Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-31-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
So a buddy of mine called me up today saying he is in the market for a new boat. He's not into the wake scene and doesn't board, so this isn't another "help me get a steal on a new wake boat" thread. He is looking for something that he can use to get his family out on the water and start enjoying the lake life. I'm not really sure where to start with this one because I could really give a damn less about runabouts, but I'm trying to help a buddy out. He mentioned looking at the Yamaha SX190 and Crownlines for starters.

Here are some things to keep in mind..

-Does not have to be wake specific. Main uses will include cruising, rafting up, and drinking.
-Obviously he wants to try and keep it under 30k for a new boat.
-His garage will allow him to fit a 20 footer, but does have a place to keep a bigger rig if necessary.
-Mostly a maximum of 4-5 people in his crew
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-31-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
Tell him he would be dumb to buy a new boat. You can get great deals on slightly used ones, while letting someone else take the depriciation hit.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-31-2012, 12:09 PM Reply   
Pretty much exactly what I said. He's not opposed to getting a slightly used boat, but prefers new.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-31-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
I would have him look into the Chapparal H20 series. They make a 19' boat that is nationally advertised for 23,385 with a trailer. Chapparal makes as nice a runabout as anybody besides Cobalt and cobalt aint going to have anythign priced that low I am pretty sure. I just built one up on their boat builder and took that standard 19' boat, added the 220hp v6(he doesn't need a v6 if he is only using it for hanging out and cruising but if he wants to do any watersports at all he will wan tthe V6 or if he is going to back the boat with people), bimini, bow cover, cockpit cover, bolster seats, convienence package and it came to a fe bucks under 30k and that includes freight and prep.

Others I would consider are Regal, Four Winns, Crownline, Larson, Glastron and even Bayliner if he just wants a cheap boat to get out on. The Chapparal will be as nice if not nicer then every brand just mentioned.

http://www.chaparralboats.com/2011/c...d=31&page=home

I like inboards for more reasons then just watersports performance like the water line platform, prop under the boat, better layout, I like how they drive, etc but he is probably going to have to go 5-10 years old to find one at 30k or less. That beign said he will lose a lot less in resale buying a used boat of any kind.
Old    kx250frider617            05-31-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
I would but an inboard just for the fact that it is almost impossible for people to get chewed up by the prop. I always laugh when people come on my boat a freak out if the motor is on while they are in the water. Not to mention, the I/O boat screams newbie out on the water.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-31-2012, 1:11 PM Reply   
I would look into a Caravelle, can be had for less than that, wood free construction, and includes all that you listed as well as an extended swim platform.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-01-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250frider617 View Post
I would but an inboard just for the fact that it is almost impossible for people to get chewed up by the prop. I always laugh when people come on my boat a freak out if the motor is on while they are in the water. Not to mention, the I/O boat screams newbie out on the water.
I would say that post screams newb. If you think that just because your prop is under the boat farther that nothing can happen, you're an idiot. Lots of people have IOs over inboards. If you're not into watersports, IOs make can make more sense. Sure you have to be more conscience of your motor, but they get better gas mileage, are generally faster, and handle rough water better. I love inboards as much as the next guy, but lets not have our heads buried in the sand.
Old    kx250frider617            06-01-2012, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
I would say that post screams newb. If you think that just because your prop is under the boat farther that nothing can happen, you're an idiot. Lots of people have IOs over inboards. If you're not into watersports, IOs make can make more sense. Sure you have to be more conscience of your motor, but they get better gas mileage, are generally faster, and handle rough water better. I love inboards as much as the next guy, but lets not have our heads buried in the sand.
When was the last time you were swimming behind your platform and your leg reached all the way to the prop? Never!! Of course, if your under way and run something over something is bound to happen. Now with an I/O, i've heard people getting cut by the prop just be grazing it with the motor off.

I think it's easy to say that inboards are way safer in that area. Not to mention, this is a Wakeboat Forum and I'm sure mostly everyone here gets pissed off when they see a I/O making it's way over into the glassy water.

Judging people by the outside works for boats too. If you see a line of wake boats and one I/O you obviously assume who is the newb and if you can't relate, your kidding yourself. Everyone does it.

I've also noticed how people react to different types of boats. I've noticed that people are more generous to boaters that look experienced. Riding in my boat, just an older tige, mostly all the go-fast boats wave in respect when passing me, now in my friends Four WInns, they just blow by.

This is in Havasu which is pretty crazy but it is just something I've noticed. Not just me giving my opinion but real world experience.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-01-2012, 8:26 AM Reply   
I would honestly just get an inboard anyways. It can do everything am I/O does. That way he at least has the option to wakeboard if need be. Plus I hate props sticking out the back. Makes me cringe every time i see them.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
If he is just looking for a boat for fun, and he wants new (for warranty and peice of mind), he should look at Bayliners, then look at Sea Ray, Regal. Bayliners are probably your most budget oriented boat, heck, you can get a brnad new Bayliner 170 for like $15K. Good enough for a lot of people. The he can look at 18-19' bayliners, 18' Sea Rays for closed to the $30K mark. Best advise for him is to shop local retailers and ask for test drives. If the dealer is not willing to offer test drive, then walk away.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-01-2012, 9:04 AM Reply   
An inboard can do everything an i/o can do?Really?Have a rookie try to drive both in reverse and that statement will be proven false. Without any experience an i/o is way easier to handle.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-01-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
I agree with Jay and Paul although I like that the prop is under the boat on an inboard. I think it is safer although definitely not completely safe. No matter what type of a boat an idiot on th eboat or behind the wheel can cause some serious damage. I/O's are completely fine for 75% of boaters out there.
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-01-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
For just a runabout the newer Yamaha's really are great boats. They have no external running gear so they are significantly safer than an I/O with the outdrive hanging out back. You also don't have a prop to damage if you mistakenly get too shallow (which many newbies do). With no outdrive they are much easier and cheaper to maintain. They are harder to drive at docking speeds than an I/O but it’s not that hard. They do at least steer in reverse. No outdrive to worry about raising when trailering as well.

