Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-22-2012, 6:11 AM Reply   
After a year and a half of debating what boat to get, I finally placed an order Thursday for a 2012 Tige RZR. We actually planned on ordering a boat around this time last year but between my work schedule, travel and our 2 small boys the summer was over before we knew it!

The good thing is that we were able to ride in and behind a couple different boats and were able to see all the new boats at the Houston Boat Show for 2 years. From the beginning I was drawn to Tige as it was the first boat I ever wake boarded behind back in college in the late 90's.

I know over the last 1.5 years I've drove Steve and Brandon at Texas Tige crazy with my indecisiveness but they were always very accommodating. Steve and Texas Tige are probably one of the biggest reasons I chose Tige. Their commitment to the brand and customer are 2nd to none and their service manager is probably the foremost PCM authority in the industry. In fact, he wrote or co wrote the actual PCM service manual.

Although I had already made my decision and put down a deposit at the boat show on Sunday, it also didn't hurt that in back to back test drives today the RZR easily outperformed a 2012 X2. The wakeboard wake on the RZR was bigger and rampier and the surf wake was so much better it was actually almost laughable. The RZR is much better looking, the Alpha Z tower was sturdier and the boat handled and cornered better than the X2.

The hardest part of the whole process really was deciding what color combo to go with. I really wanted an all graphite boat but after seeing it in person, the graphite just wasn't dark enough, although I really liked it in metallic pearl. We played around with some Electric Blue accents, white accents, black, etc but nothing ever really stood out until we visited the boat show this past weekend.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-22-2012, 6:34 AM Reply   
I just couldn't stop looking at this boat that Texas Tige had in their booth:

So we finally decided to order the RZR exactly like the RZ2 at Texas Tige with the following colors and options:

Entire boat and tower in Frost
Entire interior and dash in Mercury (the textured grey accent material) with black stitching and piping (completely custom)
Light grey bimini
Surf ballast
Carlotta steering wheel
Tower of power stereo with white Rev10's and transom remote
Dual batteries
SS rubrail
Salt water steering (we will mostly be on the San Bernard River which is brackish)
Salt water flush kit
Fresh water strainer
Zinc anode
Boat cover
Clamping board racks (way too expensive but very cool and a must!)

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-22-2012, 6:36 AM Reply   
Congratulations on your new Tige! I'm sure you wlll enjoy it.You should tour the factory in Abilene Texas. It's right across the street from the airport and it will really help you see the Quality that goes into these boats.Happy Boating.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-22-2012, 6:43 AM Reply   
Very nice
Old     (Vxmine)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-22-2012, 7:00 AM Reply   
I have to vouch for Steve also. I met him at the boat show and he's followed up with me a couple of times. He spent 30 minutes with me on the phone last week not only talking about the used boats he had for sale, but helping me with the local lakes, storage information, and overall boating experience in our area.

Oh yeah, they have a 2008 22Ve that is really nice...

James
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-22-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Congratulations on your new Tige! I'm sure you wlll enjoy it.You should tour the factory in Abilene Texas. It's right across the street from the airport and it will really help you see the Quality that goes into these boats.Happy Boating.
Thanks Robert. I definitely want to tour the factory. I didn't realize Abilene had an airport. I checked quickly but didn't see any direct flights there from Houston. I'll have to look a little more later.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-22-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
TJ love the all white sweat boat. You will really be glad you got the all white when you start cleaning it. I wish I had gone all white with the tan interior just for clean up.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-22-2012, 8:35 AM Reply   
Originally I was going to do a tandem axle Boatmate trailer custom painted in Sterling Grey to match my Platinum F150 Ecoboost (which I can't wait to tow with). Even though I don't like the look, I am strongly considering an aluminum trailer for the durability in the brackish water.

The water this past year was REALLY salty. A couple friends on the river who previously had painted steel trailers opted for aluminum trailers and are really happy they did.

I did some research on aluminum trailers and decided I just couldn't live with an I Beam version unless that's absolutely all I could get. I found a couple high end builders (Pacific and Myco) who build custom C-Channel framed, aluminum trailers. Pacific won't deliver and Myco will only do 30' boats and above because of cost.

I called McClain Trailers here in Houston and talked to them about it. They called manufacturing and said they could actually do a C-Channel frame Aluminum trailer and custom build it for my RZR! This style looks much more like a traditional steel trailer and since everything is welded as opposed to being bolted on, they can build it so that the boat sits much lower on the trailer than an I Beam version. This is key for getting it to fit in the garage.

