Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-04-2010, 4:21 PM Reply   
kinda started this story on the "6.4 Blowing White Smoke" thread, but I wanted advice from guys in the know...

Took my 08 6.4 in for an oil and coolant leak. Dealer found front cover leaking oil, as well as a faulty o-ring on a rad. hose that he is covering under warranty (40, 200 miles). Now the problem: The radiator has a visible weep on the backside. I took this truck in Nov. of 09 at 23K because it was using coolant, and they replaced a seal at that time under warranty. I firmly believe that this radiator leak was there at that time, and they missed it, because the truck has continued to use a bit of coolant, maybe a quart every 6 months or so. I'm having a hard time accepting that I should be on the hook for 900 plus dollars for a radiator. I called Ford Customer Assistance and spoke to a very nice lady, who said she would start a file for the local area rep.

Do I stand a prayer of getting any help from Ford on this one? Any inside tips on how to present this to the Customer Service guys that will help? For what it's worth, I have been a loyal Ford guy for years, three new personal vehicles since 04, as well as all my shop trucks except one have been SuperDuties since 1999.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-04-2010, 5:30 PM Reply   
PM'd ya
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-04-2010, 8:41 PM Reply   
oI would think you would eligible for what we call the CLP, or Customer Loyalty Program. If you had had most all your service done at your dealership, bought this and other vehicles from them you may have a good chance of getting Ford to help ya out. Warranty administration has gotten really tight as of the last few years. That is all part of the $19 billion 3rd quarter profits posted. Plain and simple, Ford's take on that matter is this: Your warranty period on those components was 3 years , 36k miles. Which ever comes first. After that you are then responsible. Givin the fact that you may have documented the concern during the warranty period, you say you are a loyal customer and can prove it with service records, they will most likely give you some help on the issue. I can't say from my expierience lately that they will cover the bill completely, but they may help out with some of the cost. That comes directly from Ford, and not the dealership. The dealership should be willing to help ya too, if indeed you are one of they're loyal customers. Alot of times there are things that can be done to help out the good customers, but it's just a matter of approaching the dealership, not Ford customer service. You may eventually get customer service to shove it down the dealers throat if they don' t want to participate, but it's alot quicker and less painless to try to do your arbitration at the dealership with either the Service Manager or Dealer Principle. Most will be more than willing to pull some strings for you givin the circumstances.

Last edited by bawshogg; 11-04-2010 at 8:44 PM.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-04-2010, 11:10 PM Reply   
My 06 had the EGR cooler leak two weeks ago. Had it diagnosed at a local shop because its 15,000 miles over the premium 100,000 mi warranty. EGR cooler cracked. Called FORD because of this thread, research on the net and one of the trucks at work having the same problem a month ago. Seems like a defective design to me with this many problems but I'm not a lawyer nor expert with this stuff.

Ford Customer Service was very nice. Said that since my truck is under 150,000 miles and less than 6 years old and they have a special program that offers some financial assistance. BUT - I had to go to a Ford dealer for diagnosis.

Did that. Spent $95 at the local shop for diagnosis. Spent $95 at Ford dealer for diagnosis. Spent $250 in a rental car while Ford made ups it mind. The result -Sorry we need to distribute this program equitably. Not you don't qualify because....or any good reason - just we need to spread it around but not to you. The Ford rep at Ford Customer Service never gave any indication that I would be denied.

I was suckered into getting it serviced at Ford, paying for 2 diagnosis' and had the honor of paying for a rental car for a week, when the local shop would have had it fixed in one day.

This is my second Ford but it will be my last. I hate being lied and mislead. If I liked those things I would watch political ads all day. So my new saying for FORD - F'd Over Repair Department

