Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    swass            12-29-2009, 6:00 AM Reply   
Hi.

I promised the family that we'll get a dog by spring. So, I need to start looking now, if not sooner.

If you have any personal experience with a breeder for the following animals, I'd greatly appreciate your input: 1) German Shepherd Dog; 2) Mastiff; 3) Rottweiler. Not necessarily in that order. (I'm leaning toward the Rottweiler or Mastiff, myself.)

Ideally, I'd like to find a dog within a 12 hour or so drive from Denver, but I'll put the dog on a plane if I absolutely have to. I don't have a price point in mind, but I'd like to stay under $2k if possible.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

Chris
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-29-2009, 6:06 AM Reply   
WHOA! a swass sighting!!!

you should get a silky terrier. the big dogs on your list ain't got nuthin' on a silky!

hope all is well w/ you and your family.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-29-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
My wife works with a chiropractor who has 2 Bull Mastiffs. I know at one point he had puppies... I'm not sure if he is still breeding or not. I would get a German Shepard or a Mastiff over a Rottweiler. A Siberian Husky is always a beautiful dog as well.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-29-2009, 6:20 AM Reply   
I recommend the Mastiff. They are absolute kid lovers. My mother in-law has three. A Bull, and 2 English. My 3 y/o has been climbing all over them since she was old enough to move. They deter strangers, bark and growl if someone unknown approaches your property, but are total lovers, and great with kids.

I've was around a lot of Shepards growing up. Definitely more on the protective side, but far less affectionate and loving.....in my experience. Great for ripping apart an intruder though!
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-29-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
My buddy has a mastiff and loves her. He has raised a toddler from day one with the dog around and she has been nothing but great with his son. I've only met the dog a few times but she's very mellow and well behaved.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-29-2009, 6:57 AM Reply   
I vote for the GSD. GSD's can tend to be overly protective with family members if they're not socialized properly from a young age. Great with kids. I had one when I was little...we were best friends.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-29-2009, 7:08 AM Reply   
Don't forget about the drool factor. I had a Saint, and he was a wonderful dog, but man did he drool.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-29-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
We have an English Mastiff. She is awesome and does not drool that much. After she drinks or if she is really excited, but that is about it.

Got our from Magnolia Grove Mastiff's.

http://www.magnoliagrovemastiffs.com/

They are in VA but assuming they would plane it.

Tempermant and health wise, A+++. I could not show our dog as she has a very small white spot on here foot which is outside the breed standard, but I don;t really care as showing was never even a consideration for us.
Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-29-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
We've got a English Mastiff, he's still a pup, great lines, the breeder was amazing and he's great with kids. The only problem I have is he seems to believe he is a lap dog and still tries to lay across you. Keep in mind in my photo that I am 5'2 and he still has another 80lbs to go.
Upload
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-29-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
Mastiffs are great dogs! I dig them.

I recommend going to some local dog shows to meet/greet your local breeders. Find the ones that are breeding for the love of the breed with 1) temperament, 2) health and 3) confirmation priorities. They are always looking for great "pet" and "competition" homes. You should be able to meet 5 to 10 excellent breeders to weed through and work your way onto interest lists.

Look for the "AB" (All Breed) events on this page:

http://www.infodog.com/panels/co.htm
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-29-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
Swass , talk to the vet. I will check into a few too. Sometimes they are great for breeder info.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-29-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
Haha oh yeah, the Mastiffs my in-laws have drool like crazy! Pretty much snot-like drool hanging from their faces most of the time. Lol. 1 point for the Shepard in that department.
Old    swass            12-30-2009, 5:32 AM Reply   
Thanks, Manzo. I knew someone on here has a Mastiff, but I couldn't remember who it was. I think I tried to contact Magnolia once before, with no luck. I have an appointment to meet a few local Mastiffs tonight. One is the sire of a litter due in February. We were supposed to go last night, but there was a slight change in plans.

That's a good looking lapdog you have there, Ashley.

Good idea, Andy. I'll do that.

Thanks for everyone's input.

cp
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-30-2009, 6:07 AM Reply   
Swass, thanks for the PM but I tried to reply but you won't accept PM's!

Is your email address the same?
Old    swass            12-30-2009, 6:14 AM Reply   
ooops - sorry. Yes, it is.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-30-2009, 6:23 AM Reply   
No worries Swass. I am sure that you will be able to find a quality breeder much closer to home anyway. Probably a better idea just in case there is an issue down the road.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-30-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534974
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-30-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
Two of my fav site in one thread. Yeah.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-30-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
John,,,
Jomama section every day for my daily laugh!!
ADV is one of my favorite sites as well. Im actually driving right now to give a set of tires to a guy off the site who needs some for his nephew.
Old    swass            12-31-2009, 6:08 AM Reply   
I was wondering why you were sending me to Adventure Rider. I am very particular (anal, if you prefer) when it comes to dogs. Right or wrong, good or bad, I must have an AKC-registered, pure-breed dog.

