Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-27-2014, 10:39 AM Reply   
Got to the ramp just after dark (2 lane ramp). A dually truck with trailer already backed in so I back down as well. As I'm approaching my trailer with my docking lights on I see something weird with my trailer. I stop with the bow of my boat just at the guide posts to check it out. It was the guy next to me main trailer bunk for the "V" of his 22-23' Crownline. all this time he is trying to load his boat not knowing his bunk was missing and yelling at his girl blaming her for the boat being crooked. I yelled at him "hey, you missing something on your trailer by chance?" Then I pointed to his bunk. He literally says "F-it" and tells her to throttle the boat up. It made a sound I never want to here again. Then he left without the bunk.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-28-2014, 9:43 AM Reply   
Ouch!
Speaking of launch ramp idiocy.
Yesterday at Rollins lake, 2 lane ramp also.

1 boat is launching dock side, and we are in line waiting to pull into the 2nd lane, it's next to a beach swimming area.
When old boy in his Honda civic drives his car straight down the launch ramp until his front tires are right at the water and gets out and starts enjoying the lake with his chair and takes his shoes off.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       07-28-2014, 11:36 AM Reply   
^^^ hahahaha he didn't by chance have remote control boat?
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-28-2014, 2:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
Ouch!

1 boat is launching dock side, and we are in line waiting to pull into the 2nd lane, it's next to a beach swimming area.
When old boy in his Honda civic drives his car straight down the launch ramp until his front tires are right at the water and gets out and starts enjoying the lake with his chair and takes his shoes off.
BWAAAAHHHhahahahahahahaha!!!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-28-2014, 2:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Ouch!

That's when you take his ebrake off, put it in neutral (guessing a manual from your description of him, and he probably didn't lock it) and roll his car into the lake followed by telling him, "Your kind ain't welcome around these here parts."
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2014, 2:56 PM Reply   
4th of July weekend started hearing sirens like crazy ... not out of the normal for a holiday weekend.

Shortly after see the local hospital's helicopter hovering directly over our house and eventually put down like .2 of a mile away (at the nearest boat landing). One of the guys hanging out on our beach was a local police officer (off duty) and checked in to see what happened....

Some out of town people had pulled their boat from a different lake and were going to put in on the lake I live on, they didn't have room in the SUV for everyone, so 8 people stayed in the pontoon boat to drive the 3/4 miles between launches, the last corner to pull into the launch the pontoon rolled off the trailer and one of the passengers tried to jump away but was pinned under it.

From what we gathered his skull was cracked and he was med-flight transported to the hospital.... not sure his status. All the other injuries were minor but it also sounded like the driver was getting charged pretty heavily for allowing them to be back there.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-28-2014, 5:24 PM Reply   
Doesn't hold a candle to the civic owner but witnessed a ramp 1st on Sunday.

9AM so probably no alcohol involved but still pretty awesome. Group on a sport boat being launched by blacked out, lifted, tuned, straight piped dodge diesel. Dunked trailer, boat fired up & floats then truck driver decides to make a scene by dropping the hammer rolling coal and spinning the tires up the ramp with one minor problem, 1 transom strap was still attached so the boat spun around and was being pulled backwards outdrive 1st into the ramp. Felt a little bad for the boat owner since it was an honest mistake that could happen to anyone but had the truck driver not been doing his best John Force impression he may have heard the yelling from the folks in the boat.

There should be a launch ramp box to check when filing divorce papers. Somehow it's the only place that screaming at your spouse in public is acceptable.
Old     (hotrod508)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-28-2014, 6:20 PM Reply   
I've seen this 3 times at the same ramp now here in Indiana ......people with roller trailers "think" the boat will stay on the trailer and it falls off the trailer before it gets to the water.

I even seen it where even though the out drive is on the ground they continued to back up until that fin was ground off and then it started on the prop about the time it hit the water...

