Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-05-2005, 8:25 AM Reply   
I'm pondering a couple projects for next year and was wondering what other people think is missing in the world of wakeboard videos?

What gets your interest the most (rank them)
1) Who's riding
2) Location
3) Story (if there isn't... should there be one)
4) Lifestyle footage...

Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-05-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
I dislike the fluff; toss the story. I want to see straight up ridin' from guys and gals throwing down. Delta Sessions is definately one of my favorites. Also, I'm really hyped on the clip Almost Famous.
Old    low_key_wake            12-05-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
boobs
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-05-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
LOL +1
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-05-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
Scott - You'll never make everyone happy. So with that said, just pick a focus that you are interested in and run with it. You are the one who is going to invest hundred of hours (planning, filming, editing, etc) into the project so you might as well have fun too.

Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-05-2005, 12:27 PM Reply   
1. Sean O'brien, Keith Lyman, Watson, Shane, Scott Hopkins
2. Obscure Florida locations, creative obstacles both with a boat and waverunner/winch.. Florida panhandle bayous
3. No story unless there is something unique between the riders.. maybe some good riders riding 'back home' with their crew. Show the main riders part with thrown in home crew shots
4. The lifestyle footage only if the above format is used
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-05-2005, 1:31 PM Reply   
I like to see the pros hanging out with their friends, free-riding, cutting up and having good times like you and I have when we ride. Besides seeing everything big and stylish, grabbed and poked, I like the fact that the most talented riders have fun and are passionate about the sport.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-05-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
I dont remember the video, but I think one of the riders was Mike Schwenne. someone in his crew finally landed a trick for the first time. he was so stoked for him, that he jumped in the water to congratulate him. I thought that was so cool. and I agree with Chuck. just showing friends riding together and enjoying the sport.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-05-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
anywhere it's flat, this is not really missing
but these are:
plenty of T & A ( no, i'm not trying to be funny)
and good music ( no rap crap)
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-05-2005, 2:55 PM Reply   
i agree w/ Chuck.. more hanging out w/ friends and the entire ride... from getting up to bad crashes... not lots of clips... i could care less for the plot...
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-05-2005, 3:17 PM Reply   
I don't like some of the visual effects that are used like in The Blue Print, it has good riding, but weird special effects. I think good footage should stand up on its on, don't put anything in there that is too distracting.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-05-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
Killer Soundtrack is a must. And make it so the riding flows with the song. Watson's section in Relentless. Unbelievable style flowing to an old classic.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-05-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
i like watson as much as the next guy, but does he have to be in every single wakeboarding dvd ever made? his smooth style is awesome, no doubt, but doesn't it get old seeing the same handful of tricks every section? i hate being negative with such a cool dude, but when's the last time you saw him stomp a move and said "wow, i've never seen that from him before"? danny harf is also in about 90% of wake dvds, but every time out he seems to land something completely new. there are several guys out there with a much deeper bag of tricks that dvds have yet to scratch the surface of. keith lyman, for one, should be forced to have a section in every single future dvd until both of his knees are completely deplete of cartilage just for our viewing pleasure. other names: gabe lucas, jonathan nadolski, kyle alberts, sob (though, as amazing as his videos are, i can't recall him doing a single trick switch--i'm probably wrong), the ennens and all the other washington riders, etc.
Old    murrayair            12-05-2005, 5:35 PM Reply   
Like Adam said, the riding has to flow with the music really well. That is something that I think editors don't focus enough on. I mean, it's deffinately there in most movies, but a lot of times it just seems like they rushed that part. It's so cool when the rider takes off from the wake, does the trick and then lands in time with the music. It's painstaking work for the editors, but it really makes a good movie into a great one.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-05-2005, 6:00 PM Reply   
I say more extreme stunts. Like the guy jumping the boat and stuff. This might help the sport grow more because the average person doesn't know what a backroll is, but they know what jumping a boat looks like. Even if they don't start now it will eventually come in the videos. The 1080 will no longer be the big goal for everyone and they are going to need a different approach. I say lets see these pro's clearing some stuff. I love on snowboarding clips how they board off a cliff to what looks like would be death, but they eventually land and keep on cutting. I just think it is a good way to catch newbies eye or atleast put the name out there more.
Old     (melan_mobe)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-05-2005, 6:01 PM Reply   
I agree with Jeff Vaaler, I love Watson's riding but its usually very samey. Like I dont understand how in Relentless he sticks a backside 5, switch backside 5 combo, then in The Butter Effect theres no backside 5s, I know hes been injured but its kinda weird. Sean O'Brien has a few switch tricks in his vids, switch heel mobes and a nice switch heel 7 in that more recent video. Would love to see more footage of him for sure.
Old    low_key_wake            12-05-2005, 6:03 PM Reply   
I like road trip fotage. I live in Colorado, so to have any fun on the water, you got to drive, so to me that is awsome. i love it.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-05-2005, 6:20 PM Reply   
Put in some new and upcoming riders, there are some young guys and girls out there busting some of the same stuff as the big dogs, I think "Almost Famous" will show this, can't wait for it to come out.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-05-2005, 6:27 PM Reply   
DS2 will feature the likes of Sean O'Brien, JDS Webb, AAron Rathy, Schwenne and the rest of the W$Riders. We persoanlly hand select each band and each song. I firmly believe that the song, tempo and rider need to match up. That is why we sell our soundtrack and sold a ton from Delta Sessions. This year it will be include in DS2 and it is INSANE! You will get so hyped up, but your kids can listen as well. I remember the likes of Mayday and Hit it when I think of music and particular sections.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-05-2005, 6:49 PM Reply   
i like to see videos where the camera is still and the editing is solid. after making some little videos, ive come to the point where i wont buy a dvd if i think i could have made it myself...regardless of who's in it or how much they throw down. i love what kilgus and stephens are doing and i hope that soon i can throw a couple more names up there, too.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-05-2005, 6:52 PM Reply   
DS2 will feature some of the up & coming riders I was talking about. Looking forward to it.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-05-2005, 7:09 PM Reply   
Sean seems to get called out for lack of switch riding alot but hes got some amazing tricks down switch... He is the kind of rider that doesn't go out and ride to show off though.. he genuinely has fun riding! And fun to him is some HUGE amplitude. And as far as watching Watson in every video... No, doesn't get old to me. I prefer some simply stalled out moves to trying to add that last 180 or whatever it may be. His glides are amazing, super stalled and super slow... and still looks good in slow motion!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-05-2005, 7:28 PM Reply   
I would like to see some more riders like.

