Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old    tclagggym            04-17-2006, 11:39 PM Reply   
What can I say,proud Dad!
girls video
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-17-2006, 11:44 PM Reply   
Very cool Tim--Now where's the safety net dude?
Old    tclagggym            04-17-2006, 11:58 PM Reply   
Markj, there are no nets in gymnastics or wakeboarding.LOL
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-18-2006, 12:11 AM Reply   
Tim did that tramp come with 10 "free emergency room visits"? (kidding) I just bought one last year for my kids---best money spent on kid's toys ever! My wife wouldn't let us get one unless it had a net. I'm actually glad we got the net now because we don't have to worry when we're not watching.
Old    tclagggym            04-18-2006, 12:21 AM Reply   
Markj, We've had the trampoline now for about 4 years and no falls yet,knock on wood.Most of the tricks they do on the tramp, they have learned on the mats at gymnastics first.And most the time they are very safe and I am always with them when they are on the trampoline,and besides nets give you a false sense of security.LOL
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-18-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
insane
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-18-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
that is so awesome!!! We are moving in a few months, and thats all Cody cares about when we look at houses, is if the back yard is big enough for a trampoline.
Old    tclagggym            04-18-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
Does anyone else have kids that do this? If so, let's see it.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-18-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
Quote - Does anyone else have kids that do this? If so, let's see it.

I bought a trampoline recently, it doesn't have a net. I wanted to let my niece and nephew play on it but their parents said no way as it doesn't have a net. Then I saw the following article...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4885000.stm

Summarized here:

A study in the journal Injury Prevention found a "worrying trend" in the number of childhood fractures linked to trampoline use in the home.

The team found one hospital, the Royal Berkshire in Reading, treated eight children for trampolining-related fractures in two summer months in 2003.

They said metalwork should be padded and complex moves discouraged.

I guess they're right. Trampolines are dangerous if they don't have a net. And looking at mine (14ft dia.) I estimate 6 strong adults standing around the perimeter would be the only way of making it safe without a net.

Pete
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-18-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
Pretty sweet, I wish I could do that haha.

As for the net or no net.. Ehh I guess a net is the safe way to go. But ive been powerbombed off a trampoline just messin around wrestling with freinds. I dunno I guess if you have little kids the nets the safe way to go, but I seem to think there overated.
Old    cwbabsolute1080            04-18-2006, 7:46 PM Reply   
heres a vid of a tramp video I made ... the tramp has a net and I am very glad because I have fallen into it many times!!!

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php/Short-tramp-video_wakeboarding-photo.html?medid=16241
Old    tclagggym            04-18-2006, 9:43 PM Reply   
Pete, What is your point? My girls have been in gymnastics for over 3 years. Maybe I should have put a disclaimer. Don't try this at home the stunts you are about to see are by a 5 year old.Quote!
Old     (rob_c)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-18-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
Tim, I have 2 girls 7 & 5 also . They dig the trampoline and go big too!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-18-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
Tim,both of your girls seem very talented, however the point is really one of common sense. Sorry if this offends you but the fact is--they're much safer with than without.That's Pete's point. It's my point too. Frankly, I'd rather not spend the money on the net but when my kid's safety is at stake--I'd rather error on the side of safety. The whole reason why we waited so long to get one was because we had so many friends whose kids were injured w/out a net. But to each his own.
Old     (rob_c)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-18-2006, 10:59 PM Reply   
I'm not taking sides ,but for the record ours has a net.
Old     (lop)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-18-2006, 11:29 PM Reply   
Tim, that is awesome. I just got my kids their trampoline last August. They are 7 & 9 and starting to land their front flips. I got the net because it serves as their wrestling ring also.

Not trying to sound like an ass but I trained (gymnastics) on a trampoline for about 4 years. You should have them try their flips, both back and forward in the center of the trampoline so it does not throw them towards the edge, instead it will send you straight up. the handsprings are a different story.

(Message edited by lop on April 18, 2006)

(Message edited by lop on April 18, 2006)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-19-2006, 2:07 AM Reply   
Thats rediculous! They're 5 and 7 and better than me on one of those things.

