Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-06-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
Very similar to this thread, but I'm looking $5K cheaper.

This will be my first boat and I'm looking for the best value for $45K out the door. I don't need anything right away, but if the price is right, I could pick it up now or wait until the February boat show. I'm in Las Vegas and the boat will be spending 90% of its time at Lake Mead. The Tige, Mastercraft, Moomba and Malibu dealers are all located conveniently nearby. The new models that I'm looking at are 20V, X1, LSV and VRide. The basic options that I'm looking for (I'm probably missing something) are: boat cover, fiberglass swim deck, tower and board racks (don't really need a stereo or ballast system yet).

I tested the LSV yesterday and it was pretty nice, but I would like to factor in resale in to the total "value" that I'll be getting. I was supposed to take the 20V out today, but the weather wasn't cooperating.

I'm open to used boats, but I'm a bit weary of running into maintenance issues.

What do you think I should do? Buy used? Buy new? Wait until the boat show? I've been lurking and reading some of the +'s and -'s of the different manufacturers and since I am not an owner I don't have any ownership goggles one way or the other yet.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-06-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
X1, demo and and you will know why.
"don't really need a stereo or ballast system yet"
Is this primarily for wakeboarding or family boating???
Old     (pf728)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-06-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^

what he said
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-06-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
You should get the ballast system, even a bare bones one. Not that you can't add it later but it will be easier if you start with one. You may not need it now but eventually you will want it.

I would look at the V-ride & X1 hard. Great boats with incredible quality. I settled on a VLX but haven't pulled the triger yet.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-06-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
The MC dealer won't demo, every one else will so they're kinda putting themselves out of the picture. That and they want $2K more for the double axle trailer. The all viper red 2006 X1 they have out back is almost making me pull the trigger without a test ride though.

No stereo, because I can do better, no reason to pay for something that's going to collect dust.

Ballast, if it comes stock like the X1, I'm down, otherwise, I'll probably add in a year. First time boat buyer, first time wakeboarder (going this weekend on a friends boat, weather permitting) so it's not an absolute necessity for me right now. Like I said, if it has it, then my more experienced rider friends will be getting a huge bonus.

I do appreciate the input and reading all the PMs, this site is great.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-06-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
Look at one year old boats...you'll normally pay 15-20% less than retail for that year. As far as maint. issues liek anything mechanical the majority of what will go wrong will happen within the first year, and nowadasy most boat warranties are close to 3 years. On top of that 99% of people who can afford a 50-60k luxury item knwo how ot take care of it or pay someone to do it.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-06-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
Wait for the boat show!! I know at the LA boat show deals were flying . I got a written quote for a 2006 Moomba XLV Loaded with all options except the stereo for $44K including tax and dealer prep. That was the out the door price. MSRP is $44 with no options.. On their website with all the options I was getting it booked out at $54K.

You have all the power at the shows and $45 will go a long way .
On the other hand, some dealers who have left over stock like to blow it out from now until there gone, so there are deals to be had now as well.
I would personally buy a good used boat . There is a guy selling a 2005 VLX with 3 years left on the warrantee with most options and 60 hours for $42K in the boat classifieds. That is an absolute steal. You can buy that boat now and resell it in march for $46K + if you wanted to. That guy rpobably paid well over $55 K for that boat when he bought it 1 year ago. Let someone else take the depreciation. But if you are dead set on a new one you have a lot of options from here until the boat shows.
Good Luck
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
As an 04 X2 owner I'll amen looking at the X1(old X2/X-Star/205V) real hard. A V-Ride(old VLX)is sweet also, your on the right track. I could have easily bought the V-Ride and been happy. I just decided on buying used and the V-Ride with an Illusion tower was exceedingly rare in the used market when I was shopping for a boat.

But........

My big concern if I were in your shoes is boating on Lake Mead. A larger boat might be a better option since that lake must get mighty rough at times.

I would strongly consider a well cared for used 22 footer that will fit your price range. I can attest to the good rough water qualities of the Tige's (for an inboard). I'm sure someone can comment about the good rough water qualities of Centurions since I've only heard that they are good in this area (never been in one).

