Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-15-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
I am taking off on a 4 day trip in the morning and my local dealer has proline.
My rope has seen better days.
I was looking into the Proline LG package. I've never used this type of cable before, just a non stretch rope... Is there a difference between the rope and cable?
I read that the handle sinks, but proline fixed this problem from 2 years ago?
any advice would be cool. thanks
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-15-2010, 8:15 PM Reply   
i have a proline lg handle/rope package from this year and it sinks too once handle fills with water.it's a good package durability wise but it will sink.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-15-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
The only thing better than the LG is the LGS, which just adds a stitching pattern for even more grip. The old handle did sink, but the new ones are sealed with foam at the end so it does float. What I've noticed though is that is just barely floats, and when you start pulling it in, the handle actually dips down below the surface as the rope pulls.

As for the mainline, its not a cable. Its the same sort of rope you are probably used to, it just has a plastic coating over the top of it. The nice thing about that is that as the boat circles around to pick you up, you can let the rope slide through your hand to get the handle without getting rope burn. The coating also protects the rope so it lasts longer.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-16-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
I love my LG handle/rope combo. They say they fixed the sinking problem and the LGS has proven pretty boyant, but the standard LG still sinks like a rock once it's filled with water. It really doesn't bother me at all. It stays on the surface when you're dragging it behind the boat and I've never had any trouble retreiving it when I'm riding. If you toss it into the water and wait a few minutes the handle will disappear. I think part of it is that the rope with the coating is a bit heavier and less boyant, so it sinks as well.

Like I said, it hasn't proven to be a problem at all. I guess if you were really worried you could spray some spray foam in the ends of the handle. IMO it should be like this from the factory, but for some reason they've never gotten to it.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       09-16-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
All the 2011 Proline handles have 4 hidden endcap floats and will stay buoyant.
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-16-2010, 5:45 PM Reply   
LG handle is horrible IMO Worst of the shammi/'leather handles. It will bunch and twist and rip up your hands.

LGS handles are great though.
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-16-2010, 9:35 PM Reply   
If its the 2010 prolines that are stitched, then i strongly suggest getting it! The ones that are stitched dont twist or bunch or anything, cause theyre stitched lol. Mine hasnt sunk all season and the material is in brand new shape still. Two of my friends also have the stitched handles and they ride twice a week and their prolines are still in brand new shape. I will never buy anything other than a proline stitched handle.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-17-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
Been using a LGS handle all summer and love it. I'll get another one next year, just for a spare. They float and the handle feels awesome.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-17-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
LG handles feel great but are crap for durability and for floating. I've had 4 of these and all have sunk right out of the box and all have torn up within few rides. Try elsewhere for a better brand.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-17-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
I'm on my third LG. They last a season for us which is 50ish hours of riding. The handle does sink but I fixed this by spraying "Great Stuff" (spray foam window insulation) in the handle. By the end of the year, the handle is pretty worn and twists a bit but is still useable. Never had one tear and everyone in the boat uses this same handle. Sounds like the LGS is the way to go, floats and the stitching should give it some more durability.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       09-17-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
Yeah - there are a few single LG handles from a couple years ago still on the shelves. They sink. 2010 products have a sealed ultra light aluminum bar that keeps the handle neutrally buoyant. 2011 all handles have the sealed 7076-T6 bar AND 4 hidden floats located inside the endcap - they float. Eubanks - we have gone back and forth on the LG - email me caseyj@ridecwb.com and I'll warranty a 2011 LG 3D or LGS to you to try. Sound good?
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-17-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
my proline LG sinks but has a nice chamois grip
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       09-17-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
I zip-tied a little piece of a noodle around the rope just before where the handle meets. Looks a little ghetto but keeps my handle floating like a champ.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-18-2010, 9:16 PM Reply   
Casey - Thanks. I'm sending you an email.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-18-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
I have the original LG, love the grip (it hasnt bunched on me in 3 seasons of riding, although Ive seen it happen to other people), the coated rope is nice, but it can get kinked easily when coiling it and the coating gets worn near the ends of the extensions, and it does sink which sucks. We lost our first LG because it wasnt attached to the tow point properly and popped off on a fall and sunk before we got back to it
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-19-2010, 10:48 PM Reply   
Awesome information from everyone, thank you. The I use the pro-line answer combo and the rope is wearing down and the handle sinks, so picking up a LG is probably the route i'll be taking.

Another question I had is with cwb board warranty. I have a 08 transcend plat and have about 30 hours of riding on it (i am still learning) I noticed on the bottom there are some bubbles and the board is starting to get little cracks. The dealer I picked it up from went out of business. Anyone have any tips? Thank you!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-20-2010, 4:43 AM Reply   
if you still have the reciept go to ridecwb.com and look under warranty procedures.
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-20-2010, 10:34 PM Reply   
Thanks, I contacted them today, wish me luck.