Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-01-2010, 7:42 PM Reply   
So I winterized my boat myself but did not change the oil. I know that most change the oil when winterizing but i decided to change it in the spring instead. My rational was that the oil only had 50hrs of usage on it and should probably be ok until spring.

Is this an ok assumption?
Old     (mcdye)      Join Date: Apr 2009       11-01-2010, 7:51 PM Reply   
Most change their oil at 50 hours, it would be best to change now as to having the old oil stay in there until the spring...
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       11-01-2010, 8:15 PM Reply   
I agree, I change my oil every 50 hours, I would much rather have fresh oil ready to go in the spring.
Old     (docdrs)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-01-2010, 8:23 PM Reply   
I would definitely change it now.....acids have built up in your oil and these will be coating all your bearings, rings,cams etc........just take a look at your dipstick and see how dark the oil is......make sure you run your engine after you change it otherwise the change is useless
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-01-2010, 11:54 PM Reply   
Your boat is already winterized and shut down so I would leave the oil and change it in the spring.
Doodrs is completely right about the acids and needing to run the oil through the bearings if you do it. I just don't think it is the end of the world to let it sit one winter with the oil left in. It is something you should do shortly before you put away your boat, normally. The tranny and v-drive oil are less important but it's usually best to change the transmission oil at the same time as the engine oil.