Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-28-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
What wakesurf board is Parks Bonifay on in the 2006 MasterCraft boat brochure??? I have looked every where online and cant find it!!!! If anyone knows what it is can u tell me what it is and give me some input on it? Thanks!
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-28-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
my guess is a hyperlite coex. considering that hyperlite is who he ride for...
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-28-2007, 5:03 PM Reply   
the only thing i know about the coex is that it is a 4'4 skim style board
Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-28-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
sorry guys but i dont think it is a coex... have u seen the picture in the brochure? for one thing it is all green, two it is not even a similar shape to the coex... that is why i was wondering if anybody had even seen any thing similar to that board.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-29-2007, 7:23 AM Reply   
if its not the coex then it's probably the broadcast
Old    surfdad            01-29-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
Does anyone have a picture or a URL of it? I can't remember ever seeing the display ad.
Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-29-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
http://www.nautikaventure.com/img/mastercraft_xstar-2006_wp700.jpg
Old    surfdad            01-29-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
Am I the only one that looks at that picture and scratches my head? I recognize that angles can make things decieving, but just eyeballing that board as close to the transom as it is, makes it roughly - 8 feet in length. It's LONGER than the width of the boat...which, I think, makes Parks, about...7 to 9 feet tall?! :-) Is it possible that the board is just an artists' rendering and photoshopped in there?

Something just looks really peculiar to me, am I the only one? I know this is obsessive - so don't flame me, but I held a ruler up to the board in the image and then to the transom of the boat...the board would translate into a LOA around 8.5 feet. If you extend Parks in the picture, he's got a height somewhere in that same range - like 8+ feet. And the width of the board is around 3 feet at it's widest :-)

Shaq better watch out, however, I think PB has a board for him. :-)
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-29-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
Fish eye lens? That is a weird looking board. The shape almost looks like a Trick Boardz.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-29-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
Jeff I think the picture is way shoped. Just look at the lighting on Parks versus the people in the boat. And the size issues looks very odd.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-29-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
I agree shopped! Jeff does it look like a Waltzer?
Wadd$
Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-29-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
So im not the only one stumped
Old    surfdad            01-29-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
Johnny, it really does look like a Walzer, but you know what I think? I think the basis of the pic is PB on a wakeskate and the "artist" fashioned a board to make it look wakesurf'ish. :-)

There is no way that board is being ridden behind that xstar in the picture and the angle on the nose, where the nose rocker hits - makes me think of a pencil on paper rather than any shaped board. Plus the rear foot so close to the outside rail is just too weird.

My vote? PB on a wakeskate, artist shaped likeness of a wakesurfer and the board doesn't exist. :-)
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-29-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
I don't think it's shopped. The lighting is from the photo boat. Look how bright the back of the boat is and then the lighting gradually fades toward the front of the boat. Next, look at the spray off the board vs. the rest of the surrounding water. If that's shopped, I'm a monkey's blue assed uncle. Last thing, look at the peoples attention in the boat. They are looking directly at Parks. It's all in the lens kids.

So back to square one. What kind of board is that?
Old    surfdad            01-29-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
I don't know enough about photo rendering to argue one way or another, but I do know that board isn't being ridden behind that boat in that picture. :-)

So what's it like to have a blue ass Nick? :-)

Here are my issues with the picture. The nose rocker and rather squared off angle. It "looks" to me like the pointed nose was just drawn in. I can't image that anyone could generate enough speed to have the backward angle on that board in that picture. I've surfed an xstar and with as minimal ballast as is evident in that picture (rub rail as far above the water line as it is) the pocket is maybe 12 feet long - unless PB had tow assist from a PWC, he just couldn't develop the speed needed to slash that straight line in the wake. Plus when you throw a top turn, the indentation isn't straight it's curved to follow the boards path. When you are riding toeside like that, it would REALLY be hard to have your rear foot that close to the outside rail and still go forward :-)

Try this - hold your thumb over the nose of the board and hide the white circle...it really looks like a wakeskate shape, to me :-)

Just my 2 cents
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-29-2007, 5:14 PM Reply   
My ass ain't blue yet buddy.

