Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (malibu_guy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-14-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
Went out yesterday on Folsom with unusually good water, but my driver kept crossing back into our own wake. After I'm already frustrated he managed to put the nose of the boat into the wake and soak the bow (my biggest pet peeve). How do you teach a guy to tow correctly?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
Funny that you ask. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/725891.html?1250264542 was started today by someone.

IMO, you need to sit with them while he is driving and explain what he needs to do. If your buddy is a true friend, he will listen to you and take the constructive criticism. $.02
Old     (malibu_guy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-14-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
You're in Sac? Hell we need to put a rotation together? My friends are great, but are out for different reasons. There's a time to hang out and a time to get your ride on. Let me know if you ever want to ride? We normally rotate between my VLX, a Tige, and an X Star (until he tore his rotator cup)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-14-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
Its a combination of things Micah. The first step is simply talking with the driver and establishing if they really want to get better at driving (if they will listen, take instruction etc. or just dont care). I have met some people who say "Yah, teach me" but they dont have the discipline to pay attention to their driving enough to learn.

After that it takes time, patience and positive reinforcement. Establishing some extra signals from rider to the driver really helps as well. Giving the driver signals for paths to take, etc.

Another thing I have seen done for a new driver is to take away the rear view mirror and let the spotter call the rider down. This forces all of the drivers attention on driving.

I also have a pet peeve of drivers fiddling with music while they drive, trailing off to one side. Try and get the spotter to run the music if possible.

Aside from that, positive reinforcement is best! If you have a crappy set but the driver pulled you well you better smile and say "killer pull man!". I have had situations where they made 4 or 5 mistakes but did one thing correctly. All I said when I got in the boat was something along the lines of "hey, way to line up away from those rollers and give me a good line, that was perfect". Once the driver realizes what a huge difference it makes they will be pulling like a champ.

Also, getting the driver to watch you pull someone while you explain what your doing and more importantly WHY your doing something is helpful. Then turning around and letting them drive while you spot and instruct them helps too. Make sure you give a REASON for everything that is done so they dont think you are just being anal.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
I will do that and yes, my local lake is folsom also. Boy does it suck on weekends with all those people that don't usually drive. Lately we have been over near Dyke 8 near the dam on Saturday morning. It's been good water as of late but the water is draining so fast, the middle of folsom lake might be the best riding in a few more weeks.
Old     (malibu_guy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-14-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
Thanks M. I'll try these suggestions
Old     (malibu_guy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-14-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
David,
I hear you on the weekend. Before 10 am is normally OK, but the lake level is getting bad! We will be out on Sunday morning if your interested?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
I wish but again, I don't wish. Heading to Reno this weekend and then next weekend on Saturday is already booked.
Old     (malibu_guy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-14-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
No problem! Let me know if you can ride during the week?
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-14-2009, 6:40 PM Reply   
i was planning on going out sat and sun...with a friend but would love to get behind another boat
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-15-2009, 7:15 AM Reply   
FYI

USA Wakeboard and WWA used a great driving course that Shannon developed. Take it on line at www.idrive.com

This is a class that all should take, from the newbie to even the most seasoned dirver
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-15-2009, 11:30 PM Reply   
A good driver makes a great day!

I find some people get it. Others don't.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       08-17-2009, 12:17 AM Reply   
Chris,

That wasn't the correct site that you linked to. Try again?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-17-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
http://www.idriveboats.com/

There are certain discount codes depending on your association membership.
Old     (malibu_guy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-17-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Leo, Sorry I just got yourpost today. Hit me up this week and we'll see if we can work something out.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-17-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
I'm glad this came up. I wish more people would learn how to drive. It's like amateur hour on my lake these days. Saturday was a trainwreck. I could'nt get a good pull and the other wakeboats that were out wouldn't give any respect to other boats. Then there were the tubers

I'm about to just put the boat up for the year. This season has been the worst one by far. I don't look forward to being on our lake anymore.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-20-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
You tend to appreciate a good driver after having a bad one for sure.

I look forward to getting out with the guys and other boat owners who know how to drive during the week. Weekends with the family I tend to just pass on pulls unless the water is great. I do give credit to my wife who was never on a boat before last year. She drives terrible but every week does better and tries to remember what sucked the last time out. I think wanting to learn to drive is the key, and work on one problem at a time---like driving straight...
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-20-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
A-dub, thanks for the link to idrive. I've got to check that out. Looks like it might cost some money though. Anybody know if it is worth it? I'm a decent driver already, but am open to learning more.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-20-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
I'd say, sucks having a suck ars driver. I been very fortunate to have a good courteous driver. what can I say I trained her
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-20-2009, 10:12 PM Reply   
No worry Miach, i just went out tonight at folsom, let me know when you go out
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-20-2009, 10:57 PM Reply   
Folsom zoo.....
Old     (malibu_guy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-21-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
Leo, I don't know if I can get out this weekend, but the wife and kid are gone next weekend. Lets work something out for then?
Codi- you can come too. We'll tow you past the lions and bears cage
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-21-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
Les, I really don't know. I will probably do it at some point. If you feel that people should be required to get a license for boating, then I would take it and be very vocal that you did and have it. I also think it helps with insurance, promoting good boating, and shows that competitive/recreational watersports enthusiasts care about the safety of their waterways and the education of others.
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-21-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
Sounds good to me... i am gonna hit the zoo sat morning... I don't have the little one this weekend