Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                03-02-2004, 6:35 PM Reply   
It doesn't seem like it will be that much more difficult than a raley. I ride at OWC and sometimes when I throw a raley off the kicker there my body kinda starts to drift in that motion anyways so I figure if I just turn and tuck my head in by my arms I should be ok.

Any comments/tips?
Old     (nickpman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-03-2004, 9:03 PM Reply   
Chris, im right where you are too. I'm at the point of trying S-bends... not too many people give much comment on them tho, which makes it seem like it's either really hard, or just really intimidating and no one wants to. I may be wrong? I read about it in Wake Physics and they said to shorten up the line length, and slow the boat speed down for the falls, because I guess their pretty brutal.
Old                03-04-2004, 9:23 AM Reply   
Hmm...I don't have a boat so I ride at the cable parks (can't slow down/shorten line). I guess I will just go for it and hope for the best :-).
If I end up going this Saturday I'll let you know how it goes.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-04-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
Hey guys. As you extend out into a raley, look in the direction of your turn under your armpit. It's a pretty easy trick, but the consequenses can be brutal. Make sure your ear is touching your bicep as you look. Keep looking until you spot the landing, then bring it in. If you pull your head up and look over you shoulder instead of under your armpit, your rotation will stall and you will be subsequently "Wapaaaaa'd!" Good luck.
Old     (nickpman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-04-2004, 8:21 PM Reply   
Matt, When should you start to put your ear at your bicep? Once you've fully extend the raley, or once your leaving the wake? or in between
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-05-2004, 12:21 AM Reply   
I would believe on the way up after takeoff, but i could be wrong, iv never tried it, just guessing
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-05-2004, 12:40 AM Reply   
Well the best one I've heard, is as you leave the wake, start the raley like normal, then smell your armpit, keep smelling until you come all the way around.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-05-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   
Nick- Just like Kristian said.
Old     (nickpman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-05-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
Yea that makes a little more sense... im gonna try it in a month or so once it starts gettin warm. Thanks alot guys
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-05-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
Yeah, obviously you would want to let your body out behind your like a raley and then go for it. hah smell your armpit. Man, i couldnt even imagine trying an sbend, getting rocked would be so brutal
Old                03-05-2004, 6:39 PM Reply   
Heh yeah...well I think I am going tomorrow. So hopefully I will be able to report back on how I pulled it off and not on how I got a concussion/broken neck/whatev.

Dman...y'all are scaring me now :-)
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-06-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
don't be scared :-) I know a 13 year old on my lake that can stick them clean and i cang even grab OHH
Old                03-06-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
Haha yeah there are like 7 year old kids here that make me look silly.

Well I went to OWC today...I stuck a handfull of raley's so I was feeling pretty good and decided to go for the s-bend. People were watching me and said I came real close, and I felt like I almost had it, but I ended up rocking my nuts hardcore :-(.
What made it kind of hard was that when I do a raley...It just is a pretty natural motion and my body kinda knows when to pull the handle back in, i dont really think about it too much. In the s-bend I got kind of disoriented while spinning so I didn't know exactly where I was above the water so I started bring my legs down a little later and not quite as fast as I should have. About initiating the motion I don't really know what to say...I remember going up the kicker and I'm guessing I must have stuck my head between my arms and smelled my armpit and all that good stuff, but I can only really remember going up...seeign the water as I was coming around...then the pain in my testicles.

I tried it after I had been on the water for like 3 hours so I called it a day after that. I'm pretty confident I will be able to nail it next time I go out.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-06-2004, 8:56 PM Reply   
sweet. i wish i had the nuts to try an sbend hehe let me know when you stick it
Old     (nickpman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-06-2004, 11:19 PM Reply   
So i guess it's not too hard then? I got a month till warm weather comes around so i'll go for it after a few days of gettin back into riding.
Old                03-07-2004, 5:16 AM Reply   
It wasn't too bad. I was afraid that I might not rotate around fast enough and end up like backwards on my neck, but I didn't come close to that at all. I'm not the greatest rider either...my trick list is only like tantrum, backroll, raley, and sometimes I can get 3's.
So I tink you should go for it...just don't plan any romantic evenings with your girlfriend's that night ;)
Old     (nickpman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-07-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
HaHa yea... i'll put a post up here when I go for it, late
Old                03-18-2004, 4:06 PM Reply   
Hey chris... sometimes when people try this trick they get the idea to try so hard to get the spin and the end up disoriented. If your raley feels natural, go with it and let your head in your armpit give you the rotation. Remember not to huck. Just let your raley roll. Good luck..
Old                03-19-2004, 5:23 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tip... Sometimes when I'm approaching a kicker I start thinking too much about what I need to do and my thoughts get all jumbled in my head then I screw up the trick...I'm usually better off to just go do it and not think so much.
Old                04-19-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
S-bend help...Here try this---> http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=21899

I think this might help some
Old                05-04-2004, 12:47 PM Reply   
i tried one s-bend last year. i didnt pull the line in or anything, i should have. i didnt smell my pit well enough and stalled out. yeah, that ephing hurt.
Old     (overwaters)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-07-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
does shorting the rope realy have much to do with how hard u fall im not being sarcastic i just realy want to know cuz it doesnt seem like it would make a diference but i could be wrong so tell me if its true?
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-09-2004, 10:23 PM Reply   
I'd like to try one myself. Does anybody ever have a problem with rotating too slow??