Collin Wright
Josh Smith
Igor
Josh Storrer
Daren Razor
Calling you out MR. Greg Nelson

I love to see them in all in one video. They all know how to link spins together and make their riding look so fluid.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-05-2005, 8:05 PM Reply   
Dean Smith and ChrisO too
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-05-2005, 8:48 PM Reply   
Squid if your going old school you should include Thomas Horrell in bindings.
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-06-2005, 4:29 AM Reply   
We were talking about adding a bit more bio stuff... kinda like a day in the life of...or "lifestyles". Everybody has some sick or funny other talents that make them special.... Shapiro makes music, Rucks got a band, Murray has soooooo many talents he could be a movie all by himself. The funniest stuff I have ever shot was during down time from riding. I have always liked to get a bit of personality when I watched a film but its not common in wakeboard videos.

We were also talking about addomg some sketch comedy. Short spoofs, modified jackass.

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-06-2005, 8:11 AM Reply   
Well squid, we got Collin, Facciano, Smithers, Storrer. WE also have a tribute to Cory with all of Cory's friends talking about him.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-06-2005, 8:29 AM Reply   
make the video 90+ minutes long.

I just bought a surf video last night "Local's Only" by Barnes, footage from local riders here in Palm Beach County, and it is 2 DVDs, and it was $20. Almost all riding, no lifestyle filler or skits. Perhaps a few shots here and there of hotties on the beach. Total satisfaction in this DVD set.

I have never really felt satisfied buying a wake video when they are 25 minutes long and half the footage is fluff, lame skits, lifestyle junk, whatever. I am not into celebrity, I know these guys are just like us off the water, so lets just see a lot of good riding. A nice mix of pure wake riding, slider/stunt action, and wakeskating. Perhaps some known riders, but also generous portions of unknown riders.

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-06-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
I think it would be cool to see them thinking up new tricks. like have one section talking about this idea for a new trick and show a few of them trying to do it and talking about ways to do it and then finally getting it done. I have always thought it would be cool to see how some of these tricks came about. I think that would be entertaining
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-06-2005, 11:14 AM Reply   
More Randy Harris please.
Bigger tricks instead of more technical tricks.
Old     (team210)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-06-2005, 11:14 AM Reply   
Good Music, I enjoy all the older riders Shane, Scott, Parks, Shawn Watson, Murray, Harris, Darin. I really don't know any of the younger newbies. Not saying they can't ride, they can ride yes but my riding has progressed with the riders listed above as thiers did. And of course any Vid with Emily Copeland in it, she's my gal!
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-06-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
tings00... I like the new trick angle... Everyone
's got a trick they want...
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-06-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
What about adding several girls sections...?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-06-2005, 12:19 PM Reply   
bikini or riding sections?
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-06-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
i personally would like to keep the videos more old skool and see lots of Wake2wake riding of all differnt riders both pro and up and coming ..It doesnt matter where they are riding as long as there are nice shots from various angles ..id like to see the same trick from maybe theree angles and speeds..Aslo id like to see more new tricks being thrown ,even if they are not landed id like to see the riders trying new stuff ,bustin their butts until they land it..I like to keep it real and IMO it may not be pretty but would feel a lot closer to the riders seeing how they ride on a daily basis and train for events..

