Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-02-2012, 8:57 AM Reply   
i recently started using the hyperlite systems at the park and sometimes get blisters/rubbed raw on my feet from walking in the boots all day. I was wondering if any of you wear socks to prevent this and if so is there a specific kind you like?

i want to find some under armour type socks but im not sure if that is the best option

thanks!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-02-2012, 3:53 PM Reply   
I am sorry but my response to socks and wakeboard boots is always the same, BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-02-2012, 4:03 PM Reply   
Dallas Friday looks good in her low-cut socks she wears
Old     (xclay89x)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-02-2012, 4:36 PM Reply   
Way to provide an answer to help stop blistering Andy Nintzel......

Ryan I have heard if you are going to get a pair of socks to prevent blisters get a pair that are seamless.

Can't wait to shred with you again bromannasaurus!
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-02-2012, 4:46 PM Reply   
Andy i agree if your are taking boat sets its pretty silly. But when your walking around in the boots all day long at a cable park your wet feet tend to rub against the ultralon lining and cause blisters which tend to lessen the amount of walking and wakeboarding you will enjoy in the days to come
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-02-2012, 5:57 PM Reply   
Buddy of mine wears a pair called Seal Skins I think, but they are about knee high. Sounds like your boots arent tied tight enough though, my feet dont move at all in my boots except for my toesies. And I'm Andy on this one.
Old    9Drozd            05-02-2012, 6:07 PM Reply   
I bought a pair of 2mil neoprene socks from a local scuba shop for when its really cold, but aside from that I dont wear socks for wakeboarding.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       05-02-2012, 7:09 PM Reply   
I have to wear socks to keep from having blisters. One boat set and my front foot heel will have a blister about the size of a nickel. I just wear some regular old tube socks. I have to put up with some BS from others in the boat, but it's better than blisters and not riding in comfort.

On another note I think my feet are overall more comfortable while riding with socks. All the little pressure points/gaps are taken away. For reference I'm riding an older pair of Byerly's with the Boa lacing system.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-02-2012, 7:23 PM Reply   
My friend Jason Bannatyne is the only pro rider I know of who does this. He always wears thick socks. I think they're wool. They make his boots fit better.

Some of the girls at McCormick's like to wear socks during the cold winter months to keep their feet warm.
Old     (jsw)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-02-2012, 7:26 PM Reply   
Yea, I don't think it really matters what kind of socks you were. I definitely wear socks when I ride, under armour, tube socks, ankle socks, whatever i remember to bring. I never get blisters when I ride. I jus enjoy how comfortable it feels wearing them while I ride. And yes, Dallas doesn't look bad in her Fox ankle socks.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-02-2012, 7:26 PM Reply   
Dallas doesn't look bad in anything.
Old     (JohnP)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-02-2012, 8:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Dallas doesn't look bad in anything.
I think it's Dallas makes everything look great!
Old     (jake23l)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-02-2012, 9:12 PM Reply   
Dont ever wear socks on the water bro. Ever. I have the most gnarley feet ever and I've still never brought socks to the lake.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-02-2012, 10:25 PM Reply   
@ Ben w. and Jake, what bindings do you ride currently? and how much cable do you ride?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-03-2012, 12:01 AM Reply   
neo sport neoprene socks 5 mm. i wear these thick neo socks to add coosh to my boots, especially for the toes. i buy my boots a little large and then fill the space with the neo socks. my buddy and i are just about the only weird people that do this. but we love it.!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-03-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Sounds pretty comfortable actually. My bindings don't have much in the way of sole padding.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-03-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
I wear neoprene socks maybe a couple times a year when its super cold out, or if I'm working on a trick where an edge catch is probable. If your one issue with closed toe boots is that you dont eject, try some super thin neoprene water proof socks (the ones made for diving?). I guarantee it'll change your outlook on socks + boots. For the most part, I dont wear them.

Last edited by stoked_32; 05-03-2012 at 9:43 AM.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-03-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
I wonder if the guys baggin' on wearing socks are the cool guys that ride in t-shirts. :-)
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-03-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
I wonder if the guys baggin' on wearing socks are the cool guys that ride in t-shirts. :-)
I hear the parachuting effect from the XXXL Obrien t-shirt gives you huge pop and pillow soft landings.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-03-2012, 12:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog_ra View Post
Andy i agree if your are taking boat sets its pretty silly. But when your walking around in the boots all day long at a cable park your wet feet tend to rub against the ultralon lining and cause blisters which tend to lessen the amount of walking and wakeboarding you will enjoy in the days to come
sorry for being a dick about the socks, if you have to use them to wakeboard longer have at it, i would do whatever i have to to wakeboard longer. it always just makes me think of old school teva's and balck socks on an old dude!
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-03-2012, 4:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
I only wear cool looking T shirts in front of the other cool kids at the cable park.
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-11-2012, 9:25 PM Reply   
I'm all about the socks! Starting wearing them last year. I know, it sounds gay, but it's way more comfortable. And if you feel good, you ride good.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-12-2012, 10:29 PM Reply   
Jeff, what kind do you normally wear?
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-22-2012, 1:47 AM Reply   
@devildog: I have some black Nike athletic socks that I wear most of the time but I also have a few pairs that I bought on buywake.com
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-22-2012, 9:39 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff!
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-23-2012, 1:33 AM Reply   
had a phase wearing socks at cable, definitely more comfy and makes your boots fit better. Looks stupid and one more thing to remember to bring so eventually couldn't be bothered.
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-23-2012, 7:56 PM Reply   
@cheesydog: agreed it can look stupid. That's why I wear socks that just reach the top of my boots and match in color. You can't even tell I'm wearing. It is one more thing to remember though.
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-03-2012, 2:01 PM Reply   
Murr-dog rocking the socks!
Attached Images

Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-04-2012, 10:48 AM Reply   
Socks.... No. Shirts... Hell no!!!! I can at least see where socks help. But shirts?!? Give me a break. I see guys at the cable allllllll day in shirts and just let them feel as cool as they want.... Now if you have skin disorders or cancer prone or very sensitive to sunlight. I get it. But make it a long sleeve rash gaurd, under the vest. At least that would make sense.
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-21-2012, 7:22 AM Reply   
Agree on the shirts...gay!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-21-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
In Murray's defense, The Hyperlite bindings from that era were so ill-fitting and uncomfortable you had to wear them.

I understand the cold point, but really there are a lot of bindings out there that are well made enough to not require socks. My Ronix cell fit so snug and comfy that I think socks would ruin the feel.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-21-2012, 1:41 PM Reply   
many of the guys you see wearing shirts at the cable park (like Russell Ramey) are doing so to hide the fact that they are not wearing cga vests.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-21-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
oh and BTW i have been wearing dress socks with my systems since i go to the park straight from work, they work really well. I recently started riding my 2012 ronix cell's on my cable board now since i brock a strap on the systems.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-21-2012, 1:45 PM Reply   
^^^without socks