Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    west_sider            07-31-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
im moving from san diego to wa, and we are getting a boat and its my choice Ive been riding behind an 02 and 03 super air lately, so a super air is what i like the best. I like the graphics on the 00 and 01 super airs, but ive never ridden behind one. Is there a big difference between the years? Also if anyone has one for sale email me at Superair141@yahoo.com

thanks, bryan
Old    corey_marotta            08-01-2003, 8:58 AM Reply   
Your stoked on any Super from 95 to current. Small changes of any from the begging to now.
Old     (cramey)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-01-2003, 10:19 AM Reply   
My favorite boat / graphics are the 02.

I've ridden behind an 01 that is weighted well, and the wake is just as sick as an 02/03. Dunno about the 00s, but i think the 02 is the year to go as the rear ballast takes are angled and larger.
Old    west_sider            08-01-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
the ballast is different in the 02 than the 01? i will prob just add weight anyways so it prob wont matter
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-04-2003, 6:06 PM Reply   
the engines in the 01s are great.
Old    wakeboarder4lif            08-06-2003, 10:36 AM Reply   
yes the ballast is differnt from 01 to 02 the 01's have two rear ballast tanks holding about 200lbs. per tank the 02's have two 200lbs. in the rear and then another 600lbs. were the ski locker was in the 01's if I were you I would try to find a used 03 with the excallaber 330 engine in it. that's a great engine tons of low end torque

as far as the wake shape the hull has not change shape since about 96 or so. so they all have the same wake when weighted the same
Old     (jayman1)      Join Date: May 2002       08-08-2003, 6:48 AM Reply   
I have owned and ridden behind an 01 and an 03 Super Air. The 01 had hard ballast tanks in the back (250lb on each side)with a 500lb soft ballast in the middle ski storage(1000lb total). The wake was big, but not the biggest I have seen. It was very crisp and solid, like hitting a curb.

The 03 SAN Team Edition has hard ballast tanks in the back and in the center hull area. Back tanks have 250lb on each side with the tanks shaped larger in the rear(more weight in the back I guess). The center ballast is 320lb for a total of 820lb. The wake is larger than the 01 with a longer approach more like a Malibu but sill very crisp. It took more getting use to for me because the time to anticipate the "pop" is a bit longer. But for other riders (who are more than likely better than me) it makes for a larger wake which means more air.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-08-2003, 7:27 AM Reply   
...and check out Jay's '03 Team...if it's still for sale, it's definitely worth a look. Very clean, and decked out with all the extras.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-08-2003, 7:39 AM Reply   
The hull has not changed since 96, so I don't understand how an '03 has a bigger wake that an '01 with more weight. I have an '01 and I like a pretty rampy wake. I use lead plates for ballast. I put 150 lbs over each 200 lb rear tank, 650 lbs in the ski locker, and 250 lbs in the bow. 1,600 lb total and the wake kicks pretty good.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-08-2003, 8:37 AM Reply   
I have a 02 and definitely prefer the look better than any previous year boats. However from my experience the 01' seems to be a little more solid structurally than my 02'. The 01' seems to ride through the chop easier with less rattles. But as far as the wake is concerned, I have heard that it takes less weight in the 03' and 04' to get a better wake.
Old    chase            08-08-2003, 1:25 PM Reply   
There is a very subtle difference in the 01 and 02 wakes. The chines are slightly different and it does affect the wake slightly. Shane's 03 has less weight in it than my 01 and his wake is slightly firmer than mine.

My wake is bigger with more weight but when we weight them the same his has more "kick". It would be hard for a non-SAN owner to tell a difference but there is a difference.

I love them both and would highly reccomend either! Good luck.
Old     (jayman1)      Join Date: May 2002       08-11-2003, 9:02 AM Reply   
Matt...the wake behind your 01 sounds sick. I am sure that extra lead weight does the trick.

Paul...thanks for keeping us on track here. I am going to sound like I am old school but...I like the 01 graphics better with the silver cloud and colored 'N'. I also agree with Paul as far as the 'solid feel' of an 01. The mounting points of the towers are wider with the 01 than they are with the newer SANs. Do you think that's why it feels more solid because the only thing that rattles a bit on my 03 is the tower.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-11-2003, 9:48 AM Reply   
I think is has something to do with either the way the fiberglass is laid up, or how the deck has changed and the way it is structurally attached to the hull. In a friend's 02' this problem becomes evident with the way the deck flexes. I don't want to bad mouth CC here so I will just leave it at that.

I think the best thing to do is figure out what is best for you. Make sure you test drive them first.