I found a couple pics of a C-Channel aluminum trailer they did and I think it looks great, minus the diamond plate. Because they build it custom and really take into consideration the placement and balance of the boat on the trailer, they were able to lower the tongue weight from 1110lbs to 750lbs on this particular trailer over his previous I Beam trailer.

I had them price it with the Fulton F2 jack, Fulton wench, all LED lighting, all stainless screws, bolts and hardware, aluminum wheels, surge brakes and swing away tongue.

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-22-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
I just couldn't stop looking at this boat that Texas Tige had in their booth:

So we finally decided to order the RZR exactly like the RZ2 at Texas Tige with the following colors and options:

Entire boat and tower in Frost
Entire interior and dash in Mercury (the textured grey accent material) with black stitching and piping (completely custom)
Light grey bimini
Surf ballast
Carlotta steering wheel
Tower of power stereo with white Rev10's and transom remote
Dual batteries
SS rubrail
Salt water steering (we will mostly be on the San Bernard River which is brackish)
Salt water flush kit
Fresh water strainer
Zinc anode
Boat cover
Clamping board racks (way too expensive but very cool and a must!)

Those colors are great. That will be one really nice boat. Congratulations on the purchase.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-22-2012, 8:05 PM Reply   
That is a VERY good looking boat. I'm all for the "ghost" look. Looks especially good with Tige's white tower and white WetSounds.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-22-2012, 8:27 PM Reply   
Congrats on the sweet ride! Can't wait to get my new boat. Probably going to be 2-3 years though.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-22-2012, 10:46 PM Reply   
I really like what TIGE is doing these days! That is a beautiful boat!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-23-2012, 11:27 AM Reply   
Wow, that's a good looking boat. I don't know why all-white looks so good, but it never seems to disappoint. Soooo clean! It's making me wonder if I chose the right colors for my Z3!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-23-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
Your Boat is going to be beautiful! Love the all white!
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-23-2012, 1:22 PM Reply   
Congratulations on your Tige', I really like your color scheme, once you go white you never go back! Hope you have some great times on the water this season! Enjoy... post up some pics when you take delivery, that will be a great day for you!
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2012, 2:58 PM Reply   
Very nice and classy.
Old     (sandaddiction)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-23-2012, 6:07 PM Reply   
What is the price difference between the RZR and RZ2?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-23-2012, 6:48 PM Reply   
About 7k to 10k depending on options you select.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-07-2012, 9:58 AM Reply   
Tige sent a couple pics of my boat this morning. Being all white, it looks kinda plain now but I think it will look great once it's finished. I can't wait to see the interior!

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-07-2012, 9:59 AM Reply   
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-07-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
Looking good so far! We finally got a dealer near me that has Tige. Hoping to get over and check them out later this week but they look awesome!
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-15-2012, 8:09 AM Reply   
Just got a few more pics of my boat:

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-15-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
So fresh, so clean. Nice job!
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-16-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
I stopped by McClain Trailers today. They are a day or two from being done with my trailer. It was hard to get many good pics but I think it looks really good. The steps and fenders will be diamond plate which I'm not real thrilled about but smooth stainless would have been crazy expensive. They bolt on so I'm thinking about taking them off at some point and having them sprayed with bed liner. A light grey would look good.

Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-16-2012, 1:46 PM Reply   
Hey TJ, if you don't mind me asking, what did the trailer end up costing you? I'm in the Houston area and need to get a new trailer for my Sanger and been leaning towards going aluminum also but don't like the I-beam look either. That C-channel trailer looks really good. Feel free to PM if you don't want to post the price on the forum. I also wouldn't mind taking a look at the finished trailer in person.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-16-2012, 1:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston View Post
Hey TJ, if you don't mind me asking, what did the trailer end up costing you? I'm in the Houston area and need to get a new trailer for my Sanger and been leaning towards going aluminum also but don't like the I-beam look either. That C-channel trailer looks really good. Feel free to PM if you don't want to post the price on the forum. I also wouldn't mind taking a look at the finished trailer in person.
Preston, give Steve at Texas Tige a call 936.447.8443. I called McClain Trailers myself and they really weren't interested in building the trailer because it's pretty labor intensive vs an I-Beam. The price they eventually quoted me was quite a bit higher than what I ended up paying which was around $5800 if I remember, with all the options. It could be a little more depending on the boat and considering you are not buying a new boat but I'm sure Steve will take care of you.