My suggestion - follow up everything in writing - so if they lie to you you have a leg to stand on.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-05-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
I will make no excuses for the the 6.0l. It is not the best thing that ford has ever had. Alot of it has to do with our federal emisissions regulations . Not knowning all the facts, I would have to say that something was out of line with that scenerio. The program is destinctly labelled " Customer Loyalty Program". Can you answer all the following questions with a yes? Did you purchase the vehicle from the servicing dealer? Did you have most all of your service/maintenence within reason done at the servicing dealer? Some of the funding comes from the actual dealer themselves, some comes from Ford Motor Company. I will tell you that the dealer,and your relationship with them has alot to with how your specific situation is handled. The program has been put in place to reward the "loyal" customers and not the ones just looking for a hand out. They also decide how much of a percentage they will cover based on several factors. How many Fords have you and your imediate family purchased? How have you utilized your selling dealer for your maitenence and repair issues? How likely are you to purchase another Ford? All these things are taken into consideration.
As far as what I can see from your post they most likely made the right decision with your situatiuon. Your truck made it trough Ford's obligation. 100,000 miles? Come on?At this point you are now an owner. It's your responsiblity to maintain and up keep YOUR vehicle, not the manufacturer at this point. I am also sure you had an opertunity to purchase a longer warranty. They offer a 200k for the diesels that is available for purchase.
I don't think you find a better warranty out there, all the manufacturers are about same . Good luck with your future vehicle.
Old     (kruiserkat)      Join Date: May 2010       11-05-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
Would like to think that 115,000k in less than 6 years is alot of use. Did you get Ford to cover the cost to put new tires on your truck to Tom? I'm sure you went through a few sets. Like I'm gonna go to Toyota when my truck hits 51k and expect them to fix it. Did you even read your warranty paper that states 100,000 mile warranty? That's like ordering a number 1 at McDonalds and asking them to throw in a extra cheeseburger for the same price. Think it's gonna happen? Maybe with a coupon, Got one?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-05-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
I think the only place where Ford went wrong was even suggesting that they'd help out on a vehicle with that kind of mileage. The 100k warranty is nice and very generous. When you called they should have thanked you for your purchase and informed you that they wouldn't be able to do anything for you.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-05-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
Absolutely agree. I am upset that I was mislead. If they said that I could have made a decision on whether or not to take it to Ford. That's why I'm upset
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-05-2010, 1:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
I think the only place where Ford went wrong was even suggesting that they'd help out on a vehicle with that kind of mileage. The 100k warranty is nice and very generous. When you called they should have thanked you for your purchase and informed you that they wouldn't be able to do anything for you.
The program is in place to help owners who are out of the 100k range as they stated. But it also has certain criteria that has to be met. That is why it is called "Customer Loyalty Program". Maybe the person whom you spoke with should have recognized that the vehicle was at another aftermarket shop and told you not to take the risk, but that is not really they're job. I understand the fustration, but had you had used the dealership that you are "loyal" to, you may have gotten more assistance. The program is not designed to be used in the way you did. It is to be used by the dealer when a vehicle is brought to the service department for repairs ,only to find that the cost is substantial and the customer is upset . It is then used to help the loyal customer with the cost because they somewhat understand it is sometimes a hard pill to swallow.
It was never intended to be used as such: OH crap! My truck is broken........I'll tow it over to Joe's auto repair. Crap... 3k for a blown EGR cooler...... Dang, I'll tow my truck that is out of warranty over to the Ford garage and see if I can get something for free! If you had been loyal to your dealer, I have no doubt there would have been assistance for you. Sure saved you lot's by going to the corner auto repair place. We see it ALOT, and it's not so much cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by bawshogg; 11-05-2010 at 1:18 PM.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       11-05-2010, 9:21 PM Reply   
In warranty managers terms it is called AWA(After Warranty Assistance). As Baws already stated it is reserved for the dealers best customers to use at their discretion. At the dealer level they are limited(and audited) by how many(dollars) of AWA repairs are made. Larger dealers have more to play with than smaller dealers. But that doesnt mean you will get anywhere with a large dealer if you have never had your vehicle serviced there and/or never purchased a vehicle from them.

For the OP, Ford Customer Service at the corporate level will not be involved in handling this issue, other than listening to and noting your complaint. If you had a case for a vehicle buy-back then they would be "knee deep" in it. In this case your not and it will be handled at the dealer level. Sounds like you have purchased a good share of Ford vehicles(hopefully from the same dealer). If so, I see a positive outcome in your future.

Last edited by jimmy_z; 11-05-2010 at 9:30 PM.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       11-06-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
Go to the parts store or radiator shop and get this little tube of aluminum flakes called Stop Leak and pour it in your radiator, probably not best to pour it in your overflow reservoir but right in the radiator. (It will just sit at the bottom of your overflow, it needs to circulate through your coolant system) It goes to the leak and plugs it up magically. I think it is less than ten bucks, it may solve your problem. Also if you can remove your radiator and take it to a shop it may only be $100-200 to get them to fix the leak, pressure test etc. Reinstall and you're back on the road. Either of these options are cheaper than a new radiator for 900. I got no advice on warranty though sorry. I was able tofix a decent leak in an old truck radiator with the stop leak. On another truck I caught a rock in there and it had to be pulled and fixed. If its just a weeper then you may get away with the stop leak. Are you sure its not coming out the weep hole on your water pump? That will happen when they are starting to go bad also.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-06-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
Tell you a funny story, whether its of any relevance to this discussion or not who knows.

