Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (stick)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-16-2007, 10:03 PM Reply   
I currently own a MC Prostar 190 for slalom skiing. My wife and I really liked surfing, so we want to get a boat where we can surf and continue to slalom ski, plus maybe introduce our kids to wakeboarding. But mainly looking for a boat with a decent slalom wake and good surf wake.
We are looking at a 2007 Nautique SV211 and a few used 2003-2005 MC X2's.

We just want a good surf wake and decent slalom wake for recreational skiing. We typically just boat with our family (4 people) so we won't have alot of extra weight.

What would you buy? Please give me reasons why, because this thread could very well dictate our decision.

Thank you!
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-17-2007, 2:29 AM Reply   
im not sure how much you have surfed, but it takes commitment and a willingness to push your boat to the extreme to get a great surf wake. im gonna say 9/10 surfers dont even know what a ski wake looks like. displacement and listing is key and when you say you wont have a lot of weight in the boat means you wont have a surf wake no matter witch boat you go with. bigger the boat means mit will take more weight but have the room to store it. i love both the boats you mentioned above. sv211 is a great cross over, high price and more room then mc. the v205 mc hull is a classic and one of the best wakeboard wakes imo ever with proper weight. very small boat once the ballest and lead start filling it zero storage. i say if its surfing your after you should start looking at boats with a wider beam, longer and more room for ballest, i.e. 23 footers+. with enough weight you can surf behind any boat it just wont be a 24 enzo or a 247lsv with 3-4k of ballest in it and in return you will trying to slalom over mountain. imo the cross over thing kinda works for the skier/wakeboard/family boat but when you throw surfing in the mix its another level of boat.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-17-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
Hey John,

I agree with Bryan - you will need more than just 3 people in the boat to get a decent surf wake. A fat sac or two or three along with the Tsunami pump is the way to go.

Not sure if you have considered Malibu...
Two good options that ski and surf well ->
Vride
puts out a good surf wake (better on the starboard side) and has a good slalom wake as well. We have an 06. My wife skis, I wakeboard and we both wakesurf. It is a great all around boat. Our surf wake is not on par with the enzo by any means, but it is good.

The VLX
surprisingly, the diamond - "ski" hull also puts out a good ski wake and a great surf wake on both sides of the boat. Look for some posts with pics by DonnieB. I pulled my first solid 360s the first time on his boat. Only stock ballast and 1 750# fat sac.

I don't think you have to have a 23+ft to make a decent surf wake. Especially if you are OK with not having a world class surf wake and want to be able to ski. Check out the Vride or the VLX. There are other options out there as well, but I'm just speaking from my experience on these boats -- haven't been on other smaller boats but there are others that will work.

Here's a couple of pics on our Vride

Upload
Upload
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-17-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
John, we were in the same boat as you, no pun inteneded. We ended up with an 05 X2. At the lake we still ski every morning, followed by a wakeboard run. Then in the afternoon we'll surf and wakeboard again in the evening. I'll have to politely disagree with Bryan about more room in the SV 211, the seating arrangement and the high freeboard were just too weird for me.

Take a look at the Malibu VTX and Vride, I would think when skiing the VLX would have too big of a wake for your liking!! Maybe even a Supra 21 V!!
Old     (stick)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-17-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input thus far. More opinions are still welcome :-)
We have surfed very little. I bought two fat sacs and a Tsumani pump and tried to surf with our Prostar 190 last summer. HA!

I don't have a problem adding fat sacs for more weight. I just know my wife won't like 10 fat sacs in the boat.

I will take a look at the Malibu suggestions.

The Nautique dealer here has a brand new '07 211 that he is desperate to get rid of because the '08 are coming in. It is pretty much loaded and he wants $50,250.

Although we really want to spend around $36-$40k for a boat, thus the reason we are looking at used. But for that price for a new 211 seems really good. Maybe we should just bit the bullet and spend more for it.

Thanks for the input.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-17-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
I think you could get a leftover 2007 Malibu VTX for around $50k, too. This one is in your wheelhouse, not too far away from you:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/505304723.html
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-17-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
I like this VTX:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/506565.html?1195481669

And this is the best deal on the market right now!! Not the best ski wake, but add a wakeplate and your wife might be able to deal with it. Sweet wakeboard and surf wake. Somebody needs to buy it, we would have, but it's the same year and exact same colors of our neighbors at the lake. They paid $63k for it and it has PP:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/490615645.html

(Message edited by lionel on December 17, 2007)

(Message edited by lionel on December 17, 2007)
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       12-18-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
I can surf my Nautique Super Sport with 3 fatsacs and only my wife in the boat driving (it's legal with a 160 degree mirror on my lake). The wave is not huge, but it is fun.

