Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (beisbol20)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-28-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
anyone ever have or know someone whose had cartilage replacement surgery? happy it's finally getting done, but getting a little scared because i go under the knife in about a week.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-29-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
That is the surgery my doc says I need! Are you getting a cartilage plug, the the graph or both? How many months does your doc say before you can ride again? Mine says if I do it will be a minimum of 13 months!!
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-29-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
oh yea... there is a guy named Arun who owns Ohana Board Shop in San Jose who posts here and I think he had this surgery. He is an awesome rider and it sounded to me like he was happy he did it.

-Uj
Old     (beisbol20)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-29-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
he said about 10-12 months maybe sooner. i wanted to have it right after the summer but had delays. I'll have the plugs, i believe. doc said i maybe able to ride mid-summer, but nothing big for longer. the cartilage takes much much longer to adapt then rebuilding a muscle or tendon.
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       10-29-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
Wow, I was told i needed this surgery as well. It freaked me out about the 10-12 months of down time so i nixed it. The doctor put me on a BellaCure knee brace and it definitly helps me a ton, I can turn the dial up as i need more relief. It basically has a BOA system in it. I just couldn't stomach 10-12 months with no snowboarding, wakeboarding or softball. Did he say what caused it in your particular case?

also i would check out www.bellacure.com, it really has made my pain almost managable, at least until i sack up and have the surgury.

(Message edited by flattirenotube on October 29, 2008)
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-29-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
Patrick, those braces from Bella work good for wakn?

-Uj
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       10-29-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
Uj,

I think it works great for wake, I haven't had a problem with it yet. If my knee gets sore while riding I just crank it up a couple of turns. It takes about 12 hours or so to dry out, but it isn't difficult to put on wet or anything. I wear mine pretty much all day everyday as I am on my feet all day. You can take the hardware out of it and wash the sleeve in the washing machine, which I do after every time in the lake. It is comfortable and I definitely don't have any complaints, I can't wait to try it snowboarding.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-29-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
Waiting for this to be approved after FDA trials in the US. They've been using in Europe for a couple of years now.
http://www.regenbio.com/poland/en-int/menaflex.php