Guess that's why you don't see many roller trailers anymore!
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-28-2014, 7:06 PM Reply   
I sold a boat with a roller trailer to my bother. Apparently the safety chain had bit the dust and the winch strap decided it was done when he had the boat half way up the ramp. It was an older I/O that I sold for 500 because I'm a good brother and knew I'd still be able to use it when I visited once a year. His best option was to just back it in again by pushing it back down the ramp. Any kind of boat rescue service would have cost more than the boat. It survived the incident and years later he sold it for well over what he paid for it. Roller trailers ....
Old     (hotrod508)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-28-2014, 7:52 PM Reply   
My first boat was a 73 correct craft Martinique. the trailer had 2 flat bunks....being the always in a hurry type that I am, one day I went around a corner and looking in the mirror I could see the prop and rudder hanging over the wheels on the side! the boat had slid sideways !.....without missing a beat, or thinking, I swerved in the opposite direction. Miraculously it came back around on the trailer! A near miss for sure, surprised as I thought about it later that I didn't have to pick it up off the road!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-29-2014, 11:22 AM Reply   
The guy with the Dodge Diesel seems like the 2nd biggest dbag aside from the civic guy.
hotrod, I can't believe that worked, but you know sometimes your first instinct is the right one. I have had many problems fixed in a lot of situations with the mantra, "Have you tried hitting it?"
You'd be surprised how well that works a lot of the time lol
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-29-2014, 1:43 PM Reply   
I got a story..... Will try to give the cliff notes....
Last year we pull out of the water and are wiping down. An older escalade with an empty trailer is blazing through lot. Completely T-Bones another truck and trailer at high speed. We run over there and everyone is shaken up and the escalade owner just got out and started walking to the ramp. He was visually HAMMERED. I started walking with him as others called the police. I told him I would help him out, but he was gonna be in some trouble. I tell him we can go down and tell his waiting boat at the ramp to tie it up since there was an accident. He proceeded to tell me he had to take a dump and he thinks he did some in his pants when he crashed. I tell him we need to go to the ramp and he follows and keeps saying he has to take a dump. We get to the ramp and his brother is passed out on the steering wheel of the boat and could not get the boat to the ramp. He then proceeds to tell me he needs to jump in the water to clean his a$$ out. He jumps in the water and wipes away. He then throws his hand in the air for me to pull him out. Nope, not gonna happen. The cops finally show up and take him and help get the boat to the dock.... Not sure what really happened with them, but have not seen them on the water again and glad they did not kill anyone. Never seen anyone so drunk.
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       07-29-2014, 2:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Ouch!

That's awesome! Lmao!
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-29-2014, 2:55 PM Reply   
on way to drop off friend on the dock to grab my trailer and truck. There is a small 20' bowrider approaching his trailer that's on the ramp. There are a total of 3 trailers on the ramp and his is on the far right hand side. It's on a river so it's got some current. His boat starts to turn sideways as it's 1/2 on the trailer. No guide poles and he floors it to try and get it on. Ends up on top of the 2 trailers beside him. We decided to come back a little later to unload.... LOL really wish I had a camera
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-30-2014, 9:33 AM Reply   
a picture is worth 1000 words

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-30-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
All those are bad, but I think one of the worst ones I've seen, was years and years ago out with my parents when I was like 13 or so. We were out for the 4th, me and my dad were waiting in the boat while my mom went up to get the truck. We were launching out of Swan Island then, which is a 2 lane ramp, one side definitely better than the other and virtually no dock space. It was around midnight or so after the fireworks from Ft. Vancouver. The ramp parking lot, ramp, and water in the area is absolutely packed.
Two guys starting going down the ramp at the same time, both headed for the same slot as someone is already in the other one. They do the whole hand gestures and honking deal and both are being stubborn wanting to get to that slot and get home. They both aren't moving, so one guy gets out to walk over to the other guy and talk to him. The other guy apparently didn't feel like talking much as he pulled a baseball bat out from behind the seat of his truck and proceeds to hit the other guy in the head with it knocking him out next to his truck on the boat ramp.
At this point someone with a cell phone (at this point they were around, but hardly anyone had one) called the cops. Other people stepped up to help the guy who was hit, getting his truck out of the way. Some people ended up blocking the guy with the bat in so he couldn't leave until the cops got there.
A visit from the police, and the ambulance, which kind of stopped the trailering process really extended the night out.
In the mean time people who didn't see or have a part in it were using one lane to get in and out. It was a really long slow process and I don't think we got home until about 3AM.