My folks bought a new Oldsmobile in 2000, being engineers they noticed right away the odometer was off. The Odometer recorded mileage 5% higher then what they where traveling. GM notified them that while the Odometer wasn't 100% accurate it was within factory tolerances. "I never knew they had tolerances for how far off an odometer can be". Needless to say at 83,000 miles the tranny gave out. The car had an 80,000 mile factory warranty. They notified GM that in reality the car was still under the 80,000 miles of the factory warranty because of the misreading odometer that they had previously brought the car in for. GM said no dice not going to fix it you need to come up with $3800.

Here comes the fun part. My mom told me this story and how pissed she was and I said can I have a little fun with them? She replied have at it! So I called GM up and said i was a producer with Dateline NBC and I was researching a story that GM purposely has there odometers record mileage higher then actual mileage to avoid paying for warranty work. I told them I was contacted by a couple in California, and how this would make the best story since we ran the expose on exploding saddle tanks.

The very next day my Parents got a call from GM saying they where covering the full cost of the repair and where even waiving the deductible that the extended warranty had plus they gave them a rental car for free.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-06-2010, 3:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
Go to the parts store or radiator shop and get this little tube of aluminum flakes called Stop Leak and pour it in your radiator, probably not best to pour it in your overflow reservoir but right in the radiator. (It will just sit at the bottom of your overflow, it needs to circulate through your coolant system) It goes to the leak and plugs it up magically. I think it is less than ten bucks, it may solve your problem. Also if you can remove your radiator and take it to a shop it may only be $100-200 to get them to fix the leak, pressure test etc. Reinstall and you're back on the road. Either of these options are cheaper than a new radiator for 900. I got no advice on warranty though sorry. I was able tofix a decent leak in an old truck radiator with the stop leak. On another truck I caught a rock in there and it had to be pulled and fixed. If its just a weeper then you may get away with the stop leak. Are you sure its not coming out the weep hole on your water pump? That will happen when they are starting to go bad also.
Wouldn't recommend stop leak on these trucks with the complex cooler systems. The coolant in the radiator now has several more functions than just cooling the engine. You won't be very happy if you add it to the system and it potentally cloggs one of the egr coolers. The radiator is not like the old style aluminium or brass radiators. they have plastic end tanks and most radiator shops in our area won't attempt to fix these style radiators anymore. I believe it has to do with the plastic end tanks distorting, or something to that nature.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-06-2010, 3:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006maliblue View Post
Tell you a funny story, whether its of any relevance to this discussion or not who knows.

My folks bought a new Oldsmobile in 2000, being engineers they noticed right away the odometer was off. The Odometer recorded mileage 5% higher then what they where traveling. GM notified them that while the Odometer wasn't 100% accurate it was within factory tolerances. "I never knew they had tolerances for how far off an odometer can be". Needless to say at 83,000 miles the tranny gave out. The car had an 80,000 mile factory warranty. They notified GM that in reality the car was still under the 80,000 miles of the factory warranty because of the misreading odometer that they had previously brought the car in for. GM said no dice not going to fix it you need to come up with $3800.

Here comes the fun part. My mom told me this story and how pissed she was and I said can I have a little fun with them? She replied have at it! So I called GM up and said i was a producer with Dateline NBC and I was researching a story that GM purposely has there odometers record mileage higher then actual mileage to avoid paying for warranty work. I told them I was contacted by a couple in California, and how this would make the best story since we ran the expose on exploding saddle tanks.

The very next day my Parents got a call from GM saying they where covering the full cost of the repair and where even waiving the deductible that the extended warranty had plus they gave them a rental car for free.
Haha, Funny. Nothin like a little BS to get what you want.From what I have seen all the manufactures allow for a 3-5 mph variance in accuracy of the sppedometer. Has to do with varying diameters of tires and such. Sometimes they read slightly faster, sometimes slightly slower. GPS will show this if you take a perfectly stock new vehicle and check the speedometer to it. This is well within government regulations. The only speedometers that have to be certified calibrated are the police vehicles which hold a higher tolerance under 3 mph variance..
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       11-06-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
Baws good to know about not using stopleak, now that I am an owner of an 09 Dodge diesel I guess I can't use the same tact as I did with my 78 Ford back in the day when things went wrong.....
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-08-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
Not much consolation, but if all else fails you can get the radiator cheaper from http://powerstokeshop.com.

