Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-13-2003, 8:10 AM Reply   
Something that many in San Diego were expecting--just never know for certain until it's in black and white. Page 10 in SD Union-Tribune this morning has the full story.

Some excerpts from Ed Zieralski's article:
--Brown's retirement announcement came one day after the 29th anniversary of his taking the job overseeing recreation at the city's 10 lake system. His last day is Thursday. Brown plans to stay on with the city to work on special lakes recreation projects--
--"I'm retiring one foot at a time," Brown said. "I'm no longer going to be responsible for the overall program. But our director (Water Dept Director Larry Gardner) told me he would like me to be available on a part-time basis."--

Many of us are wondering what changes will be made to the recreational program--if any. Anyone care to speculate on the future of water sports on our lakes as a result of this announcement?
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-13-2003, 9:01 AM Reply   
Depends in no small part on who takes over Jim's duties. Jim has been the sole decisionmaker for many years, laying down the rules as to who gets what as he sees fit (and since he is a fisherman with many fishing buddies, it is no secret as to which groups have made out under this regime). Let's hope someone with a vision of the ENTIRE program that is more inclusive and understanding of our sport takes over.
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-13-2003, 4:44 PM Reply   
Paul, I agree completely. Maybe a hire from outside the county. Someone that doesn't have personal ties with so many local fishermen and therefore doesn't feel obligated to do their bidding.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2003, 7:11 PM Reply   
According to my friends in the SD Parks & Recreation when a position like this is posted, they only have to take 3 applications to review. You as the public do not have no say in the selection process. It can go to an outside applicant, but highly unlikely. Vacated positions will probably post for 2 weeks.
Normally it will be handed down to the next person in line...the one who's been standing behind Jim Brown waiting for him to retire.
But then again with all the money problems in CA, the postion could end up being part-time with JB still making all the decisions.
I'll see what I can find out next week from my inside source....