It would be cool to see some documentary of sorts on riders where they have segments where they show them waking up and follow them around daily for seven days and edit it a bit but only to shorten the film,do this with say 5-7 riders and make a full legnth video..Hopefully make it and hour or more long ..

Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-06-2005, 2:47 PM Reply   
yes yes yes.... Alot of people want to see girls riding, why not add a few more minutes and put some females in there. Clips of Megan McNeil doing some of those Bliss sports rails. Barret on some rails... just put a nice collage section together for them if not giving one or two a full section. I would love to be able to watch a video and then show my neice and some other girl friends of mine some girls rippin it up.
Old     (westcoastripper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-06-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
Shane Bonifay and Keith Lyman the best video guys in the business
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-07-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   

quote:

We were also talking about addomg some sketch comedy. Short spoofs, modified jackass.

please, no skits. wakeboarders are good at wakeboarding...not acting.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       12-07-2005, 11:51 AM Reply   
I think watching girls ride is boring. They are always in long shorts with a rash gaurd and a vest and are trying to grab tantrums. Doesn't do it for me. Paul, your niece and girl friends would still have no interest in watching the vids, because they are chicks.

Not trying to knock girls riding as there are tons out there who can wipe me out, let alone the pros, but I'm not in any videos either.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-07-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
I kind of feel you on that one, however, things like Megan hitting the Bliss rail... Dallas doing tricks while freeriding, Meajor(or whatever) doing a mobe(or whatever it was she did)... just as long as it was edited to include all new progressive stuff as far as all of wakeboarding is concerned. My neice is scared of anything and she relates alot better if she can see a female riding. That said, she mainly gets a kick out of everyones daughters on her learning to ride between the ages of however young to like 15.
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-08-2005, 5:52 AM Reply   
Joe....I'm with you on wakeboarders no being actors... Except for Murray... he could pull it off... We are looking at some pranks and a few people with some talent doing the acting stuff...

As for the girls... I ride with my wife and a couple other girls that are really fun to ride with and watch. They aren't doing pro level riding but they are haiving a much fun as anyone and they try stuff...They get worked over most of the time but they keep trying. Just seeing how hard they are working at it is impressive to me. I've shot Dallas a couple times and each time I'm just as blown away by her talent as the first time. I know she is a bit of an exception but I've seen other girls kill it too.... I was at the cable and saw Ashley Becker tear OWC apart... She's a relative unknown but was nose pressing the A-frame (with style)and backlipping the flat bar. I suppose aside from the bikini factor girls riding is probably most interesting to girls but that's not a bad thing... I wouldn't hesitate at producing a film that was intended for girls, about girls or about average people trying new stuff....

Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-09-2005, 8:36 AM Reply   
More Punk Rock and less Rap!!!
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-09-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
No Rap
Old    du540            12-09-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
"More Punk Rock and less Rap!!!"

"No Rap"

Sorry guys, I don't know about other producers but, I have a harder time editing to a punk or punk-pop song than I do with a good hip-hop track.

We're looking real hard for some good punk-pop tracks that we can get our hands on for our next project but....it's been a bit tuff so far. I'm working on getting a couple of tracks from Fall Out Boy, Say Anything, Starting Line and some others.

I've been discussing a contest with WB Mag and others that would include music suggestions from readers. Nobody steal my idea now, OK?

Ron Mart
NumbSkull Productions
www.numbskullpro.com
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-09-2005, 11:56 AM Reply   
Thats good to hear Ron.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       12-09-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
Ya No Rap. We need more rock and punk music in the vids. Put some of "The Unseen" on their thats some real punk rock and great for a wake Vid!!Gets you pumped up to ride hard!!
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-09-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
i'm no rap fan, but i thought that jay-z song worked perfectly in the relentless trailer/intro, but so did the intro song from pre-pop. um, come to think of it, good riding, filming, and editing can make any song look great. that said, why do all of chad sharpe's sections always sound like crap? if the riders are the ones choosing their songs, someone needs to talk to chad
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-12-2005, 9:44 AM Reply   
I've got no problem with rap. For those of you out there that like to edit try using Obie Trice, Got Some Teeth. That one's fun because of all the sound effects in the song. As far as what not to put in a video, cut down on the artsy crap. Such Is Life has nice editing and riding but I get tired of having to fast forward through manequin legs sticking out of the ground with skates. A little artsy stuff's alright but Such Is Life took it way too far.