The Mastiff is out. I got a huge, slobbery, wet kiss from a 200lb Mastiff named Hades last night. I was in heaven, but my wife was totally grossed out by that. She can't do slobber.

The boys seem to be absolutely dead-set against a Rottweiler, so I have acquiesced. It looks like we'll be getting another GSD.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-31-2009, 6:15 AM Reply   
Swass, it might be worth checking with some other mastiff breeders. If you find a line that has tighter jowls they won't be as slobbery. Don't get me wrong, they will slobber some, but as I mentioned, ours only does when she is excited and running around or right after she drinks.
Old    swass            12-31-2009, 6:30 AM Reply   
I would, but I don't want to talk the family into any dog that I may want. We're adding another member to the clan, so it has to be a "love at first sight" kinda thing.

(Message edited by swass on December 31, 2009)
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-31-2009, 6:41 AM Reply   
Good point....

My favorite saying: A happy wife = a happy life...
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-31-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
well if you can change your boys mind i can refer to, imo, the best breader on the west coast. these dogs are champions, have the blue ribbons to back it up and worth every penny!!!

http://www.wcrotts.com/

Upload
Upload

i dont know anyone that can resist a rotti pup. they look like little tiny bear cubs.

Upload
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-31-2009, 9:32 AM Reply   
Roti puppies are as cute as they come. The adults are pretty intimidating unless you know the dog.
Old    deltahoosier            12-31-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
Make sure you check your home insurance. Some dogs can get you dropped or affect your premiums if they find out. I think German Shepards are on that list. May be worth the look into.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       12-31-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
My next Dog.

Upload
Newfoundland
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-31-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
Swass. There is a breeder/rescue/place in conifer that is all pure white german sheps!! Badass looking dogs.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-31-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
The newfi is another super sweet large breed.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-31-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
Newfis are great... Though after our Shepard/Wolf mix and his molting and massive amounts of hairballs , there is not a long haired dog in our near future.

Good friends have a Bernese and he is great.

We have always wanted a swissy too.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-31-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
I too would vote for a rotti. But I'm biased.
Plus side : no lethal tail and your boys are older.
Downside: Homeowners insurance, but you've had a GSD so that should not be an issue.

Newfis drool just as much as a Mastiff. Would be perfect for living in CO.
Old    swass            12-31-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
I resorted to dirty pool. I showed my kids Bryan's tiny bear cub pics. I now have permission to pursue the Rotti angle.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-31-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
I have a GSD,got him from the GSD Rescue in Nor Cal,and they have orgs all across the US.Its sad that alot of theses dogs have just been dumped due to the housing crunch,mine was dumped in a field somewhere near Merced,had a broken leg that had never healed right,and was never taken care of.

He's absolutely beautiful,great with the family,and a hell of a guard dog.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-31-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
You can show them my rotti pup pics in my profile. They can see the heart shape on her butt.
Those were taken when she was @7wks.
Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-31-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
Jeff, I used to have a newfi, and his grooming was crazy, be sure you are prepared to have drool EVERYWHERE in your house. We took him to the groomers and they spent 6 hours every 3 weeks to get him cleaned up.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-31-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
swass got your pm, sent you an email, call if you have any questions. jenna and i are very passionate about rotti's and would love to help in any way.

phantom how old is your baby girl? are "little" guy is 3 now. the pug is his best friend!!!

here is his first intro to swimming, now he's a fish. he can retrieve decoys like no other its great.

Upload

Upload

first real bath....
Upload

Upload
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-31-2009, 7:23 PM Reply   
its so hilarious watching learn to walk, there balance is so off because there tail is docked and they have boxing glove size paws, lol.

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-31-2009, 8:43 PM Reply   
Unfortunately my baby passed away 5 yrs ago. She was the apartment complex favorite. Kids were always asking if she could come out and "play". When the kids had her by the leash she would stay by their side. Never once did she pull a kid while on leash. She would give me a pull though.
Was told by many that Maddi had a friendly face.... funny to hear with all the bad rap rotti's get.
Worked hard to please and knew by the look if she was in trouble.
Mine loved to play & sleep on her back - how about yours?
I would love to get another one, but work hours doesn't permit and I would definitely have training done back in Bakersfield again.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-31-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
so sorry to hear that about her. but it sounds like she was a typical rotti, 100% full of love and always there for you. i have never had a person timid to approach cyrus. everything you stated is so true, the emotions these dog show are crazy. they are so easy to read. you are right about them getting a bad rap. like i have stated before i have never been scared of a rott but have nearly been ran up a tree by your simple lab. and did you say sleep on his back? omg like a baby every night, its the only way he sleeps. he will jump in bed with me and lay right next to me on his back with his head on the pillow.