I talked to one of the guys at McClain today and mentioned that maybe once it is done, Texas Tige might be able to sell more of them...He didn't get too excited. He said he really didn't enjoy doing them because no matter what they are still completely custom and he basically has to have 1 welder/fabricator on it from start to finish, instead of moving it down an assembly line.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-16-2012, 1:58 PM Reply   
And you are definitely welcome to look at it when it's done. It will probably be at Texas Tige for a couple more weeks, until my boat is done.
Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-16-2012, 5:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the response TJ. I'll try to swing by Texas Tige and check it out.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-16-2012, 7:42 PM Reply   
TJ I live on Lake Conroe and drive by Texas Tige daily, look forward to seeing the new beauty out front soon, hopefully I will see it out on the lake or river
this spring too!
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-17-2012, 3:58 PM Reply   
I stopped by again today. Looks like they are almost done. It looks like it sits a lot higher than a Boatmate trailer but I measured and it was only about 3" taller (87" from the ground to the top of the windshield) than the RZR at Texas Tige on a Boatmate tandem trailer with 18" wheels.

They are cutting off those makeshift eyelets and are going to weld a piece of boxed aluminum there for me to bolt a racheting strap.

I expected them to use boxed tubing for the bunk supports but I guess they know what they are doing. That aluminum is pretty thick.

My brother is going to make me some new stainless steps and fenders for me. I wish the underside of the bunks were carpeted or at least painted. Since they sit a little higher you can see the underside. That won't be hard to do later on if it bothers me.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-22-2012, 9:50 PM Reply   
I moved some pics around in Photobucket by mistake and broke the links to the pictures above. Oh well, I should have some better pics soon.

I got a couple more pics today. The clamping board racks are installed now. Just about everything else looks done. They're just waiting on the vinyl we ordered to come in to do the interior.

I picked up a new Ronix One Time Bomb today at M2 Sports in Houston. Can't wait to get it out on the water!

Hopefully they will get the boots in soon. I think they're pretty sweet.

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-25-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
Jean sent a few more pics today! Tige's customer service is awesome!

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-25-2012, 1:19 PM Reply   
I'm glad people out there still like the Ghost look going all white...
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-25-2012, 8:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post

The water this past year was REALLY salty. A couple friends on the river who previously had painted steel trailers opted for aluminum trailers and are really happy they did.
You just need to ditch the LSJ for the Trinity, where all the cool people ride.
Old     (guma)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-25-2012, 9:12 PM Reply   
Clamping board racks FTW!
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-26-2012, 9:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
You just need to ditch the LSJ for the Trinity, where all the cool people ride.
We ride on the San Bernard River. I've never been to the LSJ or the Trinity but we'll probably check them out this year since we finally have our own boat.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-26-2012, 9:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
Clamping board racks FTW!
Yeah Guma! We primarily rode behind 2 different boats last year; a 04 XStar and a 2011 Tige RZR. The clamping board racks on the XStar were awesome. The bungee racks on the Tige aren't bad. I liked them better than the Nautique racks, but the new Tige clamping racks have to be the nicest out. I guess time will tell.

I nearly fell out of the chair when Steve told me the price! The boat show pick 3 certainly made it easier since I only had to pay for the upgrade.

I figured I better get them now, thinking that Mastercraft might try to throw a fit that they are infringing on their patent. I wonder what they did to make sure it was different enough?
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-26-2012, 6:49 PM Reply   
i know a guy who ran the ran bernard. taft leisner. black moomba mobius lsv
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-27-2012, 3:07 PM Reply   
Jean just sent these pics of my boat. We did a custom grey vinyl in place of the Chrome vinyl Tige normally does and did Mercury as the accent color and also where the Mercury would normally go. We also did ALL of the stitching in black. I think it looks really nice and clean.

They did the water test on it already. It looks like the graphics should be on by Wednesday. Getting really close!

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-28-2012, 2:54 PM Reply   
It looks like there's just a few more details left and it will be ready to go!

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-07-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
Steve just sent me these pics of my boat loaded up at the factory, getting ready to make the trek back to Texas Tige!

Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-07-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
Absolutely love the all white nice job!!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-07-2012, 8:58 PM Reply   
Can't get enough of this White! Great build!