Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-31-2011, 7:52 PM Reply   
For wakeboarding only and no balast, which one will put out the best wake in what order. Also, what was the cut off year for wood?
thanks ahead
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-31-2011, 8:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
For wakeboarding only and no balast, which one will put out the best wake in what order. Also, what was the cut off year for wood?
thanks ahead
The Sport is an all-around good boat, and shared very little with the other two. The Excel and Barefoot were the same boat. I would put the Sport above those two, but a few people have really good wakes using the Excel/BF. The hull of the Sport is the same as the Super Sport, just with a direct drive layout.

1992 was the last year for wood, but the Excel/BF is a grey area. If you look at the old brochures on CorrectCraftfan.com, it never notes all composite construction for those two like it does for every other boat in the lineup. Even people that worked at CC at the time cannot verify one way or the other.

Last edited by MattieK27; 08-31-2011 at 8:16 PM.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-31-2011, 8:21 PM Reply   
3) Would you buy a '92 Excel VD for $8K over '93 Sport DD for $11k ?
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-31-2011, 8:47 PM Reply   
I think I would pick the one that was in the best condition.

Other factors to consider; the Excel was a great boat for rough water, the Sport is better for skiing, and it might be easier to resell the Sport since it definately has 100% composite construction.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-31-2011, 9:06 PM Reply   
Absolutely if it's in good shape. It's a solid Nautique wake, maybe a little above your knee with no trough we usually have 2 people and a rider. The ride is wonderful with and gets better with a little weight in the bow. Change the stock prop out to an Acme 328, stuff a few pop bags in the bow and your ready to go.

Wood isn't a great concern, the bilge is very deep and if the bilge pumps are working properly water shouldn't get anywhere near where things are bolted to the stringers. They also began using resins in the 90's that are stronger and don't let the water through as easy the polyester resins of the 80's would. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having to do a stinger job on a Vdrive Barfoot/Excel or a Sport Nautique.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-31-2011, 9:29 PM Reply   
What years did the Sport make big changes? What were they?
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-01-2011, 5:38 AM Reply   
CCF has everything you need, look for the original brochures in the reference section. I think mid 90's was when the Sport changed from the integrated platform, I would guess 95, the year the Super Sport came out.