Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (k_poulsen)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-25-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
I am interest in purchasing a new boat for wakesurfing. Pretty much all we do is surf anymore. From what I have researched so far Centurion seems to be what people around here like most. I just want to make a good decision, anyone have any thoughts. Thanks
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-25-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
Centurion is the only company that has specifically engineered stuff for Wakesurfing. As well as designed there hulls for Wakesurrfing. Go to
www.mmwatersports.com and click on wakesurfing and will better explain what the pluses to centurion are. The wake is amazing.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-25-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
The Centurion rep at the boat show said that they will have more and more innovations for surfing coming out in the near future. Seems like he said 09 or 2010 will be pretty revolutionary. I appreciate their commitment to the sport. It will be interesting to watch more people buy boats for the wakesurfing wake first and the wakeboarding wake second. It has been the other way around.
Old    4sher            03-25-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   
Let me first say that I work with Inland Surfer and we have used Centurion Enzos as our team boats for the last 5 years. I will do my best to provide an unbiased account of why we choose to use the Centurion Enzo. Also, we only surf on the port side of the boat, so I have little to no experience with the surf wake on the starboard side of the boat.

In my experience the best wakesurf boats have a V-hull (and, the deeper the better). A deep V hull makes the boat easier to "list" to one side thus creating the wake. I've surfed behind most brands of wake boat and believe that the wake behind the Centurion (specifically the Enzo line) is the best. This, I believe, has to do with the hull design of the Centurion. The Mastercraft X-45 is also very nice but it seemed to require much more ballast to get a comparable wake. I'm also a big fan of the sideswipe exhaust which is exclusive to Centurion but also believe that the FAE (fresh air exhaust) also has strong merits and can be added to most other boat.

So, if I wasn’t affiliated with Inland Surfer but just as passionate about wake surfing and had an unlimited amount of money to spend on a boat, which boat would I purchase? I would choose the Centurion Enzo SV240.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-25-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
My disclaimer. I'm not a sponsored rider but I do organize events and solicit sponsors to help finance non profit events. Centurion is among those sponsors.

I bought a Centurion Enzo for the surf wake first. I have yet to surf behind an Enzo, I'm going off of what I've read and my experience with the Centurion Avalanche.

Of the boats I've surfed behind the Avalanche is the best. Avalanche goofy and regular wakes can both be quite good actually comparable.

The next best is my old Centurion Lightning, but I had to work very hard to get good wakes on both sides of the Lightning.
Old    surfdad            03-25-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
Not to hijack the thread - but that was impressive, Mark. I'm so used to giving you grief! :-) That is a great model for folks wrestling with the advertising issue.

1) Disclosure on affiliation
2) Qualifications/limitations
3) Facts behind the opinion, an effort to be unbiased or at least state a fact(s)
4) Opinion

I think that eleminates the air of advertising when done like that.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-25-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
The question of which boat is best is almost like which board is best. IMO the best boat will give a good wake on either side. The wake should be obtained only by ballast which is totally concealed. Sacks placed all over the seats and floor is not my idea of a fun boating experience. The boat design should allow weighting without the worry of taking water in the vents. The wake face should be clean, without the secondary lip part way up the face. It would include an exhaust system to help with CO. The wake should be clean at speeds from 10 to 13 mph.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-25-2008, 11:18 PM Reply   
The one you can get a ride from (and won't chop off your arm )
Old     (k_poulsen)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-26-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
I appreciate the feedback. I was taking with the dealer here in utah and they were telling me that I could get a right hand rotation boat as pretty much my whole family is goofy. Has anyone used what they called surf right. They sent me home with a video of the goofy wave with some guys from there shop and I am assuming a pro rider riding heel side on it. I have to say it was pretty impressive looking. The wave looked way better than my friends MC that I have been riding behind. It would be great to hear from anyone that has some experience with a right rotation boat or any other advice for that matter.
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-26-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
Well, I just bought my first inboard in September and I have only wake surfed about 5 times in my life so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt if you like. I am in no way shape or form affiliated with anyone other than my wife:-)

I did however buy a Centurion and I have surfed my buddies Avalanche..it is amazing for sure. Such an addicting sport considering I live at the beach and wait around for weeks on real waves.

