Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-07-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
I left my boat in High Rock Lake this weekend. This lake is notorious for its sediment loads. Any way to get the "High Rock Ring" off my boat w/o damaging the gelcoat? Thanks in advance
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
acid wash?
Old     (akajimster)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-07-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
Ryan is right. Try StarBrite Hull Cleaner. It is a mild acidic cleaner. I'm not sure what "high rock ring" is, but this cleaner works great getting off lake scum, aka dirty water, stains, etc. I've used it several times on my Supreme and it works great. Apply it with a damp sponge and rinse off within a couple of minutes. If it's real bad, you may have to reapply. I've always washed the boat after applying, just to make sure no acidic residue is left behind. Also, I'm fairly certain it will strip any wax job off the boat; that's the big downside.

You can buy it at West Marine, Overton's etc.
Old     (holms)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-07-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
I like "crazy clean" from Sprayaway #31
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-07-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
I'll second the Starbrite. It has worked well for me in the past. I have also seen it at Walmart if that is more convenient.
Old     (rickykamberra)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-08-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
Babes is also money
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
3rd the starbrite hull cleaner. last year i left my boat in the water for most of the summer pulling it out about once a month to deep clean it and the starbrite hull cleaner works miracles.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-08-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
Another happy Star-Brite Hull Cleaner customer.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-08-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
StarBrite it is....thanks again
Old     (kdr)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-08-2008, 12:43 PM Reply   
Here is a plug for FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover).. It's another acid wash, but I swear by the stuff. It's gel so its a little easier to work with. Since my project car has taken up residence in the garage, my boat is staying tied up at the dock more this Summer and my lake is notorious for scum lines and mineral deposits. I just wipe on some FSR when I pull the boat out and the stains just vanish.

Make sure that you wash and wax after use of any these products or the stains will just be worse and show up faster the next time.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-08-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
On the Starbrite hull cleaner does it affect the paint on the trailer?
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-08-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
It can. I've done my boat twice. Both times I was really careful to make sure that the trailer was wet before I started. If I saw any hull cleaner dripping on the trailer, I quickly rinsed it off. The gel stuff kdr mentioned sounds like a great idea. If it is the same acid type, I'd try it.

Jman
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-08-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
I think I'll wrap the trailer in cellophane to make sure it's protected.