Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
I know people have 1000+ lbs in ballasts, lead, or fat sacs. Do you think that 400 - 500lbs extra in the back of the boat would make a noticeable difference in the wake? I'm probably only able to put about that much in the back and I don't know if it's worth the trouble, what do you think?
Old     (josh_r_skater)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-03-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
yeah forsure
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-03-2007, 3:24 PM Reply   
Back in the day my boys and I would load a fat sack to the max in the MC Pro Star 190...Side sacks are the way to go, with reasonable ballast in the rear!
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-03-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
very much worth the trouble. You'll notice.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-03-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
Usually with an I/O you can trim up and create more downforce, do you have enough hp or have you changed the prop to get lowend torque? Most 18 foot I/O's have 140 or 180 hp. There is a limit to how much weight you can add. I'm not trying to be negative, I just need more info to give advise.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-03-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
Where you puttin' those lbs? In what rig? To much sac in the rear, without dealing with the bow, isn't usually good for a clean launch.
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
It only has 190hp and is I/O. I know I can't add much weight. I know I can't expect much, but if I could get a little more wake out of it, I would be happy. I do have the driver trim up which helps and have changed the prop for a little lowend torque. Before I added a little weight to it I thought I would ask if 400 or 500l extra lbs would make a difference.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-03-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
Tommy, I noticed you had a Maxum 1800SR, the same boat I used to have. When I weighted mine, I used a Launch Pad Single(480# I think) across the rear, in front of the motor cover, and the 540# Launch Pad chair up in the floor of the bow. After adding the weight, the wake looked pretty good for this boat, but getting up on plane was really difficult, so I got a Mercury High Five prop, and problem solved. Hope this helps.
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
do you think it would be better to get two launch pad 150 that can fit on each side of the motor cover or get the launch 440 that sits infront of the motor cover(in the middle instead of on the sides of the motor cover). Does it make a difference where the weight is located in the boat?
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-03-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
The way I had my Launch Pads set up in my Maxum was the way I found best after a lot of experimenting, using just one and then both of the sacs. Keep in mind though, when I had the 440 across the rear, I had to find a way to strap the sac in place, or else when I came off plane, the whole bag would want to roll forward, and I didn't like 440# just rolling around on the floor, you know. You could use two 150's, but then you couldn't use the two rear seats, if I remember right, and it's also less weight, and thats no good!
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
I think I will just go with the 440 and put it infront of the motor cover how you stated. Do you think I will need weight up in the front of the boat, if so, how much? The only think I am getting worried about is sill having enough power to get me out of the water. One day I will buy a mastercraft or something different, but for now I want to make the best out of what I have. Thanks for all your advice.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-03-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
from what i have found from owning stern drives is that they like weight up front. it cleans up the wake a lot. when i had one i would do 400 up front and about 250 in the rear. then a couple of ppl in the boat.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-04-2007, 7:26 AM Reply   
WWW.FATSAC.COM
Get these ones they last forever because they are way thicker and more durable than any other sacs. thin sacs suck cause they pop if your not carful.