This was the last time we launched out of there on the 4th and one of the last times we went out on the 4th because of it being so hectic at the ramp coming back.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-30-2014, 11:20 AM Reply   
The 4th of july on any fireworks lake is a great place to sit, have a few drinks, and a good laugh watching people trying to load up. I do not have any crazy stories but this year I got behind the slowest person ever. I used a 6 ramp launch and my luck i got behind the guy that took 20 minutes to load his boat and another 10 minutes to pull off the ramp. There were 4 people helping load the boat and it was only 18-20' long. Who knows.
Old     (hotrod508)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-30-2014, 12:26 PM Reply   
I am loving this thread! People on the lake think "no rules " once the drinking gets out of hand!

I don't know if very many people on here are familiar with Dale Hollow lake in Tennessee ? Well at the south end of the lake they had a bar, way up on a hill, called Moogeys (it burnt down) . It was one of them places that as long as the "group" that was in there was cool, the beer was pretty cheap! Well I was the D.D. And it was my boat....we stayed a little too late till around 12am one night till they closed. Well we were on a houseboat at the north end of the lake, running back in the dark. No spotlight,no planning, just running lights stars and a ton of fog! Driving home a boatload of drunk /sobering up people is no fun! They were all telling me I was heading the wrong way no mater where we went. Finally the complaints escalated to demands to drive faster, "just let me drive I know the way! "

So we come to a 3 way fork in the lake. Took the wrong fork....it was really foggy! And we're traveling around 10mph, can't see any thing, just then half of the boat is passed out, the other half is yelling at me to drive faster "they know exactly where they are! "

So we start to see a figure in the front of us and I instinctively slow down a little , people still telling me to go faster, and we coast right up to with in a foot of hitting a rock wall. Like the kind you jump off of! Never hit a thing because I was careful, but I still cringe when I think of how close I can to giving in to the pressure to let one of the others drive.

