Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (absoluteplat135)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
i just started the summer before last... at the beginning of last summer I could hardly clear the wake... ive made quite a bit of progress since then and i think im gonna try my luck at INT in northwood, NH on august 19th and 20th.. is anyone else gonna be there?

this is one of my latest passes this season...
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=98612 1556&n=2
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-30-2006, 8:51 PM Reply   
bro, you're a heelside hero. You have an impressive bag of tricks hs, work on ts, then you can trick both ways and fit more tricks in one pass. Definitely go compete though.
Old     (absoluteplat135)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2006, 8:56 PM Reply   
yup i definitely know what ur saying. that video was from yesterday... i went back out today and stood taller off my edge before hitting the wake on my frontroll and the first time i did it kicked me way higher than i expected and i caught my front edge and got thrashed... but at least i figured out my height issue. im thinking the frontrolls and scarecrows will come easily now, i just haveto clean them up. i've never even tried to straight-air toeside... ive done ts 180's though but not in a while..
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-31-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about going to that stop in Northwood, it's the next town over. I went last year, but just because I was around that weekend (usually go away to ride). It was a good experience and I think youd be surprised with the skill there. I can't see that video, but saw next to it tantrum, 360, backroll, frontroll... I would deffinitley go out there and try your luck. I was riding at about that level last season when I competed there. I got second in advanced with a fall. I wasn't really impressed with the atmosphere last year, some really nice people, and some people came off real snobby, but maybe I just read them wrong. I may go this year, depending on if I'm around. I've only heard of one other person on wakeworld that does New England INT (Don or Dan maybe?). If you do decide to come down, leave me an email (atconroy26@hotmail.com">patconroy26@hotmail.com) when it gets closer to that time, maybe the week before the event and I'll let you know if I'll be around. I may be able to set you up with a pull if you were interested.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-31-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
I'm not gonna watch the video after you said "i've never even tried to straight-air toeside" - DIS QUALIFIED!!!

You gotta hit Toeside if for no other reason you will get half as many tricks as someone who can go back and forth. Stop working on Ts inverts and start working on toeside grabs. Doesn't that get annoying having to cross the wke each time? Honestly a boned out TS Indy grab will feel much cooler than any of the tricks you are doing, look into it. Although that stuff should work well at INT, they are all about repeating tricks and don't reward style.
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-31-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
Big Heavy,
INT is not about repeating tricks. They discourage it. INT is about competing within your ability. On any given pass you can not repeat or you are given -0- credit. They only time you may repeat is on your 2nd pass in the lower divisions. Expert, Outlaw and Pro are not allowed to repeat at all. I don't know where you get your info, but INT rewards style as well.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-31-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
Great, so the waterskiers can judge my wakeboard style. I'm sure they'd be able to grasp exactly what is going on.
Old     (diddy666)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-31-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
Jason where in Maine are you from. Pat I will be in Northwood. I believe I am all set with a pull.
Old     (absoluteplat135)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
i live in belgrade, ride on great pond...

in response to big heavy... just because ive never straight-air toeside, doesnt mean i cant do ts tricks... ive landed several frontrolls and landed my first scarecrow earlier tonight...
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-31-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   

quote:

just because ive never straight-air toeside, doesnt mean i cant do ts tricks... ive landed several frontrolls and landed my first scarecrow earlier tonight...

woopty freakin' doo dude. let me drop a little knowledge on ya: Heavy and I really don't care what tricks you CAN do, but HOW you do them. If you can't do a ts indy, then it's a long shot for you to do a crow and make it look good.

Do I still think you should compete? Absolutely!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-31-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
Jason,the pond that you speak of,is it the cable park or do you guys actually ride behind a boat??

I was in Belgrade last summer and checked out the cable park for a few days.

Do you speak Serbian??

Sorry for the 20 questions dude....
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-31-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
Didn't notice you couldn't straight air toeside... you'll need to pull together 6 ts tricks to even put together a run for INT, if not for the sake of your riding. I'm not giving you a hard time, and I really dont think anyone else is either, most people on here are very direct, and I say more power to em. But seriously, learning to air toeside is way easier than you might think, and it'll make more things possible down the road. You're deffinitley killing it tho for just learning, especially with our short seasons. You should still come out and compete for the experience, it doesnt matter how well you do.

