Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old    thebiggmann            08-12-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
I was pulling my friend boarding behind our 05 response lxi today with the wedge down when all of a sudden the wake post a bunch size and steepness. I stopped thinking somehow the wedge came up and reached down to find I too fell victim to the one side shearing off the swimg arm and the other side getting the piss bent out of it. I leave for college the 28th and took off off work from the 19th on pretty much just to board. How much downtime am I looking at from this? I'm gonna be sooooo mad if this effs up the rest of my summer. Can someone let me k pw what to expect when I take it to the dealer tomorrow or if there's a way I should go about this?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-12-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
6-8 week back ordered part from the factory
Old    thebiggmann            08-12-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
You're kidding...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-12-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
Bend it back & screw it in yourself with some grade 5 screws.

Better yet, weight the boat. Not as much room but it works better.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       08-12-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
Biggs pull the arm off and go board with out the wedge. Ask the dealer to loan you a couple of sac`s. This shouldn`t be a big deal but it will take time to get a new one. samething happened to a frined of mine and the dealer did just that he pulled in the parking lot and the pulled the wedge off leaving the transom bracket and sent him on his way with 2 500# bags and a pump.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-12-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
msrp 747
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       08-12-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
The boat does not need to go to the shop, just the wedge. Take your boat out of the water, remove the wedge from the mounting plate (5 minutes)and take the whole thing to the dealer. I am guessing that you are out of warranty, so order the new wedge and put it on when it arrives. If you need the bigger wake, add weight or invite more people. No reason you should miss any riding over this.

Who cares beat me to it,but yeah +1 to his post

(Message edited by liveoz on August 12, 2009)
Old    thebiggmann            08-12-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
Ok, good :-). I ordered another 750 that I'm gonna put with my current one on each side of the motor. I was riding with the single 750 in the back and the wedge. How will this change the wake? And will they really loan me some sacs?
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       08-12-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
Can't hurt to ask...
Old    murphy8166            08-12-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
No weight in front....no wonder the wedge busted.

If you get some weight in the front....the wake will be much better. You want around 65% percent of the weight behind the windshield and 35% in front of the windshield.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-12-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
x2 for going without wedge. Take that wedge off and sack that boat out, son!!

I hate how my VLX drives with the wedge down. It always feels like there is so much drag that the thing is going to rip right off. Maybe that's because it is about to! We just weight it down and fill it up with as many peeps as possible.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-12-2009, 4:08 PM Reply   
Hey, what college are you going to? They must be paying pretty good these days to afford a Malibu! or maybe its a wakeboarding scholarship! So after this month traffic on the lakes should lighten up a little? all the college kids back to school..... I love September and October!

P.S. I hope you get your boat fixed and enjoy your last days on the water.... then its time to hit the books.

(Message edited by fman on August 12, 2009)
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-12-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
You know mine did the same thing a while back. I was actually talking to the malibu dealer about it and come to find out that the bolts they used for the 05 which mine is were not stainless steal, they were metal that was coated with some sort of sealer. Great for a while but after being in the water for a few seasons not such a good idea. Thus they snapped. If you have a wedge that is not the three bolt wedge and it only has two bolts on them take them out ASAP and go get good stainless steel bolts at a specialty shop. I had to drill my busted bolts out retap and thread them and then got stainless steel bolts. Another option is if you know a shop that will weld coper have them do it. It's expensive that's why I haven't done it yet. But for now if you don't have the time to fix it just unbolt the wedge from the mounting bracket (very easy to do 2 bolts) and run it with out the wedge untell you can get it fixed.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-12-2009, 4:31 PM Reply   
Same thing on My 05. Malibu sent me a new arm and I put in stainless screws.

Take the wedge off and ride!!!!
Old    thebiggmann            08-12-2009, 10:25 PM Reply   
Murphy: What do you think with the two 750's next to the engine? The weight will be a little further forward, will that be alright like that? Otherwise I think I'm gonna put some sandbags or something under the front seat or something, maybe in the ski locker, that should be far enough forward I think. Is all that weight in the back the reason I'm having a hard time keeping the wake crisp too?
Old    thebiggmann            08-12-2009, 10:27 PM Reply   
Didn't mean to post that...
Stewart: Who did you contact to get a new arm?