The rightsurf option is brand new for 2008 and its just a reverse prop rotation to my knowledge so that the goofy (darkside) of the boat is the better side. Such a great option considering all but 1 of my crew is goofy. Check it out in depth with a local dealer and dont forget Centurion now has an owners site where you could get some great info.

Good luck in your search.

www.centurioncrew.com
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-26-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
my top 3..24enzo,236nauti,x45
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-26-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
anyone surfed the MB B52V23. I was out on a demo on it and saw the wave with two people only and stock ballast and it looked pretty good on the dark side. But, I don't frequent the surfing thread so I'm not an expert!
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-26-2008, 9:18 PM Reply   
My main concern with the Enzo's i have seen is that they are very one sided if you get the switchblade option. The reverse rotation option with the switchblade will give you a great goofy side wake. The regular side wake is horrible at best with the switchblade. In talking to owner of the reverse rotation boat, he claims that if you take the blade off the regularside wake is good. I know that the folks at Inland Surfer do not use the switchblade on their regular boat but rarely if ever ride the goofy side.
Old     (nautiquelove)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-27-2008, 6:03 AM Reply   
220 super air nautique. i love it. :P
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-27-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
I get to try out a lot of different boats for Skiers Choice because of my promo. I like the Moomba XLV. It Has the ability to swap out the standard 1450 lb system to 1150 front w/1150 on either side real easy.

