is the hydraulic wakeplate on a Supra improve the wake as good as Malibus wedge. I always here good things about the wedge, but nothing about wakeplate. I like looks of SSV better than VLX, everything else seems about the same other than the wakeplate vs. wedge, so help me out.
Old    danp            02-20-2003, 9:18 AM Reply   
From what I understand the wedge and wakeplate are different in there purpose.

WEDGE: pulls rear of boat deeper into water with the drag of the wedge

WAKEPLATE: pushes rear of boat up when deployed down to prevent porposing.
Old    david_fletcher            02-20-2003, 9:19 AM Reply   
So does the wedge make the vlx a better boat, most everyone with a vlx use the wedge?
Old    steveaz            02-20-2003, 9:26 AM Reply   
2 completely different functions and no comparison. In my opinion, every boat should have a wakeplate. They enable you to adjust the wake but in doing so you only make the wake smaller, the wake will be it's maximum size with the wakeplate all the way up(not being used). However if your rider wants a more vertical wake you can adjust the plate up, rampier wake, adjust it down and all this can be done on the fly if you get the hydraulic version (highly recommended). It also helps with hole shot, bow rise, and rough water (put it down). Great asset but doesn't replace the need for weight.

Now the wedge only serves 1 purpose, makes the wake bigger (how much depends on how the boat is weighted) and makes the wake steeper. Also a nice/convenient feature, not as versatile, but does reduce the amount of weight you need in the boat to achieve the desired results.

Steve
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-20-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
MIA's right. The wedge is a substitute for ballast, or supplement to ballast. It increases the wake size and affects its shape.

A wakeplate does not increase wake size; you need ballast and/or a wedge for that. However, it can be used to shape the wake somewhat (while reducing size somewhat). My Supra has one, and the benefits for us have been reduced time to plane when there's a lot of ballast, cleaning up the wake in different weight and water conditions, and a much smoother ride in rough water or when the boat wants to porpoise.

Those are two great boats to be considering. I don't think the wedge necessarily makes the VLX a "better" boat, as you'll probably be running with ballast in either one. It does provide a quicker adjustment of wake size, while the wakeplate provides easier adjustment for shape and ride characteristics. If you choose the Supra, definitely get the hydraulic wakeplate.
Old    danp            02-20-2003, 11:09 AM Reply   
Does Skier's Choice offer a NON hydraulic wakeplate
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-20-2003, 11:33 AM Reply   
Yes, they do offer a manually adjustable wake plate. You need to adjust it on the trailer, or in the water. It is a little bit of an inconvenience, but not much different than putting the wedge down. I've never had good luck getting the wedge to lock in with one arm thru the platform hole, making me get in the water anyways.
The wakeplate does a great job of shaping the wake, plus is as easy to operate as trim on an I/O.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-20-2003, 12:01 PM Reply   
The TAPS system on the Tige's is a "wake plate." I think TAPS slightly adjusts wake size, and is very helpful with wake shape, ride quality and porpoising(?). I've recently driven a direct drive Malibu with the wedge and it made the boat feel slightly sluggish. I've also driven a Tige with TAPS and it handled excellent. The Tige was a 20ft V-drive. I've ridden behind a malibu with plenty of ballast, and no wedge and thought the wake was just awesome. I've talked to more than one person that didn't like the effect of the wedge. I can also say that I haven't talked to anyone that actually loved the wedge. I rode behind the same Malibu direct drive that I drove and I really liked the shape of the wake. It was a little smaller than what I was used to, but the shape was nice. He was running about 600lbs of water and the wedge. That's all I can tell you.
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-20-2003, 1:36 PM Reply   
not everyone uses a wedge... its perfered by some but not all
Old    steveaz            02-20-2003, 3:05 PM Reply   
Here's my objective opinion on the wedge. I have used the Wedge 23 for about the last year and have done a lot of expermenting with it. Personally I like a steeper wake, the VLX without wedge is too rampy however many beginner riders and some others prefer a rampy wake. The combination of wedge and weight allow me to accommodate virtually everyone with little to no down time or effort (15 seconds). You can obtain a steeper wake without the wedge but it requires considerably more weight in the rear and storage space is comprimised as well as the versatility is eliminated. BUT, you really have to set the boat up well to maximize the potential of the wedge without sacrificing performance. By this I mean bow to stern weighting. Too much weight in the bow and the effective angle of the wedge is increased, performance suffers and the wake curles. Too much in the rear and the wedge is rendered inaffective.

Driving, again this has a lot to do with setup. I find that it does make a difference but really not that much if the boat is setup properly. My boat will make plenty tight turns but if not setup right will cavitate at times.

Dan, you need to come out on my boat and learn how to manipulate the wedge, it's not that difficult. BTW, I stopped by the other day but you had just left for the airport.

Now, wakeplate...no arguement there, you can weight the piss out of a boat giving it a steep wake, put the wake plate down and viola, a rampier wake for those that prefer it. Down side, you still have to have a place for all that weight. DEFINITELY get the hydraulic version!

I must say though that I still weight my boat fairly heavily even with wedge (1900 #'s, 700 is lead) but my wake is considered pretty big by most, and intimidating to some. AND....I have maintained versatility, no visable weight, and virtually all of my storage.

I think there are pros and cons to both methods but mostly pros. One thing is don't get the new VLX wedge (wedge 23) confused with the previous, the difference is night and day on a SV23 hull. I've driven the exact same boat with both types and it really is a big difference.

Best of luck, either way you'll be getting a great boat that will most likely be more than sufficient for your needs.

Steve
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-20-2003, 7:15 PM Reply   
Steve- That's a wealth of very helpful information.
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-21-2003, 9:15 AM Reply   
Steve,
Like anything, I'm sure it's gotten better over time. I rode behind a Malibu in Wisconsin quite a bit. If you can imagine trying to lock that down when 5mph river current is forcing it back up, is probably where I had difficulty. Being the tallest guy with the longest arms I was always they one engaging it. It did make one wicked wake when down though!

Thanks for stopping by, sorry I missed ya.
Old    bcw            03-07-2003, 4:07 PM Reply   
In my opinion, take it for what it is worth, the wedge is just okay. I believed it was designed in place of the ballast but more and more you see it used in conjuction with a ballast system. The wedge seems to also put alot of stress on the haul of the boat and makes the boat perform a little sluggish for my taste. Weighted down properly a Malibu can throw a great wake, but I find the wedge to hinder more than help the boat.
The Wakeplate on the Supra was incorporated to work with the haul design and ballast systems on boats where the ballast applies. It does not create a larger wake but allows you to fine tune your wake and shape it to your desired riding position. I have found it very helpfull for younger riders who ride at 16-17mph. It has eliminated the wash I found the larger boats of any make produce at these speeds. It's a great option and I recommend it to everyone.

Brett Watson
Club Royale Marina
(248)681-9100
ClubRoyale@ClubRoyale.net
Old    lunker            03-08-2003, 12:55 PM Reply   
The "wake plate" looks like nothing more than a single trimtab that are commonly used in pairs on larger cruisers to adjust list and assist planing.

What would happen in a person put one on a x10 and had no ballast? Could you make the wake smaller and softer at 30mph? I mostly wakeboard but still like to hit the bouys sometimes. A wakeboard boat DOES NOT make a very good slolom wake!

Mark
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-08-2003, 2:22 PM Reply   
I have a hydraulic wakeplate on my Mobius V. It will make the wake smaller at 30mph when there is no ballast in the boat. It also helps alot(totally eliminates) with porposing at higher speeds.