Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2010, 4:23 PM Reply   
what is involved in upgrading from a 65 amp alt to a 115amp alt my motor is a mercruiser 350 mag . Will you have to upgrade anything else?
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
anyone
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-25-2010, 6:47 PM Reply   
Balmar is a good start:

http://www.balmar.net/

Please upgrade your overcurrent protection to handle the new amperage.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-25-2010, 11:23 PM Reply   
www.skidim.com or www.dbelectrical.com
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-26-2010, 5:51 AM Reply   
take your 65 amp alt to a reputable local place and have them rebuild it to a 90 ( U can prolly get 100-15 out of it). Make sure you tell them it's going in a boat. Will be much cheaper than buying brand new, and will prolly come with a better warranty.

anything bigger than 105 I'd say go with a trusted name like balmar.

Last edited by acurtis_ttu; 03-26-2010 at 5:54 AM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-26-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemaker01 View Post
what is involved in upgrading from a 65 amp alt to a 115amp alt my motor is a mercruiser 350 mag . Will you have to upgrade anything else?
What style belt do you have? If you only have a single v pulley don't go much over 100amps or you will burn up belts pretty quick.

For the alternators you have a couple choices if you want a reasonably priced OEM quality unit. Delco Remy makes the 95 amp unit that is currently standard on most Indmar engines. This should bolt in as it has a 2 inch foot. It also has dual internal fans so you don't have to worry about the fan rubbing on the water intake line if that is run close to the alternator. With the Delco 95 amp there is a plug that you have to buy with it and you have to run a wire to excite the alternator as it is ignition excited vs self excited.

The other ok option is a Prestolite/Leece Neville 90 or 105 amp 8MR unit. The problem with these is according to their output curve they don't turn on until ~1800 shaft rpm. The delco does at 1200. The Delco also has a better curve at low rpm's. Both alternators are probably going to be in the low 200's.

If you have a serpentine belt you have at least one better option. The Balmar 6 series comes in outputs up to 150 amps. It has a great curve and would be a great option if you couple it with Balmar's Max Charge regulator. This system isn't cheap though, probably running in the 700-900 range for the alternator, pulley and regulator.

With all these options, especially the balmar, you need to take a look at your current battery cables and see if they can handle the voltage. If no you risk creating to much heat and melting the cables and I am pretty sure you do not want to blow up your boat.

As for DB electrical, you tell me if you think a 150 amp alternator for a $150 is a quality product. There is almost no doubt it is made up of Chinese components. Also if they are advertising a 150 amp alternator will work with a single v pulley there is something weird going on.

I am sure there is a ton of other things to consider but this post is already too long.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-26-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
been running a db electric alternator for 2 years with no problems.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/Items/ho...Wire%20ADR0334
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-26-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
I do not recommend DB Electrical. I've had to replace it twice since getting one 2 years ago. Sure they warrantied it but an alternator should last longer. I'm swapping it out for a delco or the like. I can't afford a balmar yet. and putting a surepower isolator in.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-26-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by detonate69 View Post
I do not recommend DB Electrical. I've had to replace it twice since getting one 2 years ago. Sure they warrantied it but an alternator should last longer. I'm swapping it out for a delco or the like. I can't afford a balmar yet. and putting a surepower isolator in.
This is exactly what I am talking about. What good is a warranty if it is from an online store when you get left high and dry on the lake? No thanks.

Like in pretty much all industries you get what you pay for.

By the way there isn't really any need to have the alternator powder coated. It doesn't matter that much in freshwater and the alternator won't dissipate heat as well.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-27-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
What's the cost on a Balmar alternator for a small block Indmar?
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-28-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
Interesting post.

How do you know that your alternator is overloaded tho? I'm installing 3 amps in my boat (600W+600w+1000w) and i'm not sure my stock alternator on my mercruiser will be enough.