Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    swass            08-11-2004, 9:07 AM Reply   
Even though it throws out a nice wake at about 11 mph, NO NOT allow goofy-foot wakesurfing behind your boat. We sacked down the right side for us goofy-footers; as Andy was riding, I noticed that my gas tank vent was completely under water. "Hmmmm...that can't be good," I thought. Sure enough - it wasn't. I soon had water in my tank - lots of it. It's a wonder the thing made it back to the dock.

What a major design oversight.
Old    bigj            08-11-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
A major design oversight?

Well, Maybe since the Response LX was designed to be a 3 event tournament boat and not a wakesurfing boat with the back 1/3 of the boat submerged under the water, It's more of misapplication on your part. I'm sure the Response does just fine at what it was designed for.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-11-2004, 5:20 PM Reply   
the SAN is the same way. Bad attention to detail on owners part. We put a piece of duct tape over it. and poke 3 little pin holes so it releases the pressure like it should, but doesnt allow water in.
Old    gr8waker            08-11-2004, 5:52 PM Reply   
what year san do you have
Old    swass            08-12-2004, 5:33 AM Reply   
If the back 1/3 of my boat was submerged, we would be discussing salvage efforts right now, not water in the gas. Water was barely touching the rub rail; it certainly wasn't reaching the top of the gunnels. Water up to the rub rail is fairly common even when there is no "misapplication." I still maintain that the vent location needs rethinking.

Thanks for your constructive input, Bill. I offered up my experience as more of a public service announcement so others who have the same boat don't make the same mistake. I didn't expect criticism for doing so, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given the direction WW has taken lately.

Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-12-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
Swass, that is a strange location for a vent hole no matter what the boat is supposed to be used for . during a powerturn to the right, that vent could easily be submerged too. Or if rollers were slapping up against the boat.
Old    bigj            08-12-2004, 11:08 AM Reply   
Swass,
When you take a three event boat (with minimal freeboard) and sack it down for wakesurfing on the side of the gas tank vent, Then call it a major design oversight, you should expect some critisism.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-12-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
Ben....has you had problems with this? I did my first surfing 2 weeks ago and am HOOKED... I didn't even think of dealing with a problem of this nature and have no idea how close we came to our vent, but it is above the rubrail and would be surprised if we ever got that deep in the water. That said, better safe than sorry.... What type of weight are you talking about?

Swass...did you just get the gas/water out, empty the filter and everything worked out fine(relativly speaking, besides the pain of doing it all)????

E.J.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-12-2004, 12:09 PM Reply   
Bill, the vent hole is going to get submerged during 3 event activities too, no weight added. The vent is on the side of the boat i the rear which just happens to be the part of the boat that rides lowest in the water during acceleration and turns to the right. Also rollers comming toward the boat lap up against the vent. . Most "3 event" boats I have seen have the vent hole in the bow area of the boat pretty much directly under next to the driver or observer seating area. You know, that part of the boat that rides the highest out of the water. It is a design oversight and we will be re-routing his soon because his boat had a killer wave. Swass, I will bring the drill, yoiu get the tubing.
Old    bigj            08-12-2004, 12:17 PM Reply   
Yeah, you two engineers take care of the oversight. Do you have another friend who can do glass and gel repair?
Old    swass            08-12-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
Again, thanks for your input, Bill. I'm not sure why you chose to dig your heels in over this, but I'd say we're done here.

I had it done for me, E.J. It was a major pain in the butt: Remove/empty the gas tank; blow out the fuel lines/rails; replace fuel filter; put everything back together; fill w/ 5 gallons of gas and HEAT; run 'till dry; repeat.

There was over a quart of water in my tank. It should be good to go now.

I wonder if we can use some sort of suction cup over the vent while someone is surfing, then "burp" the tank between riders? It does throw a nice wakesurf wake; I'd hate to see it go to waste.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-12-2004, 12:36 PM Reply   
Bill, it was a joke about redoing the vent.
Swass, I will do some research and see what we can come up with. I am sure there is a way to do it. Cork it? The only way to try the burp method would be to try it. Sure would be easier to pull a cork out then it was to drain the water out of the tank.
Old    swass            08-12-2004, 12:40 PM Reply   
Let's give it a shot! If we keep our sessions short (hell, I fall after 30 seconds anyway) we should be able to burp it often enough to prevent a vacuum in the tank.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-12-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
Okay...now I am a bit tripped out. Last thing I want to do is be paying someone $95 an hour to remove my gas tank and blow out lines ect.

Aki surfs behind his SAN correct? No problems with this???? To tell you the truth, maybe I don't even know where my vent is... I have assumed it was the vent next to where I fill(both sides) that I can listen to...waiting to cover the side of my boat with gas....

Anyway....now before I spend a weekend surfing and pouring water in my tank.... Little help here....

E.J.

(Message edited by Deuce on August 12, 2004)
Old    swass            08-12-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   
Aki has a LOT more freeboard than I have. That alone might make the difference.
Old     (chane)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-12-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
Mine is on the other side and pretty close to that water when weighted for surfing. Haven't worried about it until this post.. No probs yet. I thought there was a check valve in there?

Does the duck tape trick work? I really don't want to re-locate my vent. Maybe we'll try goofy this weekend.
Old    swass            08-12-2004, 2:22 PM Reply   
That's what I thought, too, but it has to let air out (as you fill) and let air in (as you burn). There is some sort of...something...but I'll be damned if I know what it does.
Old    akman            08-12-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
We surf behind my SAN no problem at all, 500lb sack in the locker filled as much as possible, empty front and opposite side ballast, pile 2 people on the sundeck, 2 more along the drivers side and you are good to go.

The gas vent is 3 feet behind the rear tower mount, 2 inches from the top of the gunnel and at least 5 to 6 feet from the rear of the boat or any point that would be close to the water when we wakesurf.

No water coming in the vent whatsoever.

Swass, Bill is just trying to PUSH your buttons, just let it go bro, just let it go........some statements are worth arguing with and some aren't.

I doubt any boat out there was designed for wakesurfing in specific but we all make it work.
Old    swass            08-13-2004, 6:23 AM Reply   
Chalk up another "plus" for CC.

The distance between the vent and the gas tank (about 6") causes another problem that crops up almost every time I tow: If I tow with more than 1/2 tank of gas, fuel splashes out the vent when turning left. I've already had to replace the "Response LX" decal on that side because the gas was taking the sticker off. That's a design flaw - regardless of how or what the boat is used for.

Moving the vent away from the tank would solve both problems.

Old    akman            08-13-2004, 7:16 AM Reply   
I have never had gas spill out when I had a full tank turning or stopping hard.

There are 2 vents one on each side so it doesn't matter what side of the pump I pull into to.

The fill angle is so steep, the gas goes in and straight down and then back along the gunnel until it goes into the tank.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-13-2004, 7:20 AM Reply   
Okay.....feel better....

E.J.