Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-04-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
I'm trying to find a cheap and easy way to light up the walkways of my 2001 Air Nautique. I just saw recently on the 2001 Super Air install that someone used the LED strips from V-LEDS.com and those seemed like the way to go.

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/fp/scat/244685/SFV/32481/set_num/1/menu_num/3

I also found some Cold Cathode tubes from Oznium.com and they claim they are unbreakable if mounted correctly. The kicker is they are only $9.99 for two 12 inch tubes and transformer...pretty good deal.

http://www.oznium.com/cathode-kit

Which do you think is a better option for the marine environment? And which will have the best "Blue" color?

Any another suggestions for a place to buy from?
Old     (210san)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-04-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
those tubes look really cool but they just sound too cheap...usually get what you pay for!
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-04-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
I use Cold Cathodes in computers that I build because they're pretty bright and produce very little heat but as for using them in a boat imo I would just stick with LEDs. I think all the vibration from the boat would kill em pretty quick
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-04-2009, 5:38 PM Reply   
Cold cathodes are Super cheep and Very bright. You need like 3 times the LEDs to produce the same amount of light. The cold cathodes can break I have broke a few but they are cheep to replace. The down side to the cold cathodes they draw a lot of power.
I did a test and 1 or 2 cold cathodes drew as much current as ALL the LEDs in my boat.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-04-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
I had 4 blue cold cathode tubes under the gunwales (sp?) in my nautique and they were freaking bright. The light is emitted evenly too which is nice. Drop one and its done. I had a hard time mounting them, i tried velcro strips but in the heat of the summer they would fall down and break. Just find a way to mount them correctly and you shouldnt have any problems. Ive hit double up and white caps all day and never had one break due to vibration.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-04-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
WOW!! That's crazy. G's boat has to look like Vegas at night with all the led's he has shown.. Can we get a final pic G with all of the led's lit at once trailer included?
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-05-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
I ended up throwing an order in for a bunch of 12" and 6" strip LEDs from V-leds.com, they seem like a better option...flexible and i'm a fan of minimal power draw and no transformer. They were a little bit more expensive though, obviously.

I might try the cathodes sometimes if I put another order in but I'm going with LEDs for now.

yeah, "G" when you get a chance, throw up some of the latest LED pictures of the whole boat and trailer
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-05-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
ooo yea I forgot about the transformer. Keep the transformer away from your head unit or eq. It will transmit noise