Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
I currently have a pair of Wetsound Pro 80's on my tower along with the Factory Roswell 6.5 cans, i am going to replace the Roswells with in the next couple of months but i can't decide which route i want to take. I am looking at getting another pair of the Pro 80's, or adding the Pro 60's or the MB8's. I am wondering for those of you who have Wetsounds already if you have this style setup how its sound with regards to sound quality in the boat and for the rider. I know either way it will be loud.

In case if it makes a difference for your recommendations i am running Infinity Reference for the interior speakers and a Kicker L7 15 for my sub. Sub amp - MTX 81001, Tower Amp - Kicker 750.4, and Interior amp - Kenwood from the factory.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-13-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
adding MB8's would warm up the sound a bit around the boat, but how do you have your current tower speakers wired? 1 per channel or are you bridging and running in parallel with your roswells? pretty sure wetsounds would recommend ideally having the MB8's on different channels than the 80's so they can get a different crossover setting.

(Message edited by brucemac on March 13, 2009)
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-13-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
thesack,

Bruce is correct. I prefer to run the MB-8 on their own channels when running the Double Up, which is PRO 60 and MB-8. So you can cross over the MB-8 lower. Now since you have the 80's. You can run a 2 ch amp to the 80 and MB-8 combo since they are both 8 inch drivers and can cross them over the same. But since you already have a 4 ch amp, you should be good to go in any of the set ups.

Which Kicker amp do you have? I cannot find a 750.4 Only a 650.4 and 850.4. 650.4 does 120x4 and the 850.4 does 175x4.

So if you have the 850.4, you would have good power.

As for which speakers. Depends on your sound goals. The MB-8 is designed for those that want a system that has a ton of punch for surfing and party cove. So you get more mid bass in and around the boat.

If you are wanting a super loud system for the rider, then adding the additional pair of 80's or 60's would be the route.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2009, 12:14 PM Reply   
1 Channel per speaker. I would have it wired so the MB8's are on a the same channel, it will make it alot easier to do the crossover settings like you said.
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
I have the 850.4...got the numbers confused with the 750.1 thats in my truck, i have a few too many amps...

Thanks for the info Tim. I am leaning towards either the Pro 60's or another set of Pro 80's. I know either one will be loud. The salesman at my local stereo shop says that the 60's have a cleaner sound to them, any truth to that?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-13-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
Sound is so subjective. He may prefer the sound of the 60's. Or he may have heard a pair that was tuned better than the 80's. Or he may have made the conclusion comparing an under powered 80 to a properly powered 60. There really is no telling. Since the 80's like more power. i would bet it is the under powered 80. when under powering our pro-axial driver. the horn is so efficient that it is going to be loud. And the mid bass driver needs the more power to get the most out of it. So when under powering them, you can get a lot of highs and not the amount of mid bass you should. You have heard people say they are bright. That goes back to people listening to them as an underpowered set up. I also voice them with the design that the high frequencies are flat. So the speaker does not need any boost. So sometimes you get installs where the ipod has treble boost on, the head unit has treble up and so on. So you are boosting a very efficient HLCD that does not need it.

The 80 and 60 use the same horn flare and the same compression driver. 60 uses a 6.5 inch mid bass and 80 uses a 8 inch mid bass. So that is the big difference between them. I tone the horn down on the 60 to match with the smaller mid bass driver. So the 80 is louder overall and more mid bass due to the large cone.

As far as clean sound. Both will be spot in terms of sound and voicing.

You have good power. So I would say go with the 80's. You would have 175x4 across the board. And you would be super loud. And it is nice to have it even if you don't need it!!

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-16-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info Tim. I will probably go with the Pro 80's again...we do have a reputation of being loud to uphold...

I think we talked about this before but i dont remember, have you guys thought about coming out with a shallow mount 6.5" interior speaker? I know on my 07 Supra 21V that i have a mounting depth of 2" which keeps my options for interior speakers limited. I know that i can add a spacer, but that is something i would prefer not to do.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-16-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
yeah, hopefully this summer for the 6.5. Not really a shallow mount but a step down from the XS-650. So in turn smaller magnet and shallower mount

Tim
Wet Sounds