Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-10-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
I'm an avid natural fan, but I was considering trying out the cartel this season. I have no demo means. Could anyone who has ridden both give me their thoughts on how they compare???
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-10-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
Andy will be here soon...he is an expert and will give a good opinion.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-11-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
I have ridden both, and both are great boards. I think the Cartel/Coda is a little faster then the Natural. The Natural tracks a little better then the Cartel/Coda. They both land really soft put I think the Cartel/Coda lands a little softer. All of these differences are very small. For me, the reason I ride the Natural and not the Cartel/Coda is, the Natural has better pop. Not much, but for me I can tell the difference. I know others that have said the exact same stuff, but in the end, they prefer the Cartel/Coda because it pops better, for them.

I think you will like it, since you like the Natural, I just don't know if you will like it better?

Good Luck,
jjakober
Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-11-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
I'll try to beat Andy to a response

I'm on the Cartel 141 now but have had many sets on the Natty 139 and 144. Oh yea the Player 143 also. All my sets were w/o center fins. The speed on both feels about the same (fast). The Cartel has a little more pop if you hit it right. I believe it has a little more abrupt 3-stage than the natty, but I'm not sure. The Natty has a little more consistent pop for me tho.

The biggest difference for me is the 4 molded fins of the natty versus the 2 on the cartel. When sliding 180s and 360s on the surface you really feel the outer fins of the natty grabbing, like the player. The cartel's two fins are set more to the center of the board and are not as grippy when sliding, which I like. Landing on the cartel can feel a little squirly compared to the natty, but I got used to it quick. Landing while still spinning is easier for me on the cartel because it doesn't grip as much.

Personally I ride the Cartel when the water is smooth and the wake is consistent. The Natty when there's chop, rollers, wind etc...

I'd be interested in hearing Andy's take too.

Let's post now and see if I beat Andy!
Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-11-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
Oh no, Jakober beat me to it.

But I still beat Andy.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-11-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
Gotta agree with the statements above. I think the Natty tracks better and pops a little more consistent off the top of the wake. The Cartel is faster, and has more kick to it, but I didn't like the on or off feeling. Either your on and screaming at the wake, or your off and sliding around.

Here's some pics for reference.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       02-11-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
I feel like the Cartel feels much lighter and faster. It does seem to land a tad harder(therefore a little squirrly) but is so much smoother. Extremely smooth riding board. The Cartel just felt a little more grippy and sluggish comparatively.
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-11-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
so for the steal...but can anyone also compare these to the LF Shane?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-11-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
AHHHHHHHHH I AM HERE!!!!!

What everybody says pretty much sums it up. The Cartel/Coda is a rocket, by far the fast board I have ever shredded. You don’t have to really do any work, just stand on it and it blasts off. Crazy amount of speed and pop. I notice it really most on tricks that you have to stand tall on, Like Backside 5s, or toeside backside spinning, whatnot, lots of speed with out compromising body position.

Next up the Natty, a great ride, very fast, faster than the player, not as fast as the Coda. But for me it’s more work to get on edge. Once it’s tracking it’s a bullet. It’s a lot more predictable than the Coda due to the 4 molded fins. I ride them both without the center fin. The Both land super soft. All that being said I ride a player still my favorite board ever made, super fast, predicable, snappy, loads of pop, perfect for me.

I have seen some top secret 09 Models that will blow your socks off, simply amazing.

CLIFF,

Get those Hyperlite bindings off the Natty, I feel so bad for it.
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-11-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
hey Andy...
how much $$$ are you taking for info and pics of those 09 prototypes? : ]]
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-11-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
hahahhahaaha

Jeff, I am sworn to secercy!
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-11-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
Andy,

SHHHHHH... I agree, what I have seen looks sweet!

Cliff,

Andy is right, time to lose those Hype bindings!! Are you still heading over hear in the spring?

Later,
jjakober
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-11-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
Andy & J - Cliff will never get rid of those. If they break he just replaces an overlap witha new one from one of the boxes he has. They will live forever. LOL! NWWF Labor Day week. The boys are goin all week this time.

I love my Cartel. Everything Andy said.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-12-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
Dave,

Did you score that white vest yet?

J
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-12-2008, 7:11 AM Reply   
JJ,

I'll be over there 5/29-5/31. Greg Mcneil has generously volunteered his boat for us to ride on while I'm in town. Set your schedule accordingly.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-12-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
JJ,

Top Secret! All we can say for now is WOW!
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-12-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
No, I did not. Waiting for the 08 stuff to hit. I may have missed the boat, but I couldn't find one. oh well.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-12-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
Dave which white vest are you looking for? The O'brien Vest? I have an XL if you are interested.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-12-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
Was surfing around just now and saw the Team EVA. I like it even though Cliff will call me gay (he has no right sporting the Belmonts. LOL!). Not sure in the sizing. Do the O'briens size the same as the others or are they slightly larger/smaller? I need to go to one of the local shops and see about the O size. Thanks Andy I will let you know. I think I'm more of a L.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-12-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
Dave,

When you tried mine on it was a medium. Hope this helps?

jjakober
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-12-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
I usually rock a large in most vest some an XL, except this XL is massive
Old    110outlet            02-12-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
ALl i have to say is the Nat tracks like crazy, i love it, im going for the 08 with the watkins closed toes this yr, sweeeeeeet.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-13-2008, 5:49 AM Reply   
Andy,

How much you want for the XL???
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-13-2008, 6:41 AM Reply   
Come on Cliff, how could you sport that ultra cool white O'Brien life jacket and still be strapping into those old Hype bindings?!?!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-13-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
Aint nothin wrong with bein OG.

Couldn't get the Argons on or off, couldn't get the Zenons to tighten down on my ankle. Belmonts slide on like a slipper, comfy my entire set, and dead sexy yellow eyelets.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-13-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
You buy that XL and I'll be bring Cheetos and Grape juice on the boat everytime we ride. LOL!
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       02-13-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
The cartel is a bit faster than the natural and I think pops a bit better. It is also a bit looser if you like that style of board. They are both good boards. If you like a loose board go for the cartel and if you don't like it loose go for the natural.