Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-27-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
I am looking into a new monitor for my macbook and was thinking either the HP w2207 or the Samsung 23' Widescreen Monitor. I know that the HP is compatible with Mac but I am not sure if the Samsung is so that is a big concern. Also, will I have better quality if i use a mini dvi to hdmi, or will I be fine with the mini dvi to vga. Thanks!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-27-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
forgive my ignorance, but why would a brand of monitor be incompatible w/ a macbook?
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-27-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
I'm not sure its just I know the brand HansG says only compatible with windows, so I wanted to be sure.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-28-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
Your best connection is to stick to DVI, with a mini DVI adaptor if that's what the macbook uses for it's video out. If you're going 22" make sure it's a full HD rez (1920X1080) monitor.

HDMI is a video connection and that's not what you want for a computer based display.

Any DVI monitor is MAC compatible what may not work is the software that controls the monitor. Get yourself a monitor calibrator like an eye one or a spyder and your good to go for photo editing.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-29-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
I have a pair of samsung syncmaster 245bw's witting on my desk. they have AMAZING picture. i have a dell so i dont know if they work for mac. but they are huge and look awesome
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-29-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
you will lose quality if you go with VGA.

no real difference between HDMI and DVI though.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-30-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
I'd look for a used 23" Apple cinema display if you really want the absolute best picture. The Mac video timing is just a hair different then most PCs and while all monitors adjust I personally think after trying a few other brands that the picture looks a tad better with the ACD. I know it doesn't have the fancy specs of the newer monitor with regards to contrast ratio/response time but the colors are very accurate plus you've got the extra USB & FW ports built into it.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-30-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
Yeah, but $900 for that Apple monitor is a tough pill to swallow. There are a few brands out there that will give you a picture that's 'just about as good' as the ACD for half the price, and if you're not gonna be calibrating your monitor then you probably don't care about the picture all that much, anyways.

edit: just saw that you said "a USED Apple monitor." So those might not be as expensive, but still...

(Message edited by scott_a on November 30, 2008)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-30-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
When I bought my 23" ACD the other 23's on the market weren't all that much cheaper, it's just been over the last year and a half or so that there are now a bunch of decent monitors for way less. So I wouldn't argue with that Scott based on current prices.