I share your concern about buying used, but with your price range and some patience you can hit a home run in the used market. Additionally, a year old boat will still have a warranty available. I bought my boat when it was a year old and paid to have the warranty transferred to me.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-06-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
I would scrap the x1 if they won't demo. Dealers can make or break your boating experience. The v-ride is the old VLX hull, so you know it's proven to have a good wake.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-06-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
Lucky, great point. The MC dealer just opened this brand new location that is gorgeous and has a pool in the service area that most don't. Everyone there is really nice, but they just don't demo, they said they do 30 day money back after purchase. I almost want to try that just for fun and return it so they change their minds on demos.

How old of a VLX hull is a v-ride? Is the 2005 VLX for sale the same hull as a new v-ride?
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
The 2004 VLX is the V-Ride hull. The 05 VLX hull is new and is 21.5 ft long with a 96 or 98 inch beam.
The V-Ride is shorter with about a 93 inch beam.

Oh and if the MC dealer will not demo, walk away.

(Message edited by ronskal on September 06, 2006)
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-06-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
Get a loaded Mobius LSV. By far the best boat for the money. $45k out the door shouldn't be a problem with just about any options you want. Resale will not be a problem.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-06-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
'04 is the old style and the 05 should be the newer hull with the wider beam. That looks like a really nice ride and 62 Hrs is nothing. Is that boat close to you? If so, its definately worth a look.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/231556.html?1117659456
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-06-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
closer then everything else, just a 20 hour drive there and back .
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-06-2006, 8:16 PM Reply   
Supra 21V or Sanger V215 would be my picks in that price range.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-06-2006, 8:17 PM Reply   
The MC dealer won't demo???? Don't walk, but run. That sounds like the same sort of service you would get after the sale. Must be more concerned with appearances than service. There is a pool in the showroom? Very strange indeed.

I bought my boat in Vegas from Matt at Boats of Nevada. I think that you need to consider the dealer in all of this. The Tige dealer will take the best care of you.

Demo the boats and let us know which dealer treats you the best. Sometimes you can't predict what the weather will do at Mead, so you really need the boat that will handle the rough water the best.

I agree with what has been said about not being afraid to get a boat that is 1-2 years old and well cared for. I am not sure that you might get 15-20% off of a new boat like Adam quotes, but you will definitely be able to get closer to your price range. If you can pay 51K for an 05 24V, come to St. George and I'll give you a test drive. PM me if interested.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-06-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
talltigeguy, the MC pool is in the service center for testing motors in water. "...a full drop tank to test boats under load to build efficiency and eliminate trips to the lake."

Tom at Boats of Nevada is the one I'm supposed to meet with for the 20V demo, seem like great guys.
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-07-2006, 12:03 AM Reply   
Supra 21V
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-07-2006, 4:50 AM Reply   
You will want a ballast system in less than one year. Just my opinion, but I think you will find yourself kicking yourself within a couple months if you spend 45k and do not get a ballast system initially.

I also live in the Vegas area and have heard nothing but good things about Boats of Nevada. I also stopped in at the Malibu dealership and the guys there treated us nicely as well. For me, the unpredicatble nature of Lake Mead is leading me to get a bigger boat. I know lots of people have 20 foot boats on Mead and do just fine. For me, a bigger boat just feels better on Mead. I found a 2004 Malibu 23 LSV with illusion X tower, 100 hours, MLS ballast system, wedge, cover, tandem trailer with torsion axles and disc brakes. Only thing missing is Perfect Pass. It looks brand new. I am getting it for 42k, and I am going to pick it up this weekend. The only downside is I have to drive to Kansas City to pick it up. Worth it to me for the right boat. I know of another one for sale almost identical in Tennessee for about the same price, and owner was willing to meet in Oklahoma. New boats are great, but when you can find an almost new one for such a price savings, I prefer to go this route.

(Message edited by atropine on September 07, 2006)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
Look at a Session. Comes fully equipped with everything you need, and is family friendly.
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-07-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
Vride or X1
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-07-2006, 7:55 AM Reply   
Sorry Evilone,

I was envisioning a waterfall and maybe some goldfish in the lobby of the mastercraft dealer.

