Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-10-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
I ran dry on Malco plastic & leather cleaner so I ran to West Marine and picked up some Amazing Roll Off.

I must say it works just as well as Malco. I tried it on my buddies Xstar whose cover was off the entire winter, completely filthy. It cleaned vinyl sparkling clean and left the stiching as white as new.

If you cant get Malco locally this is just as good in my opinion...

Last edited by factorykitted; 03-10-2011 at 1:00 PM.
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       03-10-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
Im sold on Malco, Showroom shine is just as good as Boat Bright same stuff inside and I pay half the price for a gallon. I have a shop here in Santa Clara that carries the whole line of Malco
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-10-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
im sold on Malco as well just saying i saw the same results with ARO
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-10-2011, 1:34 PM Reply   
The fact you can buy it at West Marine is great. That means I can pick it up on the way to the lake!!!!
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-10-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
It won't disappoint!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-10-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
I have said this before and converted many people to it. If you like Malco try "Totally Awesome" from the dollar store. Clear frosted bottle with red writing on it and yellow liquid in it. I am convinced it is the same product as Malco, just resold under another name. If it is not the same it is the same cleaning agent cause they even smell the same. I have detailed many nasty nasty boats that sat out in the rain, snow and dirt and it will make your vinyl look perfect. Spray it on, use a bristle brush and wipe it off.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-10-2011, 4:00 PM Reply   
Alkyphenol Ethoxylate is the active ingredient in Malco leather and vinyl cleaner. If a cleaner has that in it it is essentially the same.
I've mentioned it before but it is a banned product in most of the world as when it breaks down part of it becomes a mutagen for aquatic life. Just don't use it in the lake or on the ramp.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-10-2011, 5:14 PM Reply   
LOL Diggs, I was at the dollar store yesterday (somehow dropped $55) and saw the Totally Awesome cleaner you are talking about. I wasn't sure which one you have been hearalding but I did land on the same one. I didn't pick any up since I have so much Malco but maybe in the future. I did get some Totally Awesome CLR that worked great though, it blows my mind that it can be a buck.

Brian, how much was the ARO relative to Malco?

Jason, I use the showroom shine too, its the shizz whether on my boat or car.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-10-2011, 9:41 PM Reply   
Hate - i think ARO is priced about the same as Malco - 32oz around $9-$12 and 1 gallon around $25
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-11-2011, 6:20 PM Reply   
Totally Awesome is one heck of a cleaner!
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-13-2011, 7:30 AM Reply   
Okay, is this "The Dollar Store" or some other dollar store?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       03-13-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi View Post
Okay, is this "The Dollar Store" or some other dollar store?
Pretty much all of them carry it. Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Family Dollar, etc.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-13-2011, 1:05 PM Reply   
I should have pulled my boat out of storage before I commented.

What was clean white vinyl is now cover in small black spots and a few random yellow and brown stains. Totally Awesome will not touch it. Is it worth ordering the Malco? Any other cleaning suggestions?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-13-2011, 7:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter660 View Post
I should have pulled my boat out of storage before I commented.

What was clean white vinyl is now cover in small black spots and a few random yellow and brown stains. Totally Awesome will not touch it. Is it worth ordering the Malco? Any other cleaning suggestions?
aren't those spots the "spider poop" stories/explanation i have heard about in past?
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-14-2011, 5:11 AM Reply   
Yes, some it it could be "spider poop" I need to search for some info on that. I remember reading about it in the past.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-14-2011, 6:16 AM Reply   
Dude! Don't be lettin those spiders defecate on your ride!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-14-2011, 6:25 AM Reply   
This sounds like mold maybe and your spider poop. Did the boat get air through it while it was in storage or was it sealed tight with a cover? I can tell you if Totally Awesome will not get it out, neither will Malco. Try a Magic Eraser next with "totally awesome". If that does not work you will probably have to get it out in the sun and bleach it.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-14-2011, 7:01 AM Reply   
The seats were cleaned at the end of the season and stored in the open air of my basement. I did have some remodeling going on so there is no tell what could have gotten on them. Guess my best bet it hope it fades in the sun or recover them.
Old    mojo            03-18-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
What ratio do y'all use? I tried 10:1 and it seems to diluted.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       03-18-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
I use about 50/50 of Totally Awesome in the actual bottle but I spray down the cushion I'm working on with the hose before and after
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-18-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
I don't dilute it at all. After I am done I wipe them down with water.