Upload
Upload
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       01-01-2010, 7:53 AM Reply   
I think large breed dogs can be great, loving family dogs. The downside is not being able to pick them up if you have to, proper grooming can take forever, and they unfortunately have relatively shorter lifespans (20-30%) compared to smaller dogs.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-01-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
We've decided on an English Bulldog for our first family dog.
Upload

We bought our son a few fish and told him if he showed he could be responsible with them for six months we'd get him a dog.

Looks like we'll be adding a family member this March.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-01-2010, 6:37 PM Reply   
not sure if an english bulldog's a good choice for a first family dog, especially if you have small children. they're really stubborn and can be real protective of their food around kids. also, i hope you don't mind a lot of vet bills.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-02-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
"Jeff, I used to have a newfi, and his grooming was crazy, be sure you are prepared to have drool EVERYWHERE in your house. We took him to the groomers and they spent 6 hours every 3 weeks to get him cleaned up."

Thanks Ashley, I am very familiar with Newfies, we have had a few in the Family over the years.

They are a lot of work to keep looking nice, but worth it IMO.

I will have my dog groomer, come by once a week to keep her looking perfect, my dogs are spoiled rotten!!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-02-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
Went to visit swass today. He got a teacup poodle. Who would have known
Old    swass            01-04-2010, 6:21 AM Reply   
Next time, keep your vicious MinPin away from my precious baby! Damn thing messed up her bows and broke a nail. You'll be hearing from her stylist. He is quite upset.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-04-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
"not sure if an english bulldog's a good choice for a first family dog, especially if you have small children. they're really stubborn and can be real protective of their food around kids. also, i hope you don't mind a lot of vet bills."

...Maybe we got lucky then. Cliff, just make sure you go to a good breeder.

Chloe is 10 years old now, and she was our first family dog. No vet bills except regular shots, and check ups when she was young.
She loves going in the boat, and waits patiently for the next ride ;-)

Upload
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-04-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
Swass, any reason you aren't considering a Dane? A lot like a Mastiff in regards to size and tempermant. Also, Danes are very good with children. We have two and neither of them slobber at all.

Upload
Upload
Old    swass            02-26-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
After a few months of searching, I finally found our breeder. The mom's name is Luna. Dad is a beast. His name is Patrone. He won Best of Breed at the 2010 Westminster Dog Show. If all goes according to plan, puppies will be born in early June.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-26-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
Swass, what breed did you decide on?
Old    swass            02-26-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
Rottweiler
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-06-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
Great choice...I hope you choose a female. Not as aggressive as males, plus it would be a great " little sister" for your boys.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-07-2010, 3:36 PM Reply   
swass, assuming you went with west coast rotts, let me know if and when your coming out this way. if i can i would love to hook up, you can meet my boy too. shoot me a call or an email, i would love to here more about your pup. congrats.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-08-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
Its absurd how cute his new puppy is.!!!!!!!!!!
Old    Chris            03-12-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
Thanks! She's been with us for a week now, and we couldn't be happier. She has me wrapped aroud her big paw about 100 times.

Her name is Fine Ground Pepper. Pepper, for short.

I don't know how to post a photo. I suck.
Old    Chris            03-12-2010, 9:04 AM Reply   
Pepper
Attached Images

Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-12-2010, 9:08 PM Reply   
Swass
You will love a Rott, one of the best dogs we have ever had. So loving and such a great addition to the family.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-12-2010, 9:20 PM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-12-2010, 9:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Pepper
i can see why you're wrapped around her paw...she's adorable! congrats man!
Old     (seabass)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-13-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
awesome looking pup!

I always love Rott puppies. They look like little bear cubs.

Pepper is a cool name.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-17-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
C'mon Swass!!!! I know you have more picture of you new baby. Put 'em up!
Old    Chris            03-17-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
I do, but I figure most people find this about as exciting as watching a neighbor's vacation slide show. In deference to them, I'll limit my love-fest to my photo album.

I don't have any more pics in my album yet. I'll get on it.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-17-2010, 7:18 PM Reply   
You can always get away with posting puppy picture It's just like posting up little kid pics. No one ever gets tired of the"cuteness" factor.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-17-2010, 9:21 PM Reply   
post em up buddy. we want rotti puppy pics!!!!!
Old    Chris            03-21-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
Here are a few more. Thanks for indulging me.
Attached Images

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-21-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
Nice SWASS.....

Really like #2..... She is beautiful!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-21-2010, 8:56 PM Reply   
Ice Cubes ! Best treat for your dog.
I know you have A LOT MORE.... quit holding out.
Are you planning on getting Pepper's dew claws removed? I'm glad I had my rotti's removed.
She developed this habit of reaching/pawing for attention.
Old    Chris            03-22-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
I have more, but they suck. I have to take 10+ just to get one decent shot. I cut her ear off in the first one, but that's one of the better ones. ; ( I have yet to get a good shot with Nicholas and Pepper.