I would still be very weary of the no test drive policy...Maybe they don't think you are serious? I suppose they don't want to work to get a sale.

Tom is a great guy to work with. Matt is the owner.

The Tige factory ballast takes up a lot of storage because they use hard tanks. One of the best features of the Tige is enormous storage, and I wouldn't compromise that. I installed the Rival system and am very pleased with it. It uses soft sacks and I am able to get more weight than what the stock Tige system gives. It is not that difficult to install once you get the balls to drill a hole in the boat. You could easily wait for now and if you grow into wanting one, fine. With my 24V, I have had guys doing complex inverts and 540's off of the stock wake with no problem. The majority of people will never accomplish those tricks.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-07-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
Get a hold of the MC rep for your area and let him know that you want to test drive an X-1. Let the factory know that your local dealer's policy on a demo is. I have never heard of a dealer that does not demo. Here in FLorida, they would be out of business FAST....BTW, the X-1 will be the best boat for the money now, but I would recommend that if you can, wait until the boat show is in your area.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-07-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
talltigeguy, I thought it might be them thinking I wasn't serious either, but I brought in my loan pre-approval from USAA, that's about as serious as I can get.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-07-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
44,655 fits but you cant have it until Sunday
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/3/85418673.htm
Old     (johndoe30o)      Join Date: May 2006       09-07-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
moomba outback v you can get it loaded to
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-07-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
All good recommendations, but look into the Moomba XLV too. IMO it's the best value on the market. It's also the biggest boat for the money, but sacrifices nothing wakewise to the 21 footers.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-07-2006, 9:19 PM Reply   
My local MC dealer also stated they don't demo boats... I gave them my credit card number, they charged a refundable $1000 to it and they took me out for a demo. Ask them if they will do the same for you. If they don't, tell them to piss off and send the store manager the link to this thread!!!
I would also post on here to see if you can get the MC rep's contact info for your area.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-07-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
This would be my choice for 45k
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/366065.html?1157578442
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-07-2006, 10:03 PM Reply   
I was in the same boat as you, pardon the pun. I looked at all of the boats mentioned and more (Nautiques, Centurions, Supras, MBs,...) and it came down to X-1/X-2 or V-Ride. I can save you a lot of time and tell you to get one of those two - whichever you can get with more options for the better price at the time. Both boats are fantastic. Or you could do what I did and shop for boats for months and come to the same conclusion.

For me it finally came down to the V-Ride because I got more options (Malibu digital cruise control and tandem trailer) and did it with a custom order with custom gelcoat, vinyl, and graphics for less than I could get on the X-1 or X-2 that was on the lot and not custom to my wants. Later in the year the pricing actually reversed and the stock V-Rides on the dealer lot were more expensive than a custom ordered X-1. So check them both out carefully and list out every option (including cover, racks, taxes, dealer prep fee garbage, etc.) to see which comes out ahead.

And you are right to not want a factory stereo. I did mine custom at a local shop recommended by the dealer and it kills the factory stereo and looks even more stock than stock. If you can get a great deal on a boat on the lot and it has a stereo, then maybe you pick it up anyways or tell them to rip out the stereo or give you a better price.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-07-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
Actually, I have an update on MC. The salesman actually called me back today. He asked when he could wrap the boat up and I said I had counted them out since I couldn't demo it. In response, he said that I must have misunderstood him, he meant they don't have any more demo days with multiple boats out at once. He told me to come in and make sure we're in the right ballpark for finances and we can take it out for a spin after work on Monday. This salesman is new and I'm willing to cut him some slack, so I'm going to give him a chance (Viper Red is hard to resist). So, on the way to the lake Saturday (Echo Bay if anyone's going) I'll go in and talk money so that I can give it a spin Monday. Tige is meeting me Tuesday and I'm going to see if the Bu dealer has a VRide to demo Wednesday all weather permitting.

trace, I thought the XLV would be too much, that's why I was looking at the LSV and not looking at any of the Supras.

Tyler, I am looking into that Malibu as well as what sounds to be a very nice Viper Red X1 in Utah.

