Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (nickfranklin86)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-02-2007, 3:53 PM Reply   
hey, I just started thinking about getting into kiteboarding. I know its expensive to start up, but I'm never able to go out wakeboarding cause its too hard to find a pull. If i started kiteboarding I could just pack my shiz and head out to hood river in an hour without having to depend on anybody else. anybody in here into kiteboarding? any tips, advise for me.
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-02-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
I'm coming at it from the other direction...I kiteboard, and am looking to get into wakeboarding for the off season...fall, winter (if I can take it) and spring.

Kiteboaring is great. Some pointers:
1. If you already have wakeboarding skills, you will pick it up fast..but that does NOT mean you should learn on your own. Learn to fly a foil kite/trainer (LF and Slingshot make good ones) on land well....then TAKE LESSONS.
2. Do not learn on too large a board....whatever an instructor tells you. I weigh 185#....and I was having a hard time learning on a large board. Went to a 132cm x 40cm and starting progressing fast. People use kiteboards about 5cm-8cm shorter than they wakeboard on
3. Do not use your wakeboard. Kiteboards have to plane sooner under the kites power, and are therefore flatter, with smoother bottoms/no channels.
4. Learn with straps...not bindings. Harder to go upwind with bindings...but you can edge/load better for no whip tricks. After you get things down....go back to bindings if you want. Also, when you start learning real powered kiteloops....use/go back to straps! The first time you pull the trigger you will want to have the ability to kick off your board. Trust me.

Kiteboarding has a lot in common with wakeboarding, with the added element of the the kite. There are some big differences, though:
1. Not as social as wakeboarding. You are on the water on your own.
2. With the harness....it is less physical.
3. Tons more time on the water. On a good day, you can easily get 2,3,4 hours on the water. More if you are in shape.
4. Like wakeboarding, it can be as mellow or extreme as you want it to be.
5. Most kiters are kite oriented...jumping, loopy kite tricks, etc....but the better kiters are also board oriented....and can do a lot of wakestyle tricks without using the lift of the kite. Of course, the top level guys put it all together.
6. It is a great compliment to wakeboarding. When it is too windy to wakeboard...you are just as stoked.
7. It is still pretty new...so the equipment is evolving all the time. I am a C-kite (I fly Caution Spitfires) guy myself. I like the edgey feel, and the pull through turns. Then again, I kite in the CA Delta, where the winds are super steady...so I dont need range and depower. The Gorge is gustier....so you will likely be better served by the newer hybrid style kites. Lots of people in the Delta use North, and are very happy with them...

(Message edited by kitewake on September 02, 2007)
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-02-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
Here is vid of Ruben Lenten from 04 or 05. First at 3rd Ave in the Bay...then Sherman Island in the Delta, where he acted like a total punk/jerk and nearly got booted. Finally, he is at the event site in Hood River. He's a punk, but an awesome rider.

Ruben Lenten...
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-02-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
i want to so bad! me and my friend want too, we went to the lake to skate/board today and it was sooo dammmn choppy!!!... wind mostly, kiteboarders were at a frenzy! looks like a ton of fun!!!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-03-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
I have taken a few lessons but don't live where there is consistant wind. I will gradually make my way into it over time. I bought a C-kite setup & learned on a BOW kite. Very hard to transition as a begginer. Definately take lessons!!!
Old    dabigkahuna            09-03-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
Nick, Kiteboarding is really not that expensive when you think about it. Sure you got to buy a $1,300.00 kite and a $700.00 board/binding set-up, but that's nothing in the world of wakeboarding. Unlike wakeboarding, once you have your gear it's pretty much free after that (wind is your gas, and it's free!). No $60,000 to $80,000 investment, not engine/fiberglass maintenance, no liability insurance, etc. etc.

Kiteboarding is awesome, I'm getting back into it. I used to Kiteboard daily, and it was a total blast.

(Message edited by dabigkahuna on September 03, 2007)
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-03-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
As for cost, I have been buying new kites from the distibutor when they are at least a year old. Things are changing so fast that they blow out last years stuff pretty darn cheap. I can't tell you how cheap...but if you ask around and find the right person....CHEAP.

