Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    rconner            05-02-2006, 9:24 PM Reply   
I am outfiting my 98 malibu sunsetter VLX with additional automatic ballast. I am running a soft bag in my ski locker currently. It works great. Here my plan! Anyone have comments? Water will come in from predrilled hole in hull, to main pump (it's big). Then to a manifold with three sprinkler valves. One for front bags, one for center (ski locker) and one for rear bags. I have the center bag currently running and am adding the front and rear.

The pump is reversable and water will exit thru the bilge hole. This will also be controled thru another sprinler valve.

All valves and pump will controlled by three (three-way) switches mounted in drivers area.

One concern is if the rear bags will fill evenly. I really don't want to use more pumps.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-02-2006, 9:37 PM Reply   
I think your idea is great. Be careful how you plumb the system. The intake through the hull should go directly into a metal gate valve. That way, should the manifold ever break, hopefully you can get to the valve and shut it off before your boat goes under. With a 1 inch hole in the hull you'll a foot or two of water in your boat inside of a minute.

Sprinkler valves don't work if there is more pressure on the 'downstream' side of them that the upstream side. I don't fully understand how you're reversing your system.

consider using Johnson or Atwood or ...can't think of the third one.. 1000 gph pumps. Malibu uses the third one I can't think of, it's either a 750 or 1000 gph pump, I found it online for $32. I'll see if I can dig up that link and post it. At $32, they maybe cheaper and than a big pump and solenoid valves. Plus, they can run dry as they have no impeller to burn up.

Good luck, keep us posted with pics!
Old     (jleger98)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-02-2006, 9:55 PM Reply   
How are you going to tell when the bags are full? what will you do if one bag fills before the others? you should consider some "vent" valves that will take the overflow when the bag gets full. Thats how mine is set up. all I gotta do is turn the pump on, and wait till water starts coming out the side of the boat. Done. I think Craig may have been talking bout Rule pumps. Attwood makes a 1200 gph pump. Its not reversible, but it is only 34.00.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=52431&hvarTarget=search& cmCat=SearchResults

Also, I would suggest a Drainmaster Gate valve. Its actually from an RV sewer system, but they sell one with a remote switch and an LED. If you look around, you can find one for < $100.

Post some pics when you get it installed.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-02-2006, 10:21 PM Reply   
Malibu uses the Shurflo pumps. (or at least in 04 they did)
Old    rconner            05-04-2006, 5:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. The overflow valves are a great idea. I currently have to watch the bags fill.
I will post some pics of the setup. And how it being installed.
Craig, I dont understand why the sprikler valves wouldn't work. As for the reversing, it will work through a series of valves. It's hard to explain. I will post a picture of the system.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-04-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
You know, I just did some quick research on Google, and now I'm not so confident in my statement. I had always thought that a pressure on the down stream side that was greater than the pressure on the up stream side would cause the valve to open. Some of the diagrams I'm seeing show this as the case, while some different models/diagrams show that not to be the case. I retract my statement.