Big Ed, he means Belgrade Maine, USA I think... No cable parks I know of

Good to know Don, If I'm there I may introduce myself if I find you
Old     (absoluteplat135)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
Big ed - as far as i know theres not a cable park in belgrade... or even in maine?
i ride behind a 1988 stingray I/O with a homemade tower and a waterjug in the front to add weight.

thane/heavy - chill out man im not saying im the greatest. honest to god one week ago all i could do was a tantrum and a 360... and basic w2w's... so in one week i learned 3 flips... theyre gonna need some fine tuning. i realize that i'd do better in comp if i had more ts tricks. im doin the best i can. up until recently competition hadnt even crossed my mind. all i cared about was showing off to the people sitting on shore. Im the only one on my lake who I've seen do anything more than an 1-wake indy. so im working on the whole ts thing.. i have 3 weeks before comp... ill get it done
Old     (absoluteplat135)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2006, 9:05 PM Reply   
im sure i could do a ts air no problem, i just havent really tried for some reason. tomorrow ill give it a go
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-31-2006, 9:05 PM Reply   
Silly me......I seen Belgrade and forgot there is one in the USA as well.

Nevermind,carry on!

Oh as for your toeside........
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-31-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
Keep up the good work!

Kinda going on a little tangent here, and dont think im singleing you out at all, bc im not. It seems that everyone now a days is more concerned with getting as many inverts as possible, but do not seem to have key basics that will help them progress for future tricks. Go ahead and take a step back from the flips and work on the grabs, basic spins, and airs. If you are able to, everone on here will be behind me when I recommend you purchase The Book if you already do not have it. It goes over the learing method of the tree of progression, which will take key elements and build upon them as building blocks that lead to bigger and better tricks. If you get the key basics, your inverts will come much cleaner and quicker.

When you are planning out a run, definately link your tricks together from ts to hs whether it be a w2w ts or a scarecrow. The judges want to see diversity in tricks.
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-01-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
todd i want this book u speak of where can i get it?? can i get it off the internet. i live in a small town so i dont have many bookstores or anything that carries any thing that has to do with wakeboarding
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-01-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
Jason,

Congrats on learning your new tricks! If you can't already....I would also recommend learning half cab HS 180's as well if you are competing. They are very easy to learn and do and they will give you good points. Oh and throw a grab in there it is simple. You’ll get it done...biggest thing is don’t even worry about trying to place or anything. INT is all about having a good time and ridin. I had my first comp this summer it is a cool experience riding in front of a lot of people. Good Luck!

Jake
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-01-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
I think the main issue here is that everyone is looking out for your best interests Jason. I am sure you have heard of people learning 3-4 new tricks in a day! The reason this type of progression occurs is based upon a solid foundation of basic skills. I know you are probably a big fish in a small pond (no pun intended, lol) but getting the basics down will help you greatly in all aspects of progression on a wakeboard. Most people here are blunt, regardless of what skill you are at. Unless you are pro, posting a video of yourself will result in some sort of critique; "grab that", "what no switch tricks", "more spins" or "more toeside tricks" seem to be the norm responses.

(Message edited by liquidmx on August 01, 2006)
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-01-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
The book is a wakeboarding instructional dvd set. The best instructional by far that has been put out on the market yet. You can get it off of the internet at most wakeboarding specialty websites. Check out WW's sponsors such as buywake or wakeside.
Old     (absoluteplat135)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-01-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
yea i think i skipped some of the basics (like ts everything) because im big into snowboarding, and i actually started wakeboarded just to have something to do in the summer. up until recently it wasnt a big deal wether i was good or not. all i really cared about was riding around and throwing a tantrum in front of a party boat packed with people just to show off. and its really easy to show off when your the only rider on the lake who can do anything. i did care about progression, i just didnt care about the basics. and then this season i've gotten really into wakeboarding and I know i gotta do more toeside if im gonna get any better. i have really good board control and everything, i just have no ts talent. today i went out and straight-aired ts a few times. i cleared the wake every time, it just wasnt very pretty. im sure it will come easily though
Old     (absoluteplat135)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-01-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
this is the 2nd scarecrow ive landed... it was today

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=99364 9817&n=2
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-01-2006, 9:43 PM Reply   
are you baseball grippin' that thing?

the crow didn't look half bad.
Old     (absoluteplat135)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-01-2006, 9:49 PM Reply   
yea i do baseball grip it.... haha its a habit cuz i used to slalom every now and then before i wakeboarded
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-02-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
def change the grip
Old     (absoluteplat135)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-02-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
yea i went out again today and rode with normal grip... it feels really weird and whenever i go to put my hand back on the rope i put it wrong... but i change it back once i realize it haha