The engine upgrade to 340 CAT is one of the best thing to ever happen for my crew. No one every complains about the exhaust fumes. I am totally sold on the CAT.
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-27-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
OIB, I have the 220V which is the B52 hull, 22 foot. In my opinion, which is as a total consumer, it has a very good stock wakesurf wake. It only got better when I added weight. I want to make my wave longer, which I was able to with some nose weight. I need to try a higher speed I think. The wake is the same on both side as well.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-27-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
Chris, I keep hearing good stuff about the old, pre '04?, 22ft Supra. It would be cool to see SC bring out a surf edition boat, maybe the old hull?
Old     (bentone)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-27-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
this is goofy side on a tige 24 ve, I think any boat will produce a nice wave if weighted properly.Upload
Old     (k_poulsen)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-28-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I went out with M and M watersports the Centurion dealer here on a right hand rotation Enzo 23. The goofy wave was amazing. My son was able to do 360's and almost rode away a 720. He said he has not been able to even come close on any other boat. I know he goes all the time with friends but I am not sure on the different boat models he has ridden, he told me to buy it but you know how kids are. My other son is our only regular footer and the guys showed me how to weight the boat with a switchblade to make the wake on the regular side as good as any I have seen. If anyone is interested I can pass that information on. They weighted the regular and goofy sides totally different. We are going out on MC X-45 over the weekend with a friend that has one and is trying to talk me into one. I am looking forward to checking it out, weather permitting.
Old     (tarpongator)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-28-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
We have surfed maybe 25 times on my '06 SAN 220...that is the total experience level for the people surfing. The weight is stock rear tank full (approx 300 lbs.)and three people in the boat most of the time. Both myself and my brother-in-law can surf without the rope. Given the lack of experience (and skill) and the lack of weight, plus the 220's rep for a solid surf wake...I would throw the SAN 220 out there. In addition, I am relatively new to wake boarding and ride regular but took up goofy for surfing because the wake is better on that side. Point being the SAN 220 produces a good enough wake that a newbie can enjoy it a short amount of time...with really no weight and riding opposite foot of wakebaording. I will add I have never surfed another boat so take my opinion for what it is worth.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-30-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
How and where did you get out this weekend in Utah!!?? I live here and am still frickin' freezing from all the snow this year. It snowed 3 inches on the lawn today as well. I've been wanting to test drive some boats but thought that most things were still frozen or too cold.
Old     (new_surfer)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-01-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
I HAVE RODE BEHIND MANY BOATS AND IT SEEMS THE CENTURION IS THE BETTER OF MOST. I DON'T REMEMBER WHAT THE BIG ONE IS CALLED IT IS LIKE 23' IN LENGTH. THOUGH. REALLY BIG AND LONG WAKE.
Old     (k_poulsen)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-04-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input everyone. As far as where we went in Utah. Utah lake is open and last saturday it was 48 degrees on the water temp. Wear your drysuit, my oldest son rode in a wetsuit, I have decided he is not the brightest boy because he has a drysuit. Now to the boats. I tried my friends X45 and as I told him the goofy wake was not so good. I had very difficult time just keeping the wave and my son who is pretty good (by our standards) struggled to do anything. So that boat is out, I was really not very impressed. I have another friend that has a Nautique that he said turns right handed and has a good goofy wave, but I have heard nothing about nautiques for surfing. I know in the slalom world where I come from they are great boats. Anyone have any experience with a nautique. I doubt I would buy one they seemed small and have very little storage when I looked at the boat show. Add to that the dealer here just changed and to be honest the new guy is pretty much a jerk. But I may be able to get a used one or go to another dealer. I wouldn't mind taking a look if anyone thinks they are worth looking at but I think that my mind is made up on a Centurion Enzo. I have called several of the guys that own them from a list the dealer gave me and they all seem to love them. Not a big suprise as the dealer gave me the list, but they had some awesome advice and gave some of the pros and cons. Once again thanks for the input, it haas been great having input from people that have experience.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-04-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
The first boat I surfed on was a 06 Nautique 226 at Utah Lake. As I remember, the "darkside" surf wake was quite good but it was late in the year and the lake depths were barely adequate to truely test the wake. My buddy (his nautique) rode goofy and I rode regular. The regular side was not as good but decent. We were just using stock ballast at the time with a handful of friends. Nautique makes a great boat but I personally don't like the styling. Also with the dealers getting swapped this year here in Utah I'm not sure I would go that route. I found out the hard way that the dealer is just as important as the boat. I'm with you that the Enzo is the way to go for surfing. I'd get one if I didn't like to slalom sometimes too. Good Luck!
Old     (nwrider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-04-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
I am the head coach at a wakeboard school, now all we teach is surfing. We have been using centurions for 6 years. We had an elite 21, ok wave. Then a 23 enzo in 2004, 900hrs on it now, this past year we opted into a 24 enzo 400hrs now. We run two 450 sacs one on each side, Switchblade set on 7, the tallest wave setting and drive around 8-10 mph probally 4-6 people in the boat. It is the best wake ever. If you ride the starboard side--goofy. We drain the port side ballast and its a pretty good wave, long tall and rad!! heres a photo front side.Upload
Upload teach goofy to ride back side!!!!

(Message edited by nwrider on April 04, 2008)
Old     (k_poulsen)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-06-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
Well I did it. I pulled the trigger on a new Centurion Enzo 240. I even got the world wakesurf edition. The boat I ordered pretty much has everything on it. Sideswipe, all the tunes, switchblade, 1600 lbs of ballast, GPS cruise, billet accents everywhere, custom trailer with 20's on it, surf right nad a bad boy 8.1L motor. I can't wait. Here is a link to a picture of a similar boat that M&M Watersports had at the boat show this year.

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1545

Mine will be blue where this one is red. I chose it because there are only like four other boats total with this graphic on them right now and this is the only dealer in the country that you can get one from for 2008, I guess they designed it from what they said. Mitch, Adam and all the crew at M&M Watersports thank you and hurry up and get my boat here!!!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-06-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
Congrats! What did that run, $10,000, $20,000:-)
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-06-2008, 10:23 PM Reply   
i love my nautie 05 211...throws a great surfwake for a 21' boat..