JPK, thanks for the info. If a boat has a stereo I will still consider it if it comes in at the right price, I'm saying it's the least of my concerns compared to a bimini and boat cover.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-08-2006, 4:44 AM Reply   
A used one. You can get any 4-5 year old boat for way less than $45k. With the season coming to an end the market should be great.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-08-2006, 5:58 AM Reply   
David
Having been in your shoes last year, the one thing I want you to remember is how well does the dealership take care of the customers AFTER the sale.
Both the X1 and the V are comparable , I own a V because the hull imo is a better wak making machine. BOTH boats are great but I felt that my dealer was more interested in keeping me happy 15 years down the road.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-08-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
Last I saw which was over a year ago, the XLV started just below $40k.

I agree with not buying from a dealer that won't demo, regardless of how many rave reviews you read on his boat. It's been said a thousand times, but I'll say it again... Every boat you're considering is built very well, and better for our uses than 99% of all other boats. You won't be disappointed with any of them, but you can be extremely disappointed in your dealer.

I also agree with looking at the used market; $45k will get you a LOT there.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-08-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
I think for 45k you will get the "most" boat out of a 21v.

Its bigger and better equipped at that price that most boats.

If you can jump up to the 5's a loaded x1 will rock your socks too.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-08-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
Come over to Muncie IN for the NWL Nationals on Sunday and I ll let you demo that 2006 Supra 21V.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-08-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
While I did go to school at IU, I think Muncie may be just a little too far away from me now but I appreciate the offer.
Old    ausbill32            09-08-2006, 2:40 PM Reply   
I've got an 2006 21v black/white fully loaded and a 3 year transferrable warranty I'm willing to let go for 44k. Two amps, 4 tower speakers, perfect pass the works. Got a few scratches in the rear but saves you at least 6-7k. It's got 100hrs on it.
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-09-2006, 12:12 AM Reply   
I just bought my 2004 Supra Launch 22SSV Low hours w/ tandem boatmate trailer, 3 bag ballast, speakers, amp, etc... for less than $35KUpload
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-09-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
X1 no question. Better quality, better resale and awesome wake.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-09-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
Bro, check out the Session. They roll a wake as good as anything you listed. Quality wise, matches up to most, and isn't budget. Driving wise, one of the best out there. Finding a dealer maybe tough though
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-09-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
Erick, thanks for rubbing it in .
Old     (bensk8in)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-09-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
I my opinion the X-1 is a stripped down boat, if the old X-2 is the new X-1, how did they pull 16K or whatever the difference is, they stripped it down. Also my opinion of the V-Ride is a stripped down boat, the flooring is constructed of L brackets. The 20V is going to be a little smaller in length, but I believe it is the heaviest, and most Tige dealers do not use ballast in the boats, the taps will dramatically change the SHAPE of the wake, and give it alittle more size.
Any dealer that wont demo you is garbage in my opinion also, if you drop a credit app, or a REFUNDABLE deposit, you are obviously a real buyer, would you buy a car without driving it or turning it on, probably not. I wouldnt buy a car from a dealer without a service center, and especially not a boat. Find the guys that are going to take care of you after the sale. If they dont have a good service center, i'd beware. And one more of my opinions, the 20V will be your best handling boat that offers every option you are looking for.
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-09-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
went by the Tige dealer today and they were thrown 06 20V's $39900 loaded with swing racks and all. 07's for $40900 same set up
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-09-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
X1 in my book too. Great wake and it's a Mastercraft, so you know the quality is good. Don't buy a Tige 20V.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-09-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
At the price that Leo noted, the Tige is a nice deal. Not my first choice, but hard to beat if you are getting fully loaded
Old    funkcity            09-09-2006, 9:46 PM Reply   
Boating on lake Mead with an inboard? be it VDrive or DD..

Mead is a monster Lake with up to huge winds.
I have rescued folks from there before.

With our old Hallett stern drive I had to remove the Bennett trim tabs to keep the bow high enough while plowing through huge Mead waves!

But.... you can't trim out an inboard.

And yes unsinkable bass boats sink there too.