The newer engines are fuel injected and very reliable, pretty much a marinized motorcycle engine like in the 212SS which uses Yamaha R1 engines. The newer boats are also much better on fuel economy, comparable to what a V-drive gets with no ballast. A buddy of mine has the 212SS, it's a good boat that has given him no problems. It appears to be a quality and solid build that is also very fun to drive. They also have quite a bit of freeboard height and a pretty deep hull, so they handle rough water much better than an inboard.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 9:31 AM Reply   
I have heard a lot of stories of first timmers dropping a lot of $$$ on inboards tournament boats becuase they look sick. Shortly after the buyer complains how slow the boat goes and how he gets passed by your average I/O all the time - now they are dissapointed. My advice to anyone new to boats is to start with an I/O. They IMO are less expensive, more forgiving, easier to drive/control and forgiving in weeds, shallows and rougher water.

Inboards IMO are more for the experienced boater with a purpose of pulling. I tell newby boaters (The ones that first ask "how fast does she go?") that these boats are expensive, heavy, slow, noisy, have a bunch of holes in the hull, and have no 'power off' manoverability and suck a ton of gas. Then I get the deer in the headlights look. go figure
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-01-2012, 9:34 AM Reply   
X2 on "how fast does she go",I tell people that I have 330hp and that's the first question then amazement that I can only get 40mph on top end.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
If you have the money buy new, if it's not hurting your bank account why not get a boat that will be covered under warranty if something happens. Some dealers can even include priority servicing for new boat buyers, meaning the turn around is days instead of weeks. There are benefits but if he is on a budget, definitely buy a slightly used one or go down to your local dealer and see if they have a promo or demo boat. You can usually get really good pricing on those boats and would still come with full warranties.
Old    kx250frider617            06-01-2012, 11:38 AM Reply   
I would have your buddy get on your boat and teach him how to do everything. Give him the experience and show him how to load/unload the trailer, pull up to the docks, anchor, how to set up the shore spike and everything. Teach him what water is too shallow and how to look for under water sand bars etc. That'll be way more help then picking out a boat.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-01-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
So if I am tied up in my io next to a bunch of wakeboats, I am the newb because I happened to drive my IO that day? I have been boating all my life and I would actually say the exact opposite. I see far more young twenty year old guys in brand new wakeboats with no boards in the racks and a tower full of speakers than I see IO owners acting like newbs.

I am not arguing that in general terms inboards are probably safer, but if you do the things you should be doing as a driver, it shouldn't make a difference.
Old    kx250frider617            06-01-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
Maybe its just because I'm mad that my last Set was ruined by four I/O trying to race each other.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-01-2012, 12:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
I think it's easy to say that inboards are way safer in that area. Not to mention, this is a Wakeboat Forum and I'm sure mostly everyone here gets pissed off when they see a I/O making it's way over into the glassy water.
What exactly is wrong with an I/O heading towards glass water. I have an I/O and I wakeboard behind it more than some of you with "wakeboats". Now if someone is pullin a tube through that glass water I understand, but I see just as many wakeboats pulling tubes as I do I/Os... so don't hate on someone just because they don't have a wakeboat. Give em props for doing the best with what they got.

Last edited by skuhleman; 06-01-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old    kx250frider617            06-01-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuhleman View Post
What exactly is wrong with an I/O heading towards glass water. I have an I/O and I wakeboard behind it more than some of you with "wakeboats". Now if someone is pullin a tube through that glass water I understand, but I see just as many wakeboats pulling tubes as I do I/Os... so don't hate on someone just because they don't have a wakeboat. Give em props for doing the best with what they got.
In my water way, they do not allow tubes. So everyone boards or skies. Most I/O just cruise around with no rider and ruin the water.

I board in the harbor that is all a no wake zone, besides the water ski section. Most people are to lazy to idle to the ocean so they just come into the stadium. The stadium is only 1 mile long, and narrow, everyone has to run in a counter clockwise rotation around two buoys at either end. So the only way to get clean water is 2 boats max. Thus, when we see a I/O just to cruise around everyone gets mad. It's not hard to point out the boat that doesn't fit in my area.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-01-2012, 1:14 PM Reply   
well that makes a little more sense.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 1:41 PM Reply   
Jordan- you in Long Beach at Marine Stadium?
Old    kx250frider617            06-01-2012, 3:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaveup View Post
Jordan- you in Long Beach at Marine Stadium?
Yes, so you probably know how I feel when some guy just comes cruising in to drive around when they have the whole ocean to do that.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-01-2012, 2:04 PM Reply   
Yeah cause if you're not pulling a rider you have no reason to be on the water,what a closed minded bunch of jerks.People just out running their boats have as much right to do so as us with riders.If they get in your way it's probably because they don't know any better,you can buy a boat go get in it without any instruction and away you go on the water.Hell when I bought my wakeboat I was telling the dealer things about the boat they had no clue.A car has brakes,usable reverse and turn signals and you must have a license.I'm not saying there should be a license,but you can just get in a boat and go without any idea of what you are doing and what the ru\les of the water are.How many boaters know why the bow light is red and green?Same thing @ the launch ramp,don't go learn how to back up your trailer,just learn @ the ramp and hold everyone else up for 15mins while they try to zig zag their trailer into the water.It's yhe way it goes now,I'm the most important person and what I'm doing is more important than what you're doing.There are plenty of people with i/o's that are good boaters same as there is plenty inboard owners that are self centered dumb asses that don't have a clue what they're doing.