Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-29-2003, 6:07 AM Reply   
in my '02 xstar, there are two black hoses that go from the hole down into the bilge area. one is behind the kick panel in front of the driver, and the other is underneath the passenger seat. are these absolutely necessary to have?

i just installed a sub box in front of the drivers feet, and now the box is blocking the hole and is preventing me from putting the hose back on. is it ok to leave it off? my box is waterproof, so i am not worried about rain water. just worried about air flow or whatever purpose it served.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-29-2003, 7:13 AM Reply   
Those holses vent the engine compartment. I would not block them.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-29-2003, 7:21 AM Reply   
i apologize. let me rephrase that.

the hole in the floor is not blocked. the hole in the top of the fiberglass is not blocked. the box is touching the bottom edge of the hole, so i cannot get the hose and clamp back around it.

but, air can still pass through it. it just wont be directly to the bilge area. it will be to the area under the seats.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       08-29-2003, 8:41 AM Reply   
Do you have more than 1 intake leading the forces air to the engine compartment?
With hose disconnected you are no longer "ramming" air into the engine compartment to get the nasty fumes out. I wouldn't risk it.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-29-2003, 8:50 AM Reply   
Plus, the Indmar engines run much better the more fresh air you get to them. I suggest reconnecting the hose as well.

McFly
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-29-2003, 10:42 AM Reply   
And this, my friends, is what leads to the future unfortunate thread:

"My boat blew up when starting it, what happened?"

It is even specified BY LAW according to the Coast Guard the have a ventilation system, and it is very specific WHY.

Good attempt at rationalization Chaun, but there is a reason the system is designed as it is. Boats have blown up before and I wish I could find the specific article.

Anyway, we all have free will to make our choices. I just hope your boom of the stereo doesn't result in the "boom" of your boat.

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-29-2003, 11:10 AM Reply   
shawn - i will admit, i am only looking forward to one of those "booms" you are talking about.

i do have the hose on the other side still connected. i guess i will go home tonight and try to duct tape (fixer of all things) the hose to the hull, instead of clamping it. i know the clamp wont work. its hard enough just to crawl through the front seat to get to where i need to go. if i have trouble duct taping it, i am not sure what i am gonna do
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-02-2003, 11:23 AM Reply   
Chaun:

The requirements for the fuel system, electrical, and ventilation provide for a "triple redundant" safety system. The fuel system, including the pump, is designed so that it won't leak fuel into the boat. The ventilation system is designed to remove the vapors that might accumulate, and the electrical system is designed so that it won't ignite any fuel vapor.

Any time you defeat one of the safety devices you increase the risk. You can install an automotive fuel pump, and it will be fine, at least until the diaphragm ruptures and it starts leaking. You can replace the alternator or starter with a non marine version and everything is great, as long as you haven't spilled any fuel. And you can disconnect your ventilation system and probably be OK. Note the word "probably".

Gas vapors are heavier than air, and they will settle to the bottom of the boat (which, by the way, is where your starter is......). The blower should be connected so that it draws air from the lowest part of the boat that is above the "high water" level for normal bilge operation. A fresh air intake, normally located towards the front of the boat, should direct fresh air into the bilge space so that there is a continuous flow of air to keep things mixed up.

Removing the hoses that bring fresh air into the bilge space wouldn't necessarialy make the boat "unsafe" but it would make it "less safe".

One thing to keep in mind: If your boat does blow up and cause injury and/or property damage, and an investigation determins that a required safety item had been removed and/or defeated, it could certainly change the outcome of any lawsuits that might result and/or how your insurance company pays......

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-02-2003, 3:01 PM Reply   
maybe to allow ventilation for drying purposes.
Old     (faceplant409)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-06-2003, 10:14 PM Reply   
Those hoses work in conjunction with the blower (you know, that switch on the dash you are supposed to use before startup and below cruising speed) to clear fumes from the engine comp.

Maybe the investigator wont find the cause, but I'd start thinking up a good story to tell YOUR dead passengers families.

Forgive me if I restated already given info...I did not read all posts.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-07-2003, 9:18 AM Reply   
I think the real question behind Matt's post is adding the subwoofer worth the risk of having the vent hoses disconnected?

Personally, I would say no. I would change the box before I changed the vent system.