Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-16-2004, 10:10 AM Reply   
We have tried wakesurfing several time with several demo boards, and am having a hard time
finding the "sweet spot". any pointers out there
for this beginner wakesurfer?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-16-2004, 11:25 AM Reply   
Just keep trying. It took me a while to actually ride without the rope. You also must know how to control your board and feel for how its going to react, ie, slowing down and speeding up. You should also know how to keep up with the wave. You can do this by pumping your feet or using your hands to "scoop" the wave in order to gain lost momentum.

Best advice is to hold on to the rope and feel the wave, don't let go until your in control. I assume you have enough ballast to generate a respectable wave?
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-16-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
We run about 1800 # of whatever side the rider is riding, depending if it a regular or goofy rider. Maybe we are going to fast.I guess the next time we are out I will try about 9.5 or so.
We had been trying it at about 11.5 or 12
Everyhwhere I read they drive about 9.5 or so.
Makes me wonder???
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-16-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
That is plenty of weight to surf.

My speed is at 13 mph and its accurate on my speedo. I think the boat size & characteristics dictates the speed. You can usually find the right speed depending on what the shape of the wave looks like.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-16-2004, 1:25 PM Reply   
So would you say the bigger the boat, the faster you have to go?
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-16-2004, 4:42 PM Reply   
It took me a few times out before I could go without a rope. My first problem was the rope I was using was too long. I ended up to far back in the wake. I shortened the rope and found it was much easier to find the sweet spot. Once the sweet spot was found I would hold the rope and let the rope get slack in it. That way if I was getting to far back I could pull myself back into the wake. Second we were going a little to fast. Once I got that figured out we dialed the Perfect pass from around 11 to 9.5 mph. That seems to be just right.(For our boat B52 V3) Now no rope is needed. Also, like pierce said I use my hand to "scoop" the water or pump using my ,legs and feet. If I get to close to the transom I put weight on the back of the board to slow down. Just for the heck of it here is a pic.
wakesurf more/work less
J$
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-16-2004, 5:42 PM Reply   
You seem pretty far back on the wake. Is that the
area to ride in?. We seem to be closer to the platform when we ride?
I'm so confused...J/k
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-16-2004, 7:52 PM Reply   

quote:

So would you say the bigger the boat, the faster you have to go?

I am not sure, I havent been on a bigger boat than mine (23V). I know most people ride around 9-11 mph. The weight placement also determines the wave shape. For me I like to place most of it in the back but also some weight in the front. Too much in the back and it washes out, too much in the front and you have no power. Just keep experimenting it took me a couple of outings to have it dialed in.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-16-2004, 10:20 PM Reply   
You can surf the whole wake. If you get far back in the wake you can shift your weight and pump your legs, cup your hands and use it as a paddle etc..before you know it your at the swim step. I tend to surf it like a small beach break.
J$
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-16-2004, 10:23 PM Reply   
Also, I ride a 5'8" Shredstixx blow fish that is 22" wide. It's a fast board so it is easy to catch up it you start to fall behind the wake.
J$
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-19-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
No the bigger the boat the speed remains the same.

How big are you? Weight? WHat boards are you on?

I ride behind a 23 LSV and VLX, we are a foot or 2 from the transom. You should be in front of where the water starts to crest over.

You can see I am "braking" to slow my speed and remain in the sweet spot

(Message edited by rson on December 19, 2004)
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-19-2004, 8:05 PM Reply   
The board we demo'd the most an I liked the best was a broadcast. I am 5'5" and weight about 140.
So is about 9.5 or so a good speed? Also ypu mention you are "braking" in this pic. How do you do that?. And how do you speed up?

(Message edited by BIg x-star on December 19, 2004)
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-19-2004, 10:03 PM Reply   
9.7 is what we ride on our BU....of course we have 2300 pounds and the wedge in one corner :-)

To brake you place weight on the rear, to speed up you place weight on the nose.

I would try a easier board than the broadcast, rode the landlock to learn the basics of surfing. It has larger fins for grip and it is a larger board. Your weight would be good for the LL
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-20-2004, 6:51 PM Reply   
Thanks
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-23-2004, 12:15 PM Reply   
Have you tried to let go of the rope? What happens when you do?

The way I learned (on a Broadcast) how to let go of the rope was to just drop (don't throw) the rope on the other side of the wake. The first time, I drifted back, so the next time, I put more weight on my front foot and it worked. Learning how to go back and forward by shifting your weight on your feet will help.

Any pictures of your body position? I am still a beginner and I stay really low and try to point the nose of the board towards the other side of the boat.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-23-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
Foot placement is critical for wakesurfing. I recommend moving your feet as close to the toeside edge of the board as possible and move your front foot forward on the board. This will make it easier to stay carving into the wake and keep your speed up. The other important thing is to bend your knees. This will shift your weight to the balls on your feet helping you to edge and keeps the board pointing towards the back of the boat.

When you're in the pocket you'll feel it almost immediately. The rope will go slack and you'll be able to just cruise. Don't drop the rope until you can stay in the pocket for a while.