If you gotta do it, get an extra bilge pump... you'll need it.
Old     (wiscoepic)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-10-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
If you can wait till January you can get the new Epic 21 footer. It will be a little bit more money but you do get a ton of stuff standard on it.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-10-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
Ben says,I my opinion the X-1 is a stripped down boat, if the old X-2 is the new X-1, how did they pull 16K or whatever the difference is, they stripped it down.
The truth is, it is the same boat. The X1 has a plastic dash and plastic shifter knob. Thats the only cheaper items. The X1 has a nationally advertised price of $39999, 2006- $42900-2007 that is supported by the factory. The same with autos you may pay one price this month and next month see a $5000 rebate.Still the same car. The X1 still has the same MSRP as the former X2, its just discounted. Go to NADA.COM and look up 2 yr old boats. The Tige and Moomba are lets just say one hell of a deal used.}
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-10-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
Went out today on my buddies Sea Ray and went wake boarding for the first time and had a blast. It reassured me that I really want a tournament boat. We'll see how this weeks demos go.

Mike, can you give some input into why you don't like the 20V? A lot of people on here seem to like them and their after service they provide here in Las Vegas.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-10-2006, 9:55 PM Reply   
david

i can tell you that SERVICE will be the biggest issue and biggest reason to buy that boat in LV

as you stated, MC here in vegas has never had a good reputation of being good to their customers and it just goes to show you that their "no demo" comment is more proof of their customer service.

the malibu dealership has turned out to be a decent dealership after originally they didnt give us the time of day when we looked 2.5 years ago. plus a new and improved shop.

tige, they are the only ones that would even think about touching my boat "Supreme" and are all in all good people. a 20v i think is too small, i have personally been in 06 22v's and an 04 24v. their wakes are decent but kinda soft but when we put in 2 fat sacs on the 22v it was perfect. they handle the chop on mead quite well.

the only other problem i see if you buy something like a supra or moomba,b52 is the service aspect of it. there are no Reps in our area since no one is selling them. i do know that malibu will service MC's.

again, find a dealer that will be with you when you are out on the lake and have a question on PP and you can call them up and ask on a sunday even tho they arent open, or someone that frequents the boards and is in the wakeboard community in vegas

peace
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-10-2006, 10:16 PM Reply   
jonny, Boulder Boats is now a Supra/Moomba dealer, they seem like nice guys. They said their name should appear on Skier's Choice website next month. They have a 2007 Gravity Games and a 2007 LSV in stock right now.

Malibu doesn't have anything in stock within my price range, but he also seemed like a nice guy after he got done helping the other customers checking out Sea Doos and ATVs. That used one in San Fran looks like a great deal.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-10-2006, 11:12 PM Reply   
wow...no idea they started carrying that line

kinda like Cals Boat & Rv had Correct Craft but failed to advertise and no one knew about it
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-11-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
Midwesty,

It is funny that I had the exact same experience with the Mailibu dealer 3 years ago at the boat show. They just seemed disinterested in making a sale. This last February, the same guy was eager to talk and friendly. So, hopefully things are looking better for them.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-11-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
Here is a little experience i Had with the MC dealer in LV/Henderson a few weeks back. They were moving thier shop to the new building but when I talked to them the week previous they said they would be open on So and so date. So I had to go to Vegas for the weekend so I dropped by on a saturday ( 1 week after they said they would be open for business at the new store). They had a Used Malibu VLX and a Supra SSV That they were advertising on Boat Trader so i called on the Wednsday before I was coming out to make sure they still had them for sale and if they would be open on Saturday for a Look.
They said no problem come on by. So I did. about 12 noon I show up and the place is not open ( im a little pissed but it is understandable with new construction) but all the used boat are outside on their lot so I figure they can a least show me those. So I finally track down a nice young lady who worked their and asked if I could see the specific boats reference above. She said they were closed but she would go get a salesman anyway, I said thanks that would be great and off she went. About 10 minutes later she returns and says" The salesman told me that both of those boats are already sold" I told her that I called on Wed and they were still available and I asked to talk to a salesman and she said hold on.