2008 6.4 radiator is $718 there. I have been ordering parts from them for my 2002 7.3L for a long time and every part's been legit.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-11-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
Sorry for the delay, i have been having issues getting logged on to WW.

Update: Ford has resolved all the issues. The regional CSR contacted me, but before he did my Service Advisor and the dealership Warranty Administrator had worked their magic and got all issues resolved and covered under warranty. I had to pay a 100 dollar deductable, but given the alternative, I was glad to do so.

I was calm, polite, and never stomped my feet, raised my voice, or made any threats to switch to Dodge. Everyone at the dealer level, as well as at the Ford Customer Service Center, was completely professional and polite. They never made any promises nor instant denials, but worked thru the issue.

So the advice I got from the insiders here was spot on...I feel i was rewarded for my loyalty to both the dealer and the Brand. they have both earned my continuing business.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-11-2010, 4:26 PM Reply   
Thats awesome to hear and pretty much what I expected, well actually F stepped up a little more. I'm glad to hear that you intend to stay in the fold becasue as I said when you step to the 6.7 you will not be dissappointed.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-12-2010, 6:44 AM Reply   
That's great! I'm glad we providied some insight for you.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-12-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
I'm not complaining on how the program works. I totally get it. But it wasn't what I was told. I was not told it was a loyalty pgroam. In fact the copy of the denial email doesn't even mention it as a customer loyalty program.

What I am complaining about is not be told the criteria. Being mislead by Ford. Had I known that it was CLP I could have made an informed decision on whether to take it there or not.

I'm sure there was not bad intent but their actions caused me to spend unneccesary money and time. And I'm sorry, but whether it was intentional or not intentional, thats a Ford problem and they should have done something.

I've owned my own businesses before and if I made a mistake, I would at-least offer a small token to let my customer know that while I didn't agree, at least I valued them. Ford did not do that.

People forget that being right doesn't mean you have to act "right". Sometimes you can be "wrong" to be right and you get farther. I guess its just how much you value retaining customers.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-12-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
Would like some cheese with that? Maybe you should have asked first, As Meathead did. Would have been a whole lot cheaper.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-12-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
Baws - As a Ford employee you ought to think twice when it comes to taunting Ford owners who have been discrimated against on the customer loyalty program. We see law suits about this stuff daily - a lot times it never goes to court but the complaining owner gets what they want from the dealer and loud mouth dealership employee is looking for a new job.

Can't be too careful with what you post up on the internet
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-12-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
I don't work for Ford sh** head. I am not a corporate employee and Ford Motor Company has no juristidiction over my job.I work at a Ford dealership. A franchise. I get to see whinny customers that want something for free day in and day out. As a matter of fact I am in my bosses office laughing about this right now! Moron...hahaha.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-12-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawshogg View Post
I don't work for Ford sh** head. I am not a corporate employee and Ford Motor Company has no juristidiction over my job.I work at a Ford dealership. A franchise. I get to see whinny customers that want something for free day in and day out. As a matter of fact I am in my bosses office laughing about this right now! Moron...hahaha.
Maybe he missed the part where your advice was saught out in the TITLE of this thread?
The ford police are coming for you now Baws runnnn.. LOL....

Last edited by 05mobiuslsv; 11-12-2010 at 2:04 PM.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-12-2010, 6:14 PM Reply   
ford has not discriminated against customers. They have denied claims. and your a tool.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-12-2010, 7:27 PM Reply   
It is always fun to poke at you guys...trust me, I knew the reaction I would get. Just making sure that you guys up in the northeast were keeping your edge.

Wouldn't want you guys to be out of practice when it comes time to debate exile, wet sounds and bullet.

Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-12-2010, 7:30 PM Reply   
"Excuse me officer Smith! No I won't SPREAD 'EM!" LOL!

Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-12-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
Its DANGLE...get it right.

Funny...actually did that for a Halloween costume in 2008
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-13-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy_smith View Post
It is always fun to poke at you guys...trust me, I knew the reaction I would get. Just making sure that you guys up in the northeast were keeping your edge.

Wouldn't want you guys to be out of practice when it comes time to debate exile, wet sounds and bullet.

You could at least place us on the right coastline geez .
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-16-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
Hey guys - I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread with my bitch session. Baws actually made me laugh with the whine and cheese comment. We all get customer's that complain with or without cause.

Can we all sing a campfire song while we wait at the launch ramp and complain about the moron who is loading his gear and blocking the courtesy ramp?