Granted I only weigh 165 and our lake is a pretty uniform 30 ft but you really don't have to throw rediculous amounts of weight into a boat to get a surfable wave, only if you want to make it enormous.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-18-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
John,

I have a 2005 X-2 and would highly recommend this boat for what you want to do. The hull is great for wake boarding and is probably the best hull for skiing from any of the wakeboats. My surf wake is very good. It is not the best that I've seen but I also don't put over 2000 lbs of ballast in the boat. Storage is not a problem. I've removed the hard ballast tanks and replaced them with 750 fat sacs. I highly recommend this. I also added a 390 lbs Fat Sac underneath the port side seat. This sac is connected to the starboard side pump. The ballast pumps on Mastercrafts are also top notch. Many other boats use pumps similar to bilge pumps. I also think the rack and tower on the MC is the best in the business. Never have to worry about getting hit in the face with a bungee cord, swivel rack works great and the rack can hold up to a 2 inch thick surf board. All of our surf boards except for our Shred Stix fit in the rack.

Wake behind X-2 (3 people in boat; 1300 lbs of ballast)
Upload

(Message edited by norris_laker on December 18, 2007)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-18-2007, 6:43 PM Reply   
Have you looked at any Tiges. We have a 22Ve, and I can surf with as little as 700#'s in the rear locker. My usual set up is 1200#'s and just the wife and I quite often. The slalom wake is fairly soft @ 28+ (i'm only a rec skier so dont hold too much in that).

The 20V is a solid boat that puts out a good surf wake and slalom wake (narrower beam) and may be in your price range new.

The Z1 is a brand new 21' that looks to also be a great multi-sport boat that will be in the $45k range. Hope to put one in the water as soon as my dealer gets on in.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-18-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
John Wakecraft is making a DD with the same hull as the original Wakecraft ZR6. Should ski great and then throw some weight in there and you have a killer wakesurf and wakeboarding boat for a 21.5 foot boat(add a tower of your choice after you buy it) for around 44k new customized to your liking. Call em up maybe they will get you out hear for a ride to try it out.

O ya reasons- customize the interior and exterior graphics and gel, you'll make friends for life with the service you get from the owner awesome warrantee, top of the line equipment, superb fit and finish, awesome wake for all water sports etc, great handling boat, perfect size for those of us that don’t like taking 20 people out on the boat, o ya and an owner referral program is nice too.

If you want a v-drive then they have two models to pic from the ZR-6 and the ZR-Wake. The latter of the two is a no frills model with a different aftermarket tower and lower end stereo set up. This is going to run into the 50-60k range though. I have the decked out model and we only add two Fat Bricks in whatever rear locker we are surfing on along with that corresponding sides ballast and front ballast so total w/o three or four others in the boat its around 900-1000#'s of water ballast. Some of my buddies wjo are pretty good at the surfing gig can actually surf it pretty easily with only the front 200# tank as well as one of the side 500# tanks filled and all of about four people on that particular side of the boat.
(Message edited by deltaboy on December 18, 2007)

Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-29-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
'05, Nautique SV 211, 3 people on boat, standard factory ballasts full, fresh water (salt is small for surfing):

Upload
Upload
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-29-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
Oh, and I heard that they changed the SV211 prop rotation after '05, so your '07 with factory ballasts and 1 extra fat sac will have a pretty fun right.

In my opinion, you typically don't need to add that much weight to a boat unless you're looking to go pro Wakesurfing, on our boat anyway, is something we do to relax, kick back, and have some fun when the water's choppy. All you really need to have fun is a workable little section that pushes you.
Old     (stick)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-31-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the opinions.

Okay, the SV211 is out. The wife didn't like the walk thru transom.

It is down between a used MC X2 or a used Malibu VLX (21 footer) with the diamond hull.

There are a few X2 around, but seems harder to find a clean Malibu with the diamond hull.
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-01-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
If you want to ski - I'd spend the money and get the VTX. For what a VLX is usually sought out for, wakeskate/board/surf - zero for skiing. If you manage to get one with a diamond (which I didn't even know existed for the VLX) you'll be punished if you try to unload that thing anytime soon.