Do you really need the newest stuff? NO. I even kited on my 12m that I learned on in 05&06 (it was 04 model year) recently when I had a leak in my current (06 model) kite. Had just as much fun.

I am still stoked on the original Maui wakestyle movement. It is funny now to hear the pro's now talk about their 'new' wakestyle moves ..and then you realize that it was stuff the Lou Wainman (still the best) was throwing 5+ years ago even bigger.

Check out the videos AWAKE and UNHOOKED from Tronolone Productions....available from SideOff Video. Great wakestyle kiting from the original Maui crew that started it all...
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-03-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
..kiteboarding is better with friends....so make sure you either make new friends or have some who are interested. Its much safer with people looking out for each other....and more fun!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-03-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
don't do dangly tricks.

and don't be annoying on beaches that people are chillin on
Old     (dozzzy)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-04-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
Stupid question of the day, but, how windy does it have to be to kiteboard. 10-15 mph winds? I had the same thought recently to pick up kite as our lake is too choppy to board in the middle of the afternoon probably on 50% of the days. We ride early and late day, so need to ocuppy the middle.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-04-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
.....yea thats minimum or light wind conditions for kite boarding.........to have some fun and not constantly have your kite fall out of the sky your lake should be full of white caps.....if you just have some whitecaps here or there...its not gonna be so good.......
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-04-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
Kiteboarding is wakeboarding for the guy who rides for himself. You can just roll out, ride for as long as you want, then bail. It removes all the pre-hassle and post-hassle involved with wakeboarding.

Kiteboarding is also very social. I would say its a better social atmosphere than wakeboarding. Several people are all riding at the same time, so you are having fun together on the water, but when you arent riding, you are on the shore kickin it with everyone. You arent stuck on the boat sitting. you chat with everyone on shore and watch your buddies rip on the water. You also may be playing with the dogs, throwing the football around, or making sure the fajitas come out just right.

Tips:

Take a lesson. its much more safe, but even safety aside, it will keep you from getting frustrated and quitting. You will learn more in a weekend of lessons then in three months of trying on your own. Trust me! I didnt take lessons.

When learning, ride with other riders every time. Kiteboarders look out for each other. They all know what its like to be in a bind, and they know you may repay the favor someday.

If you want to boost and dangle, then boost. When you want to do wakeboard tricks, keep the kite lower and load up on it like you would a cable. DO NOT boost and dangle, then proceed to do chin ups into something resembling a wakeboard trick.

If you really want the ideal setup for a wake influenced rider, you will want something the feels like a wakeboard. So you will want it to be the size you usually ride, but like mentioned above, you need a kite specific one with less rocker. LF makes some SICK wakestyle kiteboards.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-04-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
I was wondering when JG would chime in ....
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-04-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
When you going to give it another go, Gene? Thurs look like a maybe for Hubbard.
Old     (kalenk)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-04-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
kite boarding looks fun to try just for the hell of it, but good god i wouldnt take it serious...
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-04-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
Have you ever even seen it?
Old     (kalenk)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-04-2007, 5:23 PM Reply   
yes
Old     (biglap)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-04-2007, 6:17 PM Reply   
My cousin this weekend!!! 16-23 knots!!!
Upload
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-05-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
I seriously can't get out again on my kites until I get a fifth line on them or get an SLE or BOW kite. I learned on a Bow and it is to much of a pain to relaunch mine.
If I can ride one of your kites until I get mine fixed up I will definately come out. Call me.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-05-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
how about you keep it out of the drink!
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-05-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
Though I barely ride anymore, I tried the LF highbrid a while back and it was amazing... Best makes some great kites too...
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-05-2007, 2:38 PM Reply   
my friends been doing it, but he's doing it on a mountain board right now, not sure really...
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-06-2007, 3:57 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2_x-7hYZiU

Just stick it...
Old     (wakedog)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
Check this out. You could kite, wakeboard, and save the planet.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9773537-1.html?tag=cnetfd.blogs.item