Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (tazbike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-30-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
I'm looking for a new board, live in ID and there is no place to demo. I've never ridden the Transcend but rode an 05 Absolute and liked it. I'm an intermediate rider and need more pop, everyone points me to these two boards. I currently ride an 05 Murray 138. Also any advice on size if you vote for the absolute? I weigh 165 so I think I'm in between. Thanks.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-30-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
I will comment on this, because my last board was the murray. The absolute has an ridiculous amount of pop, and softer landings than my Murray (i know, ridiculous, but true). I think the weight loss helps out a lot too. I would say that it is also a little bit faster, with the vented rail design, but only when you are starting the edge, not noticable when you are already crusin in. Overall, I think that I made the right choice on that board. However, it doesn't butter like the murray does (one thing I miss), yet is still very forgiving with edge digs, so that is the compromise.

From what I have heard (evan? where are you?) the transcend is a tad slower, but has a more even pop, softer landings, and is all around a little more refined of a board.

If you go absolute, go the size below 141 (probably 138 or something?). That would be perfect. [EDIT]Well, looks as if the next smallest board is a 135...I would say, go with what you think you want more. Bigger board=more pop and softer landings, smaller board=fast spins and quicker control. Your choice, you could probably do either, the board is CRAZY wide, which means the 135 is equivilent to a 137-138 I would say.

As far as size goes, I would say go

(Message edited by garret_s on October 30, 2006)
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-30-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
I have ridden both the 141 05 Absolute Plat, the 141 06 Absolute non-Plat, and the new 07 Transcend 138. The Transcend seemed faster because of less rocker, but the Absolute Plat had more pop and was faster than the 06 non-plat Absolute. All boards are great boards, but your riding style and/or preference will determine which board you prefer. If I were you, I would get an 05, 06, or 07 Absolute Plat. The bottom shape of all three years are the same, but the tops are a little different, but I could not tell a difference in the riding. You already like the way the Absolute rides, so why take a chance on a Transcend that you have not ridden or cant demo. The 05, 06, & 07 Absolute Plat is a little slower than the Transcend, but has a ton of pop to make up for it and its faster than the non-Plat. BTW, I ride a 05 Absolute Plat and I'm 5'7" and 165 lbs and by being at the top of the weight limit of the smaller Absolute, you might make the bigger one last longer.

(Message edited by byrd on October 30, 2006)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-30-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
I rode the Absolute shape for a few years and loved it. It was a board that, IMO, did everything pretty well. My biggest complaint (again IMO) was that it didn't track that well when edging up the wake.

I've never been a Transcend fan in the past. There really wasn't anything I liked about the old board. The '07 is a completely different ride. So far there isn't anything I don't like about it. It tracks amazingly (even with the fin extensions off), it lands butter smooth and has a ton of pop. I definitely wont be switching back to the Absolute anytime soon. Try the Transcend and I'm pretty sure you'll like it. If it's any indication of the guys I ride with regularly we had one on a plati Absolute, one on a Pure, one on a Flame and one on a Marius last year. This year we're all riding the Transcend except Billy on the Marius (who hasn't tried the Transcend yet). We all fell in love with the Transcend from the first ride.

As far as the size matrix, it's kinda strange.... I would definitely recomend the 141 Absolute (the next size down is a micro 135). If you choose the Transcend you could ride either the 138 or 142. I usually ride the bigger boards, but I went with the 138 this year and love it. I'm 6', 160lbs. Interestingly the 138 Transcend and my 140 Pure from last year are exactly the same length.
Old     (tazbike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-01-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input!

Still on the fence, It seems like if you like the absolute you'll also like the 07 Transcend. So it is probably a sutle difference, but that is what I'm looking for, some sutle differences to improve my riding.

Thanks again, any other input would be appreciated? Does anyone know of a cable or place these could be demoed? May have to take vacation somewhere where I can demo!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-01-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
Come on down to Florida. If you can get to Winter Haven, I have a 05 Absolute Plat and my buddy Duffy has a 07 Transcend 138. OWC might have them available for rent as well...
Old     (tazbike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-03-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
Thanks Byrd for the offer.

I'll keep that in mind, since it is suppose to snow this weekend, Florida would be a great place to entice my wife.