Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old    byron            04-11-2007, 5:03 PM Reply   
I woul like to know so I can start working on those specific muscles. thx
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-11-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
Mostly just the love muscle.

You can work out as much as you want & you still won't hit the right muscles. Best bet, go riding and see what hurts like hell the next day. I do a bunch of leg work, rows, balance & plyos and endurance stuff.
Old    kidrik            04-11-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
Dam, you beat me to it! No pun intended.

If you decide to work this particular muscle, make sure you learn it "switch"....
Old     (jkuzma)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-11-2007, 5:28 PM Reply   
I would work your lower back and 3-arm's or 2-arms for the ladies...lol
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-11-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
Work your core muscles alot abs and lower back. work triceps and biceps, quads and hamstrings. Do lots of stretching as well.
Old    kidrik            04-11-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
On a serious note, the best exercise I ever learned during re-hab was using a Bosu. (the fit ball cut in half on a round platform)

In addition to traditional hammy, quad, and calf exercises, my P.T. had me do tons of "band" work, and my favorite, which was standing on the Bosu,feet together and knees bent about 45 degrees. Keep your back straight, and with a 8 to 10lb. medicine ball, hold it with straight arms out in front of you. You lift the ball with straight arms over your head and slowly back down to starting position for 15 reps.(3 sets) You will be using your core muscles to remain balanced, meanwhile strengthening all of the ligaments surrounding the knees! It's great not only for re-hab, but for preventative maintenance as well!

And YES, don't forget to stretch! A lot!
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-11-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
Bosu's are awesome! They are great for gaining stability in joints and can enhance any core workout. I used one a lot when I sprained my knee. Now I do all of my core strengthening with it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-11-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
That things called a Bosu? Hmmm, I use it a ton as well. Along with the bubble disks.
Old    kidrik            04-11-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
Hahahahahaa! I called it the "Double D" for a long time......
Old    byron            04-11-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
ok thanks I just wanted to make sure and cover everything
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
i'm gonna guess...lats, delts, traps, biceps, triceps, nething in ur legs, spinal erectors (lower back), abs. just about everthing haha
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-11-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
Have you ever wakeboarded? I think it's self-explanatory, no?
Old     (premiergirl)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2007, 9:54 PM Reply   
You will find muscles you never knew you had after your first session of wakeboarding. Im pretty sure you hit every muscle there is.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-11-2007, 11:21 PM Reply   
All of them......Even the ones you dont know you have
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-12-2007, 1:26 AM Reply   
sphinkter-because I get scared shi.less when I get some air

Nose- because I get a nosebleed if I get over 6 inches high over a sunday paper .
Old     (uncc_grad)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-12-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
I agree with those who said core muscles...lower back, abs, obliques, etc.

I workout all the time and have a fairly muscular physique but at the beginning of the season my core muscles take a beating until I get used to riding again!
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-12-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
Water skiing and wakeboarding are sports that use isometric muscular activity. It's a whole body sport with an emphasis on upper body and core.

Try this - when you lift next, reduce your weight, contract the muscle (in whatever lift you're doing), and hold it for 5 seconds (or slow the lifting movement WAY down and hold at the apex). Do your normal number of reps/sets. If you do this, it will wear your muscles out in a much different way than quick contract/release lifting.

Anyone else doing Yoga? 3 months now, and I am TOTALLY convinced that it is impacting my riding. Look for a power Yoga class in your area - where they do continuous Yoga positions in a heated room. I sweat more than when I sit in a sauna and get a GREAT isometric workout.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-12-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
just do like, pulling stuff for spin speed
Old     (nwa)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-12-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
Jerram, I was going to comment on how much Yoga/Mat Pilates has helped me for both strength and balance, but I have to say I was a bit reluctant. Since you put it out there, I recommend it! It is great workout and I end up being sore in the same places as I am when I ride.
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-12-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
here is a pretty intense core work out that my weight training coach has me do

weight training circuit

exercises: with 45 lb circle weight for a bar

Big Circles-go in a circle with arms until u reach bottom and squat when get to top stand on toes

wood chops- like it sounds, above your head to between your legs bending at the back

good mornings- weight behind head on shoulders bending at the back and squatting

walking lunge w/ twist

squat to press out- squat and press weight at full squat bring it in and stand up

over head lunge backward- lung with a step back weight above head

diagonal chops- left shoulder to right knee and vice versa

squat to over head press- like squat to press out but over head

curls

over head extensions

russian twists- set on floor legs slightly ben and twist make sure to twist shoulders

do 3 circuits with 20 reps per exercise and then rest 3 minutes and do again
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/WakeboardingWorkout1.asp
i found this on ww one time. it looks pretty good
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-18-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
Dean - I sweat more in Power Yoga than running 5-6 miles or sitting in a sauna. My wife got me into it and I'm pumped to see what it's going to do for my balance, core and isometric toning this summer.

Not only that, but my flexibility has increased tremendously, which makes moves more fun and makes getting hurt harder.

Here's the place we go in Dallas (Addison): http://www.dynamicpoweryoga.com/

Hook me up with a referral if you go!!