A) You do not know if he is riding that board behind that boat because you weren't there.

B) You can't imagine. That doesn't necessarily make it so my friend. We're talkin' 'bout Parks here.

C) Maybe it's not a top turn at all.

D) His rear foot aint that close to the edge at all. Look at his heel.

E) Look at the blur on his right arm. You can see the water through the blur.

Fish-eyes make thing look weird. The boat itself looks like it is going up hill. To me, that board looks like a skim board. He is on the Right Coast remember.
Old    surfdad            01-29-2007, 5:49 PM Reply   
Oh Nick, you're my Tige buddy. :-)

A) Neither were you and we KNOW about photoshopping. :-)

B) Nor does it make it real, Parks is a great wakeboarder, doesn't make him good at anything without a rope (see your argument above :-) )

C) Agreed

D) I disagree, the placement of the heel IMO is very close to the outside rail, typically when riding front side we all crowd the inside rail.

E) I'm not sure of your point here Nick, my good man.

I still believe it's shopped and it isn't a wakesurfer at all. :-)
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-29-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
Ahh, screw it. Let's go get a beer.
Old    surfdad            01-29-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
I'm ready - you buy. :-)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       01-29-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
Not a fisheye lens. Look at this picture taken with a fisheye, note the curved lake on the horizon. my .02 worthUpload
Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-29-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
Hey Johnny and Jeff... what is a "Waltzer" and where can i get one... that is a bad @$$ board!!!
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-29-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
Look at the horizon... it's not a fisheye lens. Hmm - now the horizon line looks funny to me too. A little too level, and the waves don't "dissipate" enough given the distance to the shoreline.

For a straight-up comparison... compare the length of Parks' arm versus the guy with his arm on the locker... Parks is minuscule. there's no way his arm is that long in real life.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-29-2007, 9:38 PM Reply   
Only way to tell for sure is to see if Byrd or Billy(woreout) can ask Zane if the picture is real. I believe that's Zane in the boat by the rear port tower leg. If it's him, he might be able to shed some light.
Old    surfdad            01-30-2007, 4:36 AM Reply   
Hey Hayden,

It's actually a Walzer (no T) - Sean Walzer is a former world class skimboarder - now, a bit older, he and Sean Ward are involved in the manufacture of a few wakesurf boards. I know that Nick got in touch with Sean Ward not too long ago. I think that Sean had a Walzer for sale over at wakesurf.net. Sean is CASkimmer here on WW. You might give Nick a PM and see if he can share the contact info.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-30-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
Fisheyes don't always distort the horizon, it depends on where in the picture it is.

Hayden-I've been putting 12 hour days in at the editing station so you'd probably be better off going straight to Walzer (although I do currently have 5 boards in stock-what's your weight)

skimwalzer@yahoo.com or (858)722-4410

(Message edited by CAskimmer on January 30, 2007)

(Message edited by CAskimmer on January 30, 2007)
Old     (dekay)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-30-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
It may be the lense, but I don't think it's photoshopped. And considering I'm taller than Parks and 5' 8"...
Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-30-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
I saw that same board on the MasterCraft 2007 "Rewind" video. It was either Nick or Julz Heany that was riding it. Im gonna call them tommarow and ask.. ill post the answer when i find out.
Old    surfdad            01-31-2007, 3:45 AM Reply   
Let us know what you find out. :-)