Back in forth for 30 minutes. The salesman never came out to talk to me and just had this poor girl running back and forth and Im starting to get really pissed.
Long story short.
I left with not being able to talk to the salesman. I called on Monday Morning to talk to a salesman about the 2 boats in question he said they were both still available and to come down a take a look. I basically told him to go fly a kite and told him what went on that prior weekend. He said he was sorry , it was not him, BLAH BLAH BLAH.......

That shows their level of customer service!!
Old     (bensk8in)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-11-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
Well Billy, as you said-The truth is, it is the same boat. The X1 has a plastic dash and plastic shifter knob. Thats the only cheaper items. The X1 has a nationally advertised price of $39999,

If I remember correctly, the advertisement said, 39999, and in the fine print, it said "on a single axle trailer, boardracks not included, price as shown comes with a carbed 310hp motor, also, I was under the impression that it was a cheaper upholstery. Now if they only cheaped out on the dash and the knob, that means they have been making a truck load of money on each mastercraft sale, they cut more corners than that I gaurantee it.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-11-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
I just bought our 2006 Mastercraft X-1 loaded up for about $45k Canadian out the door!

It is a dealer demo and had some nice aggressive pricing, retail new would be about $53k plus fees and taxes on the boat.
(no trailer) about $4500 extra

[img]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/newboat.jpg[img]
Old     (pf728)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-12-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
The 310 hp for MasterCraft is fuel injected. And the upholstery they use on the X1 is the same grade they use on any of their other boats.

Also, I could not tell a diffrence in power with the 310 hp and the 350 hp mcx on the x1. Rode on both with the same amount of weight (2000lb of ballast plus 6 adults)I think the power would be more noticable on their bigger boats, not the x1. The 310 hp is more than enough for that boat! Not to mention we are at high alttitude.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
Yo Ben, MasterCraft has not made a "Carb" engine since 1993. The upholstery is the same thickness as 05 X2. Single axle trailer was also standard on X2. Finger board racks are standard on X1. The spinning racks however are optional. RTP-EFI 310hp is standard even today on X1-X2-197/X7-209/X9. The X1 does not come standard with KGB that I forgot.
Even so look up book values.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-12-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
Nice thing about the X-1 is the proven performance, resale value and reliability.

The 2006 X-1 is not cheap, but a bargin when shopping feature for feature against competitors.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-12-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
The MC dealer had scheduled a demo and now they sent me over a price sheet they want me to guarantee on before we can go. While I'm all for negotiating, why go through all the haggling if I don't like the boat for the money. They're within $4K if what I'd like to spend. Here's what they're offering on an 06. Single axle trailer, Boat cover with Tower, Bimini cover, Board/Slalom Rack (1 Each) and Fiberglass Platform for a final price of $48,758.14. Thoughts? That 05 VLX with warranty to 08 is $42K and there is a used 06 in Salt Lake for about that as well. If they come down to $45K would you buy it new or go with the used 06? Thanks again for all the great replies. 1 hour till Tige time.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-12-2006, 3:25 PM Reply   
06 VLX all the way. Yo u get so much more boat for the price.
B oth Proven Boats but you are comparing a Loaded VLX to a Bare bones X-1 with a Single Axle trailer. I would never rely on a single axle trailer with a Nice boat on top of it.
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-12-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
If you tow much you will learn to love a tandem trailer. I will not purchase a boat without it now.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-12-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
David, that would be a good price for an X1 with swivel racks, MCX engine, KGB ballast, tandem trailer, Clarion satellite radio, 8 JL speakers, PP, bimini, fwd lights, rear lights, etc. Basically fully loaded. Not a good price if you ask me.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-12-2006, 3:54 PM Reply   
bryan, glad you mentioned that. That is pretty much what the used one has, I'm still going to try and demo the boat though.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-12-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   
try out the mobious or supra.. awesome boats..
o and cant forget about the x1
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-12-2006, 10:39 PM Reply   
I received similar advise when boat shopping about 9 moths ago… everyone said x1 or vride, x1 or vride. I have learned quite a bit about boats and wakes in general and have been fortunate enough to ride behind several different late model boats. The more I ride with others, the more I realize I made the right choice by taking the advise of more seasoned riders and getting the right wake producing tool.