I'd be proud to tim.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-19-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
Yeah markj, that is my point. I remember using trampolines with no nets when I was young and didn't think it was an issue. I've got one now and it's easy to see how dangerous it could be. I wanted to make the point just in case you hadn't considered it, cos I hadn't when I bought mine a couple of weeks ago.
I guess it's kinda like bike helmets - back when I was a kid no-one used them. Now almost all kids do.

Pete
Old    theresab            04-19-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
Nice video Tim!
I personally don't feel that the net is necessary...especially if they're gymnasts and already know the skills. The whole purpose of a tramp (in this case wakeboarding and gymnastics) is to be used as a training tool. Don't really see any nets out on the water or during a gymnastics meet.
I can understand using a net if a child is not use to being on one...but that still doesn't guarantee 100% that the kid will not get hurt.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-19-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
Yes, you don't really see any nets out on the water but I don't see any chance of landing on metal rails or solid ground when out 'boarding.

How I see it is that by using a net you are massively reducing your chance of injury in the event of a bad bounce that throws you off to the side. Of course ideally you wouldn't do a bad bounce in the first place so ideally you would never use the net. But things happen and the unexpected has a habit of showing up every so often.
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-19-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
Jesus Christ people let it rest. Everyone knows they have nets. The guy isn't recruiting your kids on his Death Trampoline so keep your good advice to yourself he is obviously not interested.

I am suprised any of you people let your children outside.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-19-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
The bigger point is.......not every parent has to make their kids world "idiot proof". You have some kids that play with Hot Wheels and some that try to eat them....hence the "choking hazard" warning on the pack. Most of us with kids know their abilites and limits. If not...maybe more time needs to be spent to keep a check on their progress now and then. My two year old twin girls have incredible balance, and my 8 year old son does too. They can handle the tramp pretty well. Things can happen and they probably will get hurt sooner or later doing something, but if I thought there was even an outside chance one of them could be injured doing whatever...it doesn't happen. Having a 5 year old that can bust backflips with CONTROL is too cool to have a net around! Thanks for sharing that vid Tim!

DC
Old    tclagggym            04-19-2006, 8:50 PM Reply   
How many of you thought that Girls Trampoline Video was something else?
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-20-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Wow, thats great for a 5 and 7 year old.

Couple comments on the nets
First of all I feel they serve a purpose but are way overrated. If you want your kids to be safe on a trampoline then don't let them bounce. Trampolines are inherently dangerous and a net while providing limited safety also provides a false sense of security. I grew up with a trampoline in the backyard (no net) and we have had numerous injurys and none of the serious injuries involved someone flying off the mat or landing on the frame. We've had a torn acl and a compound arm fracture. Both were just instances where the person came down wrong on the mat. After about four years of having the trampoline we dug a pit and made the trampoline ground level still no net. Oh, all the serious injuries on our trampoline happened when more than one person was jumping at a time.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-20-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
I have been on the our trampoline since i was only a few months old. We have only had 1 serious injury on it. 1 broken leg. It was a bunch of kids, un supervised, being stupid. It was doing a seat drop, with a locked knee. It was not hitting the ground or the side. I belive the nets are great if you have a bunch of kids who have never been on it before, and you want to leave the housee for a few hours and know they wont get hurt. I much rather have good rules, of only 1 person at a time, know how to stop, always have other people there to help in case something does happen. Know ho to stop your self. Parents, watch your kids when they are on it. The chances of someone getting hurt go up fast the more people that are on the trampoline, since thebed is not flat, but bending under other's weight. Someone who is not used to this does not know how to control them selves. Trampolines are dangerous, but a few percautions, and "common sense" will save you alot of trips to the ER.

We do not have a net. I trust my self more to be in control than the net to stop me. I would be afraid of getting my fingers caught in the net, or clipping the top of the net.

have fun, be safe.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-20-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
there should be a warning on this video. I am like yeah! Girls on trampolines, man show style! Then suddenly I feel like a petafile!

Old     (lukeh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-22-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
nets suck....when I was trying off axis 7's on ours my toe got in the mesh netting and ripped the skin right off so that the bone was showing...I couldn't wakeboard for about a week after that. we've had our tramp for about 3 years now without the net and never had an injury on it yet...you just have to know that you need to throw all tricks from the center and not the sides