She's so much fun I can hardly stand it. She has seen snow on the ground, but on Friday she experienced snow falling for the first time. At first, she tried to bite the flakes as they fell, but she soon gave up - "there's just too many of them!" And she discovered that she does NOT like a snow-covered butt. She was shakin the booty.

Last edited by Chris; 03-22-2010 at 7:01 AM.
Old    Chris            03-22-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
The dew claws would really have to be a problem before I would consider removing them. So far, no issues.
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-22-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
not sure if an english bulldog's a good choice for a first family dog, especially if you have small children. they're really stubborn and can be real protective of their food around kids. also, i hope you don't mind a lot of vet bills.

DISAGREE!!! My wife and I bought an English Bulldog 1 1/2 years ago, and he has been the best pet we have ever had. We have three young nephews and nieces under 2 years old and Napoleon (our bulldog) is great with them. As far as medical bills, we have not paid anything more than the normal fees (ie; rabies, puppy shots, yearly vaccines). There are bad rumors going around about HUGE vet bills for English Bulldogs, but I personally think if you know how to take care of a dog and know the breeder and don't have one shipped to you from a "puppymill" than you should not have any problems! He is a loving dog who is always happy to see me. We have another dog, (Maverick the Jack Russel) and they each have their own dog food bowls and don't get protective over their food. So, as for an English Bulldog for a first family dog, I would think it would be a wise choice!
Attached Images

Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-22-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I have more, but they suck. I have to take 10+ just to get one decent shot. I cut her ear off in the first one, but that's one of the better ones. ; ( I have yet to get a good shot with Nicholas and Pepper.

She's so much fun I can hardly stand it. She has seen snow on the ground, but on Friday she experienced snow falling for the first time. At first, she tried to bite the flakes as they fell, but she soon gave up - "there's just too many of them!" And she discovered that she does NOT like a snow-covered butt. She was shakin the booty.

Well I'm sure you wouldn't like snow on your fur cover booty either.

You'll get those pictures yet! Usually the best pictures taken are the random fire ones... Just keep your field wide and crop in photoshop.
Old    Chris            03-22-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom5815 View Post
Just keep your field wide and crop in photoshop.
This! I tend to want to get way too close - my composition sucks. I know I'm terrible, but I don't really know how to get better. Good thing I'm not buying film!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-24-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
Quit holding out Swass... I know you've got a lot more in your photo album.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-24-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammm724centurion View Post
DISAGREE!!! My wife and I bought an English Bulldog 1 1/2 years ago, and he has been the best pet we have ever had. We have three young nephews and nieces under 2 years old and Napoleon (our bulldog) is great with them. As far as medical bills, we have not paid anything more than the normal fees (ie; rabies, puppy shots, yearly vaccines). There are bad rumors going around about HUGE vet bills for English Bulldogs, but I personally think if you know how to take care of a dog and know the breeder and don't have one shipped to you from a "puppymill" than you should not have any problems! He is a loving dog who is always happy to see me. We have another dog, (Maverick the Jack Russel) and they each have their own dog food bowls and don't get protective over their food. So, as for an English Bulldog for a first family dog, I would think it would be a wise choice!
i got my info from several vets and breeders, so take it for what it's worth.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-25-2010, 9:41 AM Reply   
I decided to buy an Australian Shepherd, what a great dog.

Meet R.J. he just turned 6 months old.
Attached Images

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-25-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
I decided to buy an Australian Shepherd, what a great dog.

Meet R.J. he just turned 6 months old.
awesome lookin' dog! aussies are super smart dogs....super active, too! i hope you have plenty of time to spend with r.j.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-28-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
awesome lookin' dog! aussies are super smart dogs....super active, too! i hope you have plenty of time to spend with r.j.

Thanks Joe.

Yes Joe R.J. goes everywhere with me, to work, to the lake and to the Cable Park, you are correct, he is full of energy and very active, but he knows when our work is done, it is time to chill.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-04-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
Alright Swass..... I know you're holding out on me. I'm living through you for my Rotti fix.
Put 'em up or.... else
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-05-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
MightSAM, great looking English! My Granddad had one when I was growing up. They are awesome dogs.
Old    Chris            04-05-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
I'll take "or else" for $500, Alex.

I do have more. I'll get on it!

She's getting big. She can't walk under the coffee table anymore without ducking. She whacked her head a few times before she figured it out.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-31-2010, 7:21 PM Reply   
Well it's been 3 months since you last posted pictures of Pepper.... I'm sure she's grown a lot and done some funny things.
Quit holding. Everyone would love to know how she's adapting to the Swass family.