Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-05-2005, 1:04 PM Reply   
I am thinking about purchasing a new board within the next two weeks; however, I have been unable to demo several of the boards I am interested in (i.e. the LF Team, Obrien Demented, and Obrien Player). I rode the Substance this past week and, believe it or not, I wasn't too impressed. I am a very competent rider, who loves to go big and land far in the flats. I think the 3-stage rocker simply does not suit my riding style. From what I have researched, I think the Team, Demented, and Player would mesh well w/how I ride. I would genuinely appreciate any feedback you guys can provide on the Team, Demented, and Player. Paz y amor!
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-05-2005, 1:21 PM Reply   
im not a fan of O'Brien boards.

if you like landing in the flats, it probably should be a continous board.

but rather the substance you should check the Subjekt, and also Keith Lymans board by Jstar looks like it might fit, because thats his style, his board is 2.8 continous.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-05-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
Obrien makes LF boards.
I hear good things about the Player. I've never tried one though.
I hear good things about the Substance as well.
Give the Absolute a go if you get a chance.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-05-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
I have a team and think it rides well. Pops good and tracks awesome. I had to change out the stock 1.5" center fins for some 0.9" fins. board rides a lot better now. the stockers just tracked too well. It was difficult to break loose. the 0.9's work much better.

I haven't ridden any of the other boards you're looking at though. So I can't compare.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-05-2005, 2:17 PM Reply   
Im not 100% sure but I think Obrein makes Hyperlite not LF. To the question at hand the Obrien Clutch is real nice, I believe it is a 3 stage but it lands nicly in the flats and is a great ride, just my $.02
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-05-2005, 2:29 PM Reply   
If you want a board to go big & into the flats go for the Demented. The rocker is a blend of 3-stage & continuous, so you get the speed & consistency of coninuous with the extra boost of 3-stage. It's got the spines under your feet for butter landings. One of the best boards I've ever ridden...
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-05-2005, 2:48 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input so far. I think I would certainly prefer the Demented over the Player. Unfortunately, I've always been kind of biased to Liquid Force products. Does LF manufacture a board that rides similar to the Demented? I was under the impression that the Subjekt lands more over the wake versus consistently in the flats? Thanks again for the help guys (and gals).
Old    chasejames11            07-05-2005, 9:33 PM Reply   
I sell boards on ebay. I currently have a new Obrien player and demented both 143 and 141. email me if interested. I have only ridden the player which is a good board with lots of tracking with the middle fin in. its awesome without it also. I have the marius now which edges like a champ. Is it just me or does it seem really heavy. I have highbacks on it which might be the problem. What are the lightest bindings?? Oh yea i have lots of 2004 highbacks for sale also
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-06-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
just got the team a couple of weeks ago and like it more every time i ride it (coming off the subject).

i hated the team with the center fin though, tracked waaaay too well for me.

however, i'm an incompetent rider, so you should skip over this post..
Old     (boarderbabe)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-06-2005, 8:44 PM Reply   
I personally would go for the LF team, I'm getting the Angel, which, if I'm not mistaken the Angel and the Team are brother/sister boards. I rode the Team with Cathy last summer, and then I rode it the other day, and Phil said that I should get the girlie board, and said to get Melissa's board... the Angel. I would for sure at least consider it more than the others, but I've never riden anything but Hyperlite, LF and CWB. I love the way the Team rides. Hope this helps...
*Danielle
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-07-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
Thanks for the 411...I'm gonna go check out several this evening at TSR. They typically don't let people demo out there; however, I may be able to work some magic when they see how eager I am to purchase a new setup.
Old     (ruffneckrider)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-07-2005, 3:43 PM Reply   
Hey, Charles Cadaotte why want you repley to my e-mails bro!
Old    ldb            07-07-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
I am an intermediate rider. being 6'7'' and 240 lbs it has been very difficult to find wakeboarding gear that fits, let alone works well for me. I had been riding riding a demented 141 for a while and recently switched to a Team 143. Both are excellent boards, better than almost all on the market. The team has great characteristics due to its shape and rail design. I find it super consistent, it has great pop if you can edge well, and it releases from the wake on command. I made the following fin changes however to get the board to track the way i like. .9 cutaway center fin, and .9 cups. the cutaway fins will not mount to the rocker of this board though. i simply added a hair more rocker to the fin with a bench grinder to achieve a flush mount. Overall, this board is a perfect choice for any rider that wants their riding to keep progressing to higher levels.