So we turn around and still at the urgings of the scared sober crew, start out on another way and end up back at the dock we left from purely on accident ! Needless to say we stayed at the dock after that!
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-30-2014, 2:24 PM Reply   
I love these threads. Last year we were at a campground that has a one lane ramp. Our camping spot is right across the cove from the ramp and we watch these idiots back down the ramp, launch there waverunners, hop on and take off for the day while leaving their truck still backed down the ramp. There wasn't a line at the time, but 30 minutes later we were getting ready to leave and needed to get the boat out. I walk over and the idiots left the truck unlocked and keys in the ignition so I politely park it in the shade for them like a good samaritan. I should get an award for being so nice. I still wonder if they ever found their keys though...
Old     (Austinb23)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-30-2014, 4:19 PM Reply   
mine isn't great but w few weeks ago i was in the boat and my dad just backed the trailer in to the water and this stupid woman in like some bayliner cuts me off and ttys to but that boat onto my trailer and I'm honking the horn and yelling at her and so is my dad and so finally she realizes that she is approaching the wrong trailer. so while we are packing up to leave we see them and neither there truck or trailer looked at all like ours
Old     (passthruhunter1)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-30-2014, 7:13 PM Reply   
That will leave a mark
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       07-31-2014, 5:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthons View Post
I love these threads. Last year we were at a campground that has a one lane ramp. Our camping spot is right across the cove from the ramp and we watch these idiots back down the ramp, launch there waverunners, hop on and take off for the day while leaving their truck still backed down the ramp. There wasn't a line at the time, but 30 minutes later we were getting ready to leave and needed to get the boat out. I walk over and the idiots left the truck unlocked and keys in the ignition so I politely park it in the shade for them like a good samaritan. I should get an award for being so nice. I still wonder if they ever found their keys though...
LOL, sounds like one I pulled. During Memorial Day weekend last year some douche in an S-10 decided to launch his kayak out of the bed of his truck and go for a paddle. Left his POS minitruck just sitting on the ramp double docked while I was trying to load my boat. There were a few others putting in who saw it too, and it pissed all of us off. I ended up dropping my trailer, busting out a tow strap, hooking my Dodge dually up to it and dragging it off the ramp. I pulled it up into the grassy field about 1/2 mile away from the ramp behind the camp bathrooms at the park. The guys putting in that saw all of this agreed to park around him and box it in after they launched. Not sure how long it took him to get his truck back, but I'm sure he had no problem finding it with the trail of skid marks and ruts it left....
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-31-2014, 7:48 AM Reply   
Couple years ago, we had a combination of low lake levels and a less than knee deep rock pile from the power loaders at our local lake. To get launched we'd have to float the boat in place off the trailer, pull the trailer out from under the boat, then walk the boat over the rock pile which would contact rudder and tracking fins a little. Anyway, dude with a bass boat comes wheeling down the ramp while I was getting in at the dock. I tell him of the ramp's current issues and to be careful, since I don't like to see people damage their stuff, and offered to give him a hand. For my trouble, he gives me a sarcastic a-hole response that he knows how to launch his own boat. So he jumps in, fires up the motor, unhooks and fires it into reverse off the trailer and buried his lower unit and prop into the rock pile. One of the worst sounds I've ever heard. Destroyed his prop, and probably did some damage to the lower unit. I just shook my head and hopped into the boat and we went riding.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-31-2014, 8:11 AM Reply   
Not boat related, but a drunk A hole none the less. Comes tearing through the pits at a local MX track in his truck, in the empty area starts doing donuts, his bike flies out the back of his truck, he drives off & parks about 100' away. Gets out notices his bike missing, starts screaming at his girl "you stupid B***h, you didn't strap the bike down good enough, still screaming storms off to collect his bike while we're having a good laugh. Continues to berate his girl. I felt bad for that girl, not sure why chicks put up with dudes like that, she was way too hot to have to settle for a Jack Wagon
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-31-2014, 12:36 PM Reply   
There were a few of us at the dock one evening heading in for the day. The sun sets beyond the ramps, so you really have to look to see when your truck and trailer are there. We always used to see who could hook and load the fastest. Back when supra's had the boat buddy's. Diggs you were there. So as I am loading I look over at our other buddy who is yelling at all of us I got the biggest boat here X80 ect, ect. as he is loading it onto somebody else's trailer. Needless to say, when he gets it out and pulls up to us as we are wiping down the boats, he says that guy didn't seem to happy. I think we gave him the win that day.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-05-2014, 12:24 PM Reply   
Figured this was a good thread for this.
My family luckily passed up a camping trip with my parents this last weekend at Swift Reservoir. They came back with horror stories of the dumb boaters up there. There must be first time owners with absolutely no sense or disregard for any and everything.
According to my parents, who are experienced, 30 year+ boaters, a bunch of people from the same group, in several boats were driving recklessly, power turning everywhere, pulling skiers and tubers with only the driver in the boat, and worse yet, pulling them at high speeds all the way until a few boat lengths from the trailer. Talking about coming into the ramp where people are launching at 20mph+
Absolutely no accountability or anyone to tell them otherwise apart from a bunch of other pissed off boat owners like them.
Unfortunately there is no cell service or anything up there for anyone to call them in. So glad I skipped that one and will likely not head up there in the future because the group of people up there tend to be regulars, several families of them.
Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       08-25-2014, 2:58 PM Reply   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg8lFzeKgEM
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-25-2014, 3:40 PM Reply   
^ Painful. Lake Havasu Site 6, I believe.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-25-2014, 3:54 PM Reply   
^^ Now that is a video worth posting! AWESOME ^^
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-25-2014, 4:00 PM Reply   
I wasn't there to witness this but DAMN its good.
Old buddy of mine was at a local lake backing down to drop his I/O in the water. About 3' from the water another buddy on the top yells WAIT I'M HERE! So buddy #1 stops and throws his truck into drive and gives it gas. On the ramp the truck rolled back and finally caught in gear and the boat slides off the trailer and becomes a ramp paper weight. LOL, I guess a bunch of people worked together with the winch and ended up getting it back on the trailer. Not sure what he's doing now but I don't boat with him anymore...
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-25-2014, 4:08 PM Reply   
WTH happened there???? Other than accidentally hammering the throttle forward by falling down or something how did that happen?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-25-2014, 4:30 PM Reply   
Not sure... Boat unhooked and too much throttle I guess. Just glad I wasn't there.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-25-2014, 5:37 PM Reply   
This guy decided to launch his truck today
Attached Images

Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-26-2014, 7:43 AM Reply   
The boat ramp that we use is a small 2 lane ramp. We know every time we get there that something is going to happen. It sits right off the dam so once you are in line to load or unload your stuck in that spot there is no way to get around anybody. So what usually happens is you drop your driver off at the dock and while you are waiting, you get the people that have a boat load of people but yet only the driver of the boat can back a trailer and load the boat. What they don't realize is that they are about 5 in line to load but they just tied up the dock so no one else can load or unload. Many of times I have seen boats untied and pushed off the docks with no one in them, Good times. But the best was this weekend when a guy in a 22ft cobalt was on one side of the dock loading and a pontoon with a full load of people on the other side of the dock was waiting for the boat driver to get back from parking the truck. The guy in the cobalt goes to power load with the trim up and shoots a wall of water about 20' high and completely soaks everything and everyone in the pontoon. One of the funniest things I have seen, haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-26-2014, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidin_out View Post
WTH happened there???? Other than accidentally hammering the throttle forward by falling down or something how did that happen?
Those go-fast boats have 2 separate levers near the throttle. One controls throttle, the other controls what gear the guys in. He probably throttled up too far, then tried grabbing for the gear shift lever to get it out of reverse, but instead jammed it in forward while still heavy on the throttle (which explains the sweet wheelie he did) then just panicked and couldn't figure out what lever to adjust.

Probably his first time driving that boat. Dumb dumb.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-26-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake26 View Post
...But the best was this weekend when a guy in a 22ft cobalt was on one side of the dock loading and a pontoon with a full load of people on the other side of the dock was waiting for the boat driver to get back from parking the truck. The guy in the cobalt goes to power load with the trim up and shoots a wall of water about 20' high and completely soaks everything and everyone in the pontoon. One of the funniest things I have seen, haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
Yeah - cause if your grandma and mom were on the pontoon waiting for you to return because they don't know how to drive a boat they deserve to be humiliated...

nothing funnier than an a-hole being an a-hole to innocent people doing nothing wrong

Both you and the cobalt driver need help.
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       08-26-2014, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
Yeah - cause if your grandma and mom were on the pontoon waiting for you to return because they don't know how to drive a boat they deserve to be humiliated...

nothing funnier than an a-hole being an a-hole to innocent people doing nothing wrong

It's just water. I would think it was funny too.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-26-2014, 11:40 AM Reply   
Quote:

Someone pee in your cheerios this morning? Relax...
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-26-2014, 1:17 PM Reply   
Quote:

Dang!! Didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch. It was pretty easy to see that the Cobalt driver had no clue what he was doing. He had to have it floored to shoot that much water that high and far. As far as the pontoon group. It was a big group of collage kids that had been tying up the dock for over 15 mins while waiting for the driver of the truck to get back with more beer. The pontoon boat was still there when I loaded, still trying to fit more beer in the coolers. So yes it was pretty funny.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-26-2014, 1:40 PM Reply   
From the way the story was written the cobalt driver purposely was a jerk to a bunch of innocent bystanders. Jarod, you were implying that because they were taking a spot at the courtesy ramp this guy in his cobalt blasted a wave over them. If you had said he was clueless and ended up accidentally covering a bunch of college kids in a wave of water that would certainly have been far different.

One is an innocent yet moronic mistake. The other is...well...like I said before - not very cool and could end up a far worse situation.
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-26-2014, 2:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
At Kiva?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-27-2014, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Winning!
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-27-2014, 9:18 AM Reply   
Tim, when I read Jarod's post about the pontoon and Cobalt, I understood it that the cobalt unintentionally and cluelessly soaked the pontoon boat. I even had a mental image of the cobalt guy repeatedly revving up the engine and shooting the water over on the pontoon boat and it's occupants, completely oblivious of what he was doing. I think you may have just misread it.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-27-2014, 11:22 AM Reply   
Yeah - no worries. I must have misread it. He was just talking about being pissed at people sitting and waiting at a courtesy dock then laughing at people that got a dousing from someone else for having to wait for their driver...

Getting a shower by a moron that is clearly unable to handle his boat would even make myself laugh. (even if I was the one that was wet)