Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (crazyeye)      Join Date: May 2007       06-10-2007, 8:32 PM Reply   
Currently I tow my '05 X-2 with a '06 Lexus GX470. I will be upgrading to a vehicle more capable of towing and have narrowed it down to the following choices. Your opinions and input are appreciated:

1.) Cadillac Escalade EXT (the truck)
2.) Chevy Avalanche
3.) The New Toyota Tundra
4.) GMC/Chevy 2500 Suburban

We will probably be upgrading to an X-Star in two years, so this new vehicle needs to be able to handle the extra weight.

Thanks!
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-10-2007, 8:51 PM Reply   
If there all 07's then i really don't see where you can end up wrong. Basically comes down to if you ever need a bed to tow crap in or for those extra "around the house" projects to get a truck. And if your happy with the SUV as it suits your family then boom its all you Mark. I'd say test drive, check out what you like the best. All should be more than enough to tow.

but on the other hand i hear the new tundra is a beast when it comes to towing, up to 10,000 pounds or something!
Old    mendo247            06-10-2007, 8:51 PM Reply   
Hands Down!! Espically if your gonna be getting a bigger boat..

1.) Cadillac Escalade EXT (the truck)
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-10-2007, 9:05 PM Reply   
My opinion, don't even mess with a gasser...seriously consider a diesel, otherwise my choice would be #1 as well.

(Message edited by wake_upppp on June 10, 2007)
Old     (crazyeye)      Join Date: May 2007       06-10-2007, 9:09 PM Reply   
It will be my daily driver as well. I haven't looked into diesel, but is it readily available in Los Angeles? I don't see it very often at the pumps here.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       06-10-2007, 9:37 PM Reply   
stay away from the BLING! anything but the Escalade
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2007, 10:10 PM Reply   
turbo diesel 3/4 ton or up.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-10-2007, 11:42 PM Reply   
Cadillac EXT, 403 hp and 412 tq is hard to beat.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-11-2007, 12:25 AM Reply   
EXT has All Wheel Drive which is worth much more than you guess in any marginal driving conditions, and it has a tighter turning radius. Diesels smell, make noise, and don't have the horsepower.
There, now all the diesel fans will come on and talk about what they want...
Old    ryanbush            06-11-2007, 1:25 AM Reply   
Escalade All The Way!!!!
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-11-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
how much do you tow out to the river? if you head that way a lot I can tell you the Avalanche is not your best choice. I have an 04 Avy and the 5.3L motor just sucks wind up those long grades. It tows fine now I am out in the flat mid-west but towing to the river you had to always have your foot in it.
Old     (crazyeye)      Join Date: May 2007       06-11-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
We tow every weekend up some pretty steep grades and curvy roads. We also have to tackle the "Grape Vine" in So Cal. once a month when we head up to Lake Nacimiento.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-11-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
If you go toyota, wait for 08 so they have more time to work the bugs out.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
my vote-3/4 ton Suburban- bigger brakes, heavier springs,I've been pullin boats with 'em since '79. Get 4x4 for those bad boat ramps. rumor has it dura-max available in Subs for '08, hope its true I'll be ordering one if so.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-11-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
"and don't have the horsepower." (diesels)

somewhat true. But fortunetly TORQUE is the name of the game on the street, not horsepower, especialy when towing. And a gasser can't touch a diesel for MPG when towing. Not to mention diesel fuel is 30 cents a gallon cheaper and gas prices continue to climb with no end in sight.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-11-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
Chis, where did you hear that the suburban will get a diesel?
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-12-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
hasnt that been the rumor for the past couple a years???
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-12-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
are there any suv's with diesels ?
Old     (xbrdr1)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-12-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
use to be...Excursions.
Old     (duramaxer)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-12-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
Art I think that you are somewhat miss informed about what a diesel is for.
The new Dmax is sitting at 365 hp which is less than the catty yes but the torque is 660ft/lbs which that little "truck" can't even touch. Plus the 6 speed alison tranny is an awsome piece of equipment that is attached to that diesel engine. That is what gets you down the road and up the hills faster and with more ease than a gasser not to mention the fact that the fuel economy will be way better loaded or not.
My diesel is getting about 14-16 mpg loaded and 20-21 empty. Also 410 hp and 720 ft/lbs of torque. I do have some mods but nothing crazy and they are very reasonable to do to these trucks. There are new mods coming available for the new trucks as well.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-12-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
It's been a rumor for six or seven years, but a chevy "salesman" @ connell chev in costa mesa told me it's finally gonna happen... I'm not gonna hold my breath. but IMO, GM is stupid not to offer the deisel in what has been arguably the grandaddy of all tow vehicles/SUVs for 50 years or more. I've got the 8.1 litre w/ 455ft.lbs. of torque so it tows fine, but 10 mpg @ today's gas prices...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-12-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
Hey diesel guys, no arguments from me on the mileage that a diesel gets. When you've got a load it can give better fuel economy than a gas engine.
It's still noisy and smells and you can get the torque through gears. Some guys love their diesels but I'm not a fan for what is mostly going to be transportation. I've watched turbo diesel pickups go down the dragstrip in 9 seconds but I've seen that with a front wheel drive import too (and a semi with three jet engines). It's just a matter of choice.
Old     (bodie1204)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-12-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
cadillac and avalanche both pull great.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-12-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
Art, I am not sure what you mean by noisy, I guess you have missed the new diesels that are out there. Noise and smell, those are some objections I would expect to hear from someone on the left coast or surburban wife.
Old     (duramaxer)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-12-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
If you are trying to get more torque in your gasser you will want to increase your stroke of your engine to have any gains. If you use gears you will be getting a different gear ratio but your torque stays the same. You will be losing speed if you change the gears to pull better so again the diesel will pull past you and wave good bye.
Shane is right the new diesel are much less noisy than in the past also not as smelly either.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-12-2007, 10:32 PM Reply   
I've got experience with the newer diesels and they are a vast improvement over a Cummins I had in a Dodge a few years ago. Just not what I want to drive.
Oh, and I'm not a suburban wife quite yet but I do have to explain that the Venture is my wife's tall station wagon and that no, I never would own a minivan.
Mind you I've driven a three door Suburban that I borrowed from a friends wife. (It had the old 396 and would have been better with any diesel)

