Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (aaronwhitt82)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-15-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
Hey guys I found this tower mirror on Ebay. Price is right and it looks good.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=140184579362&Category= 23807&_trksid=p3907.m29
Wondering if any of you have this installed on your boat. Looking for some feedback on quality.
Thanks!
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-15-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
I've heard that particular mirror has to be tweaked a little to keep it tight so it doesn't move around . . . there was a thread on it a couple months back and the guy had drilled it and put a set screw in it to keep it tight . . . I'd go with a fixed arm but that's just my .02

(Message edited by lovin_the_wake on February 15, 2008)
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-15-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
If you're willing to make some modifications to this mirror arm then it's a decent arm. I have one and it will move on you unless you take some steps to keep it from doing so. There are two issues with it.

The first issue is with the straight long tubuler part that the mirror actually attaches to. This part screws into the other part of the bracket. Since in "screws" into the other bracket, each time a different driver needs to adjust the mirror the long tube part will unscrew while doing so. To remedy this you will need to add some Loc-Tite or something similar to keep the tube from unscrewing.

The second issue is with the joint where the bracket pivits. The surface of these parts are smooth and held together by a bolt. No matter how tight you get the bolt the brackets will slide on each other when crossing back over your wake or over large waves. To remedy this you can add some thin rubber in-between the parts to keep them from sliding. Some JB Weld will work as well.

In addition to this mirror arm I also have a Monster Tower mirror arm. It's a little more money than this one, but it is absolutely solid right out of the box. Personally I would spend the extra cash and get the Monster Tower one.

My .02
Old     (aaronwhitt82)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-15-2008, 7:01 PM Reply   
Thanks guys I appreciate the replies. I think I'll be better off just getting a fixed arm. Probably will go with the DIY wake one for $100.....
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-15-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
I have one and it works really well... haven't had a single prob. yet... we got our board racks from the same company.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-16-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
I bought a tower and 2 racks from DIYWake and so far I've had no complaints they sell good quality stuff at good prices and they have good customer service
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-16-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
Ditto on the last two comments: the only thing is you have to take the mirrior portion off the elbow when trailering because the road vibration/wind will work the holding wing nut loose and mirror will drop to floor. Other then that, on the water its good. great visibility, no mirror movement, good price!