Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-23-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
Ive been to OWC a few times and i can do some pretty decent stuff but i still feel like a noob because i do a sitting dock start.

Whats the easiest way to do a standing dock start at a cable park. Im heading over there tuesday and really wanna get it.

Help??
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-23-2008, 3:45 PM Reply   
It sounds like I'm being a dick but, just jump.

its like a dock start from a boat, just a stronger pull... try it, first one you fall, oh well....you'll know what went wrong I would guess if you don't land the first, you'll get it the 2nd or 3rd try
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-23-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
If you have done a dock start behind he boat, its the same thing. Just watch the carrier come around, pick up your line, right as your line is about to go tight, jump.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-23-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
oh ok...yeah i can do a sitting dock start no problem i just never tried a standing one. Wanna know how to do it before falling a lot in the cold haha
Old     (toxis)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-23-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
Watch the rope. When the slack gets out of it and just barely starts to pull, jump and turn the board. If you jump to early, you might get going but it'll yank on your shoulders and that hurts. If you wait too long, it'll pull you pretty hard and far into the lake but you'll land. Just remember that and keep trying. Just let the slack out and jump. Done and done.
Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-23-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
the guys that run the cable there showed me how to do it without giving me a hard time. Two tries and I had it. i believe that you wait a half second after the "pop" from the cable going around the last turn.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-23-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
It's a LOT easier then boat dock starts and deep water starts. It's probably the easiest way to get going on a wakeboard period. Like said above... just jump. Hold you arms in stiff a little and keep it low at you waist so that the board comes underneath you. After you figure out the timing wait a split second longer and let it carry you out a good ten feet, it feels good. The worst that can happen is you fall and your swim isn't too far.

My buddies first attempt at it [he could already do a dock start behind a boat] the cable dude told him when to jump, he jumped, and fell in to the water handle still in his hands. Apparently the line fell off and didn't catch. First and only time I've ever seen that happen.
Old     (toxis)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-23-2008, 10:02 PM Reply   
Will, I would say it's a lot longer than a half a second from when the cable hits the last corner. I'd say it's 2-3 seconds.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-24-2008, 5:07 AM Reply   
PATIENCE. When you think its time to jump... count to 2 then jump. Several face plants from jumping too early taught me that.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-24-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
I faceplanted first try... got some humility... anyways just as the line is about to go tight... hop and keep the handle low and IN... pull it in to keep upright... I also faceplanted at the turn before the dock too lol. Try it when there aren't many ppl in line that way you don't have to wait or waste a carrier
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-24-2008, 6:59 AM Reply   
Delta,
Last time i went there were 7 people there and there are 7 carriers, and there will be even less people tomorrow because of the temp. Thats why i wanna do it, no line!!
OWC in the winter i great because you can ride all day with no wait
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-24-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
Wait for the carrier to go around the turn pully, *then* bend your knees and jump. That should give you the right timing.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-24-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
If you faceplant over the nose before hitting the water your leaving too late. If you start sinking and get the rope pulled out of your arms your leaving too early. When you get it just right its flat out effortless to get up to speed. The biggest thing is the embarrassment of falling off the start dock...but whatever...get over it...its just wakeboarding.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-24-2008, 3:04 PM Reply   
Nice Tom. When I was there it wasn't busy, but the friday was really nice and there was a little bit of a wait... its just that the really good people rode for a good deal of time. Some awesome talent by the way... If anybody here was there Friday the 14th... I was impressed!
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-24-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
I made the mistake of waiting a split second too late to jump at TSR this summer. I wanted to get as much air time off the dock as possible so I went into a tweaked out raley and strained my lower abs getting the board back under me. Every time I started it kept pulling it more and more until finally I had to start by sitting down. So timing is everything. Its really easy, I just screwed up and got unlucky with a bad position.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-24-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
I can jump start but i choose to sit start so I can wash off the handle and my hands from loobing up the bindings.

Don't feel like you have to jump start because other people do.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-24-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
If I can do it anyone can do it because I'm a girl
Wait for the carrier, look and listen to it hook your line
Do a 2 sec count
Hop off the dock always keep the board between you and the cable
Lean back and keep your handle in tight to your body.

Works for me.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-24-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
The key for me was when the operator told me to keep my 'core' tight. I was bending over a little at the waist trying to 'jump' up and got pulled over the front...when you jump just make sure to keep your waist from breaking and your body will swing like a pendulum and you'll be good to go.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       11-24-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
Try this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FEGSZf3LY4

Practice makes perfect...
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-24-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
tom, I will be there tomorrow so you won't be the only one trying to learn dock starts! I'll be there around noon I think.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-24-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
Yeah man ill be there around noon too...ill have a black j-star board and ronix boots and a silver jetpilot vest. dont be afraid to say whats up..me and a couple of friends will be out there for a 4 hour session
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-24-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
cool, ill be on a ronix frontier w/ scout boots. see ya tomorrow