Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-24-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
I am 200lbs 6’3” and I was riding a Hyperlite Tempest 138. I was able to hit the wake full force and land all jumps. I was very comfortable on that board. Well, I decided that I could not get the air I wanted to get and decided to buy a new board. So, I went out and bought the Hyperlite Byerly 142 with new bindings. I tried it out yesterday and it was like learning how to wakeboard all over again! I kept catching the edge and it popped me straight up and I could not land but half of my jumps.

Am I doing something wrong or is this board that much different that I have to learn all over again?

Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-24-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
That board is not very forgiving. You need to have good form to get the most out of a byerly. You need to edge all the way through the wake. That is why I switched to a TFD, you can get a bit sloppy and still land most of the time. Most 3 stage boards are less forgiving than a continous rocker board.
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-24-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Should have tried a demo before buying a board.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-24-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
Well, I am basically demoing it. Active Water Sports said I have till July to trade it for another board so no big deal. You are right, Melvinator, it is very unforgiving! When I land the jump, it's like somebody came out of the water and grabbed my board. Would a subtle 3 stage be better? I need a little more pop but like the ride of the continuous rocker. Any suggestions?
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-24-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
if you like hyperlite, try a new murray, 3DS, or era. if you're looking for speed and smoothness, it's hard to beat a 3DS
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-24-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
Ok thanks for the recommendation! Is this an easy lander? I am not partial to Hyperlite that is just the boards I have ended up with.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-24-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
As far as Melvinator & Jcv's posts...... TFD and 3DS are basically the same board.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-24-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
Are these all Continuous rockers?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-24-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
If you want big pop, smooth landings and a continuous rocker get a Marius. As far as the one board to always avoid...well you currently have it.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-24-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
hahah... of course. I need something that give decent pop and good distance. The Byerly just sends me straight up and puts me off balance.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-24-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
why do you want distance? do you like landing in the flats? the byerly isn't a go-out-in-the-flats kind of board. it's more of a w2w board.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-24-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
3DS is abrupt continuous - kinda like hybrid of cont and 3stage
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-24-2006, 1:18 PM Reply   
Yes, I like to land in the flats. I like to go far and not as high as most boarders. I'm too old and worried about messin' myself up.

Does the 3DS give you a little more air then a normal continuous but less buck? I may demo that this weekend if that is the case.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-24-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
if you're old, then goin' out in the flats is worse. learn to go up and land on the transition of the 2nd wake.

i, too, am "old." i used to like goin' out in the flats...the farther then better! but i learned that it's better to go more up than out. you have more time to pull off tricks, are in better control and the landings don't hurt nearly as much. you're actually more inclined to mess yourself up landing out in the flats.

demo some soft-landing boards, such as the marius.