Upload
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-31-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
When it comes to all things wakesurf, I'll put my money on
Jeff Walker. It looks photoshopped to me. It does not look like a fisheye lens.
Old     (ripcurl74)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-01-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
Hayden's right, that exact board is being ridden by the Heaney bro's behind the xstar in the new mastercraft Rewind '07 promo vid...I just got it the other day and remembered the debate about the same board parks was riding in the picture. Definetly not photoshopped. Not sure who's building it though...phase 5 maybe? trickboardz?
Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-01-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
still trying to get ahold of the Heany bros... ill let yall know when they get back to me... if anyone has a way of talking to them, it would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old    surfdad            02-01-2007, 5:16 PM Reply   
I don't think that Larry of Trick Boardz ever sold a board without the Trick Boardz S in the two EVA Pads. That board is strictly waxed. Plus the nose is too full. Phase 5 does does have individual paint schemes, but always has the 5 point star logo in black or white on the nose, the board in that picture has something on the nose, but not the Phase 5 logo:

http://phase5boards.com/productIconBoard.cfm

Plus I think the Phase 5 wakesurfer has always come standard with the two EVA pads.

There is something weird about that picture in the ad - there is some component of it that is shopped or enhanced - can anyone grab a still from video that has the board up close?
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-02-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
HaHa, it's just killin' you, isn't it Jeff?
Old    surfdad            02-02-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
Yes. :-) However, that is not an admission of any obsessive or compulsive tendencies on my part. Wait - I already admitted that somewhere earlier in this thread, didn't I? :-)
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-02-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
OK, Jeff I'm trying to help......This has gone on long enough without a true answer.....

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14124
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-02-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
"Maeghan was there...real shot, surf board was owned by Nick Heaney"

The husband of Maeghan Major says it's real......What a lucky guy!! He owns a MC dealership in NC, I believe.....

(Message edited by lionel on February 02, 2007)
Old    surfdad            02-02-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
So that I am clear MYMC is Meghan Major's hubby? He read the post, asked wifey and posted the response on the MC site. Which you've copied here. No one associated with the actual photo or the display ad? Just MC dealers and MC sponsored riders.

It's a surfboard of unknown origin owned by Nick H. Yeah, it certainly could be a surfboard, but that opens up what 8 million shapers? So I guess we'll never know the origin or manufacture of the board.
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-02-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
Does anyone know is credited with the photo?
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-02-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Dang, you almost make it sound like a MC conspiracy? MYMC is Meghan's husband and IMO a stand up guy. Yes, the photo could still be shopped. I guess we'll have to get a hold of Nick Haney to find out about the surf board.
Old     (goodwin)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-02-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
Hmmmm... sumthin is fishy

Upload

Upload
Old    surfdad            02-02-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
Second photo is real and unretouched. :-) Thanks Browny :-) I think the first one, the one from the ad is "managed" in some sense.

Not singling out MC, I don't think any manufacturer would say - yeah our boat tosses a mediocre surf wake - see? :-) I also have been on a few photo shoots with James and know that about 90% of the photos you see in magazines where riders are going huge and doing some outrageous trick - they don't actually land. :-) Not sure that takes away from the picture or the attempt.

It's advertising, right? It's not supposed to be unbiased, we all get that, I'm sure.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-02-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
I'm no expert, but to me the first one looks like it was taken from the top of a tower or helicopter and the second one is zoomed in a little more and taken from inside another boat.

I know this picture is real, that's my foot, and that's a Phase 5 Sean (Entrust) is riding..

Upload
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-02-2007, 4:21 PM Reply   
wow that wake is huge. It looks like an ocean wave. How did you weight your boat and what boat do you have?
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-03-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
that actually looks a lot like a regular skim board.

a company called Zap makes skim boards that look like that... and they usually have a big Z on the front of the nose.
so if that white spot is a Z im almost a 100% sure its a skimboard
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-05-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
that last pic is me riding behind my boat.

the boat is a mobius XLV front ballast is 1100lbs and is about half full, the rear ballast is 750lbs and all the way full and there was about 7 people on the boat that day. the wake gets really big! i love it!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-09-2007, 10:00 PM Reply   
Mystery board in action, play the Julz Heaney video

http://mctv.mastercraft.com/#
Old     (radrider)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-17-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
My vote is that it's a skim board, and then there seems to be a Trick Board in the starboard (right) rack with blue foam on top and that signature "s" across the foam. I bet he's riding a skim board tho, but i don't know who made it.