Anyway, get the Gas engine, the All Wheel Drive, and the tight turn circle. Too bad they don't sell it in a really bright red. (Now all the black truck guys are going to chime in...)
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-13-2007, 5:44 AM Reply   

quote:

Not to mention diesel fuel is 30 cents a gallon cheaper and gas prices continue to climb with no end in sight.

Here in AZ gas prices are coming down with a continual reduction predicted. Gas and diesel are within about 10c of each other, whereas up until about 3 months ago diesel was typically 30-40c more.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-13-2007, 6:19 AM Reply   
If my needs gave me a daily driver and then a truck. I certainly would go for the diesel.

Back in reality, no matter how much I tried I could not justify the initial expense. In the end I chose the Tundra.

The Tundra is a Beast. 385 bHP,400lbtrq, 4.33 gear ratio all rapped up in a great package with plenty of options to choose.

I hope this is the last truck ever.Becaus I dont think I'll be able to let go of this one.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-13-2007, 6:35 AM Reply   
Oh and the TUndra is 0% financing for 5 years right now until JUly 9th. If you want on start looking because the good combos are hard to find.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-13-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
That's a pretty sweet deal Derby. All reviews I have read give the new Tundra high marks.

I have a daily driver and then my diesel truck. I live too close to everything to fire it up just to get a six pack or a gallon of milk.

It's pretty weird how they manipulate gas and diesel prices differently. Almost like they pick and choose what sector they want to hit up for cash. Diesel for commercial, gas for the consumer.
Old     (duramaxer)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-13-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
I would say that if I was getting a gas pot I would definatly go with the Tundra. My buddy has one and it is a really nice truck and well built. If Toyota built a diesel I would have that over anything else for sure or a Titan. The domestic trucks can't even compare with the imports (better fit and finish, last longer and seem pretty strong for a gasser).
The only complaint my buddy has about his Yo is that when he hooks his boat on the fuel milage is awful. It pulls his Tige but he pays for it and the trips are longer with all the fuel stops.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-14-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
"Here in AZ gas prices are coming down with a continual reduction predicted."

Just curious where you read that? Most are predicting record high prices this summer. Gas prices will continue to rise as world wide demand is the highest it's ever been. Diesel is a much better bet for stability in pricing since just about all goods in this country are transported by truckers. Raise diesel to high and piss off the truckers and watch this country shut down when they park the trucks...
Old     (skurfed)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-15-2007, 1:18 AM Reply   
Not on your short list, but you should seriously consider an Armada with tow package. Very much like my '05 - 9800lb towing, 385 ft lbs torque.
New Pathfinder also now has the same v8 if you want something a bit smaller for daily driver.
(or QX 56 if you want more bling factor)
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-15-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
yeah, that Armada is niiiice. they look real nice with 22's on em. and they do tow great. been in a couple towing 3000-4000# boats and I was impressed. Superior IMO to the Tahoe.

I would go Armada or Caddy EXT. The one thing I do like on my Avy is how i can lock up my gear in the back and I can remove one or all 3 covers for more storage or hauling stuff.

The new EXT are sweeet. Maybe its just me but the Tundra looks wise, takes a little getting use too, and I am not there yet.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-15-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
well about diesel, its much more drivable and here in GA its everywhere and about 20 cents cheaper per gallon

ya diesel would be smarter, how far are you driving because you are going to have HORRIBLE mileage with a truck + all the boat weight
Old     (crazyeye)      Join Date: May 2007       06-15-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
The weekend lake is 45 miles away. Once a month we go to Nacimiento, which is 250 miles away.
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       06-15-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
I have been checking out the new Tundras and found this beast online. Looks good!Upload