Thanks again to all those that aided me in my search!

Did you say you like Viper Red?

Upload
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-13-2006, 12:37 AM Reply   
David-
I posted up above already. I just returned home with my 2004 Malibu 23 LSV. I paid 42,000 for it. You probably already know this, but the state of Nevada is not charging sales tax on used boats or cars as of Jan. 2006. On a $42,000 boat that saves me a few thousand dollars. Just something else to consider. Here are a few links to some pics of my boat:

http://www.fototime.com/A35E1B03FC73098/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/44A7192200135DA/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/C4C5491DD6FFBAF/standard.jpg

You have probably already demo'ed by now, but if you would like to ride in a 23-footer for comparison, just let me know.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-13-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
Attila, that is pretty much the exact boat I was looking at. MC is now officially off the list without a demo.

Sam, that is an awesome looking boat, where did you pick it up from?
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2006, 7:55 AM Reply   
How was Tige time? What boat did you test?
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-13-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
Sanger V215 or X1 IMO.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-13-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
Lucky, Tige was great. Went out with Matt the owner on a 20v and he let us wakeboard behind the boat and give it a mild thrashing. Water was as close to butter as you get at Lake Mead last night so I couldn't really comment on the rough ride characteristics but with TAPS at 1 it rode through it's own wake pretty well. I must say the TAPS made the wake appear a lot different between 1 and 7 compared to the Moomba's wake plate. Both changed the bow attitude, but the wake change was more pronounced with the Tige. He said he has a 22V (not Ve) that I would be unable to pass up that he would contact me about today. Overall, pretty impressive.

In terms of new, it's got to be between his dealership on that 20v or 22v or Boulder Boats with the Mobius LSV or Supra 21V. Anyone know Moomba's warranty? Tige has a 3 yr parts 1 yr parts and labor.
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-13-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
David-
I drove to Kansas City to pick this one up.

Here is a link to one that is almost identical.

http://www.caboats.com/used-boat/5255.htm

I almost bought this boat. The guy said he would be willing to meet me in Oklahoma, and would sell for 42,500. I bought the one in KC because I got it for $500 less.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
David,

I was under the impression that in '06 they changed to 3yr bow to stern on the Tige and Lifetime on the hull.

BTW, I love my 22V (even better than the Ve). the bow is wider and there's more storage in the V-Drive compartments.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-13-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
That's what I meant, hull is lifetime including replacement transferable for 10 years. Bow to stern is 1 yr parts & labor, 3 yr parts. I was wondering how Skier's Choice brands compare because I'm sure a different part will break before the hull on any of these boats.
Old     (samnapper)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-13-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
I’m in the same situation. I want to spend around 45k and I narrowed it down to the v-ride X1 and I still can’t get away from the X2 a lot more money though. Both dealers have been very helpful and seem to have good service departments. The Malibu dealer has two v-rides one is a camp boat with 180 hours and has depth finder, dual battery, flip up drivers seat, rear ballast, two pair pull up cleats, SS rub rail, wedge, cover, bimini, dual axel trailer w/brakes, board racks and stereo w/mp3 and remote. Warranty starts when the boat is sold. The price is 43k out the door with sales tax. They say that they will replace anything that is damaged and fix all the gel coat scratches. The other v-ride is new and does not have board racks or dual battery and it is 46k out the door. The X1 and X2 that I am looking have about the same options, cover, swivel racks, stereo remote, mp3 jack, depth finder and bimini. X1 about 46k and X2 54k OTD. The reason the X2 is still in for consideration is that it will fit in my garage. That will save me 45 to 60 bucks a month for storage. All the prices are pre haggle so I am thinking I can get at least 2k more off any of these boats. How do these prices sound.
Old     (samnapper)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-14-2006, 11:27 AM Reply   
Did I jump into this thread to late.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-14-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
X-1, Sanger, or Calabria.

X1-best wake

Sanger-best built

Calabria-most bling and best IMO boat for the money
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-14-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   

quote:

Sanger-best built

I love a Sanger but you can't be serious.
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-14-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
I couldn't touch an X2 for less tham 61k at my local dealer, thanks but no thanks!