Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (familyman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-07-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
I will be getting a v drive boat for the family but I also love fishing. Would I probably be the only person using their V Drive to do a little fishing??

Does anyone else fish off their ski/wakeboard boats?
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-07-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
Nope, never even had a fishing pole in my boat.
Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-07-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
I feel your pain. I was an avid fisherman for a while and wanted to try wakeboarding so I just bought a DD a few weeks ago. I have conceded the notion that I probably won't be fishing out of it. If I can't use a trolling motor cover alot of water, I feel like it is a waste of time. In addition, I am pretty anal about cleanliness and although fish slime is welcome in a bass boat, I don't want it in the wakeboard boat. Now I just feel bad for the fisherman I pass and try to give them as much room as I can because I know wakes aren't any good for worming!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-07-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
Well it gives me great pain to post this
http://www.centurioncrew.com/Centurion-firstFish-t1500.html&hl=fish
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-07-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
buy a center console mc
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-07-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
We use ours, just for casual fishing. Works fine.

Here's the boat to get: a Fish Nautique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac8--SYsNvI
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-07-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
Who cares. It is your boat and you can do whatever you want in it. Sure it may look a little out of place but you don't NEED to have a fishing specific boat to cast a couple lines out with your family.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-07-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
depends on the type of fishing. When the hybrids are hitting in deeper water I will go out and get in with the big group of bass boats jigging slabs. They look at you like "what the hell?" The best was when I pulled in a 4-5 pounder, threw it back and left after about 10 mins to go ride!
Old     (familyman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-07-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
These are awesome posts. I can see a potential business here. V Drive fishing conversion kits for only $1,999=) The board racks turn into fishing holders when fishing.

Actually, I like the V drive. Growing up we had a ski boat I/O and we loved it. Wake board, knee board, tubing, skiing and fishing.

One of the things I love about the v drives is the seating setup and the prop under the boat. I cannot recall how many times we hit our shins on the prop (engine off of course).

I love it all! V drives are new to me but I like what I hear and see about them and seems would be a great family boat.

WOW, Fish Nautique

Kevin B. I like your trolling motor and Torrey you are absolutely right.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-07-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
Just to make it clear that is not my boat I just saw that post on Centurion Crew
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
Good cuz I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I saw that.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-07-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
If it's your boat,I say do whatchalike.

I'd much rather see someone fishing out of a wakeboard boat,than pulling some beer drinkin adults around in a tube.
Old     (210hippy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-07-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
I hate to admit it, but I do it.It's much more user friendly than the canoe.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-08-2009, 5:37 AM Reply   
Its like hauling dirt in a Corvette.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-08-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
i sturgeon fish in the river outta my boat .... jan through march shallow water in suisun bay, 2 anchors out front and back .... we also striper fish in disco bay drifting bluegills oct to dec .... they are just boats and the more you do in them the better off you are .... ive done this in all my ski boats since the early 80's
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
caught alot of bass standing on the swimstep. i release them so the fish never make it in the boat.
Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-09-2009, 7:05 AM Reply   
Beat me to it. I own a conveyor belt company and am always thinking of new ideas and this was one of them. My dad has cancer and loves to fish. I made a pattern for the inside of the boat to install a rubber floor to cover the entire boat(no snap in carpet). I then purchased a swivel seat and installed it on the ski pole in the back (also good for an observer/photographer while boarding). I took the bow seats out, made a template, cut some marine plywood and covered it in the same matting and installed two swivel seats. Good thing is that it converts back within minutes but I can now take my dad out.
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-09-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
Matt, you got any pictures? I'm curious to see it.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-09-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
You need a Mastercraft CSX 220. All the fishing capabilities you could want and the wake of an XStar. CSX220 will be my next boat for sure.
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-09-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
We have fished out of ours, we just fill a rough tote with water and put it on the swim step. Neither the rods or the fish come anywhere near the interior, but we don't have far to go cuz there's a walleye spot about 200 feet off of our dock.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-09-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
I have a MC customer that mounted a 8hp kicker to the back of his CSX 220 and takes it up to Vancouver Island for salmon fishing every year!! Then he'll bring it down to Lake Washington to wakeboard and surf.
Old     (familyman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-09-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
Matt Beck, I would love to see some pics of your conversion kit.

I'll market it down in Nor Cal. Then I can pay for my boat.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-09-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
put some rocket launchers on the tower
Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-09-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
It's pretty cool. I'll take some pics. The rubber looks nice but a pain in the ars to cut the template for the main cabin. I may keep it in there just so I don't have to dry out the carpet for days on end.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-10-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
I don't know how many times we have been sitting in a cove just hanging out waiting to do a sunset ride when those fish start to jump. Been keeping a couple of poles in the boat ever since. The only 2 rules are no fish in the boat and no lures on the vinyl.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-04-2009, 10:05 PM Reply   
Yo,
I have an X15. I mounted some rod holders to a board and thow them in my board racks.

I go fishing when the water isn't smooth, or when the fishing is really good. I fish for Coho and Chinook Salmon - this spring I am going to go for ling cod too. I also get a lot of crab.

The boat isn't ideal for fishing - I bought the boat for wakeboarding. However, why not fish it. I can only wakeboard so long.

I have a big swim step - so I can take care of business and not get guts in my boat.

It all depends on how much time you spend on the water.

If you only go out every now and then and fish primarily from your wakeboard v-drive - you bought the wrong boat.

If you ride a ton, and have extra time to be on the water.... "Go Fish"
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-05-2009, 12:46 AM Reply   
"put some rocket launchers on the tower"

I throw camo netting over my tower in the winter and use it as a duck blind.

We usually have too many people in the boat to safely cast. Especially the one guy that has to break out the giant crank bait.
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-05-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
We use our V210 2 weeks every year fishing Lake Almanor for trout. 5 am almost every morning. 2 rods across the engine cover, 2 out the front. I even represent with a big Gamakatsu sticker on my board I have to agree...it's your boat, do what you want with it.

UploadUpload
Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-05-2009, 7:22 AM Reply   
A couple pics.Upload
Upload
Old    dhorton            10-05-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
I fish off of my super air all the time:
Upload

Though I also fish from this one too:
Upload
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-05-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
As you can see fishing can and has been done out of wakeboats but so many things go against it - lack of hard decks, immobile prop / rudder, weight / lack of tight spacer maneuverability, a tower that is in the way.... When I used to fish more, I came to the realization that it was better to get some used 14-16' jon boat with an outboard and trolling motor for $1000-$2000 instead of throwing money at modifying the wakeboat.
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-05-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
Lake, I hear you but thats the beauty of it. You don't have to modify anything and it's way more comfortable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to be cutting bait in my boat or winning any tournaments but for taking the kids out and getting the fishing fix, it works well. The only thing I did was tie a keeper out of 3mm line with a snap on each end and a loop in the middle. I throw it over the ski pylon and hook each end to my reels. I have a tendency to fall asleep and many times woke up to my rod going over the side.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-05-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
we fish on ours now and again...
Upload
Upload
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-05-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
The only hooks on my boat are tunes!
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-05-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
Dave that's one nice Trout, and a nice smile to go with it.

My brother loves the water but he had a head injury (head on drunk driver) and can no longer board. I love taking him out and letting him drop a hook and let him get some enjoyment on the boat, good times on the Black and Blue.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       10-05-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
Yeah if you're looking for something that is really built to be able to do both, definitely look into the Mastercraft CSX220.