If you want to ski and surf IMO, I'd look to weigh DOWN a ski boat, not get a wake boat with a ski hull. I'm not going to make up statistics, but if this was a game show, I am sure I'd bet over 99% of people looking at a VLX new or used, slalom is not on their agenda.

The Godfather of our crew has an LSV (03) with a diamond hull, for skiing - but surprisingly is one of the best surf boats I've been behind with a slalom inspired hull. Check an LSV with a diamond, not a VLX.

Upload
2003 LSV (Diamond)
Old     (stick)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-01-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
Loc,
I thought the only difference between a SLV and a VLX is the factory ballast on the VLX, otherwise aren't they the same boat?

I would certainly take a SLV. Thank you for your feedback.
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-01-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
John - No, and it's not so much the factory ballast as it is a "wakesetter" package, which includes the factory ballast amongst other "wake-inspired" options. The LSV, comes in wakesetter and sunscape models and the available hulls, wake or diamond but even that isn't that big of deal as you can find an LSV on a diamond hull with wakesetter options all the way down to the graphics. FYI, the common package AKA "fakesetter" is exactly what you are looking for. It's just a Sunscape LSV with the Wakesetter package on a diamond hull that is NOT great at skiing, wakeboarding, wakeskating, wakesurfing, and tubing, but DAMN GOOD at them all.

Definitely add the LSV to your list, and I am 100% positive you can find a diamond hull LSV which is the best of both worlds and fits you bill.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-02-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
John, we really like the walk through transom. I was hesitant at first as well, but once I realized that it lifts up and there's a ski locker under it, I was sold. Having people walk in down low like that keeps water from dripping down on the engine. It keeps the people off of the vinyl in back so they don't scratch it up like I've seen on some other V-Drives, and it really makes it easier to get dogs and little people in and out of the boat. Also, if you look closely, the SV211 has a mini seat on the back, just above the swim platform, which is really convenient for getting in and out of your bindings.

In my opinion, Correct Craft really put alot of thought into the design and layout of the SV211. It's very functional.
Old     (stick)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-02-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
Tim,
I didn't realize the walk thru flips up to accesss the storage. That was the issue with my wife.

Loc,
So basically the only difference between a LSV Wakesetter and an LXV Wakesetter is that LSV can come with a diamond hull? Correct?

Thanks for the education.

John
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-02-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
John - yeah, that is NOT the only difference, depending on the year there are many LSV specific options and VLX options. But yes, there is more of a crossover opportunity in the LSV as you have a Sunscape and Wakesetter models and the hull choice.

The LSV also comes in a 23' whereas the VLX only comes in 21'. But with certainty the VLX would be terrible for skiing.
Old     (donnieb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-02-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
As Loc says, the Malibu Sunscape comes in multiple lengths (the Sunscape 21 LSV is the closest to the Wakesetter VLX – note that they are both actually 21.5’).

However, you can get the Wakesetter VLX with a diamond hull (it’s basically the Sunscape 21 LSV with the wakeboarding extras like the wedge, below-the-floor ballast, and tower). This is what I bought in 2007, and I love it. And, it’s my understanding from the DVD Malibu gave me when I was considering buying a Malibu that professional slalom skier Jill Knutson owns the Sunscape 21 LSV (again, the same boat as a Wakesetter VLX but with the diamond hull, not the wakesetter hull), and according to the DVD, she loves the boat for skiing.

Having said that, I’ve never tried my boat for skiing – I got hooked on wakesurfing and haven’t looked back. And the boat can create some great waves for surfing. Here's one of a buddy of mine behind my boat.

Upload

I’d recommend that you also ask some of your questions about a Malibu on this forum -- http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?

Anyway, good luck with your decision!

Donnieb
Old     (stick)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-03-2008, 1:27 AM Reply   
Thanks again for the information.
Old     (stick)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-03-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
Well, don't laugh, but I bought a 2005 VLX Wakesetter. I found one in immaculate condition for a great price. Obviously the wake is going to be horrible, but the price was too good to pass up. So, not the boat we set out to buy, but my wife and I are prepared for the nasty wake and we hope that surfing takes over our interests. If not, I am confident I can flip this boat this summer and look for the diamond hull.

Thanks again for all your advice and opinions.

John
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-03-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
You made a GREAT choice, the wake on the VLX is fantastic for skate/board/surf/tube/hydro.

Take your skinny sticks to eBay and begin your crossover to the darkside.

Congrats to you and your family John, enjoy!
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-03-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
I agree that you made a great choice. Unless your wife is really into skiing I don't think it should be much of a problem. I love surfing behind our vlx.