Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (gharvin)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-24-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
here is the setup:
06 supra 21v factory head unit
1 set of rca's going to a kicker sx900.4
this amp runs 4 cabin speakers on two channels
also runs a set of skylon deafcon III tower speakers on their own channel.

I also have 1 set of rca's coming off of the HU to a kicker zx400.1 pushing a solobaric L5

the only two speakers the HU run are the ones in the playpen.

My dilemma the HU cuts off and turns back on at higher volumes unless the motor is running (i.e. sitting still or idle speed it cuts off at higher volumes)

I have asked this question before and checked various things and they have not worked, i called a local stereo guy and he said the reasoning behind this is the ohms. I know nothing about ohms, but is this something I can fix myself?

Also all interior speakers are kicker ks60's Impedence 4ohms

Skylon deafcon III's are kicker components I do not know the impedence

from the kicker website it appears my sx900.4 is running 225*4 at 2ohms

Thanks for the help on this one guys!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-24-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
gary, I have the same issue on an 07 22. from the factory the HU is wired to 6 speakers....not good. The internal amp on the kendwood HU is stable to 4 ohms, anything lower will result in the radio cutting in and out. Double chcek the wiring on yours....if only two speakers are being played , they may haev been wired in parallel, resulting in a 2 ohm load. it's a very easy fix to re-wire.
Old     (gharvin)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-24-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
on the cabin speakers, i have the two positive rights going to the positive right channel, and the two negative rights going to the right - channell.

I have the two lefts + going to the left + channel, and the two left - going to the left - channel, would this still be running in 4ohm or would it be 2ohm, if it is 2 ohm how would I wire this to go to 4ohm??

My tower speakers go left+ to left +by itself and so forth.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-24-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
Clipping my friend.

Assuming the HU is only running 2 speakers by it's self means that the amplifiers you have are draining the battery and causing it to clip out.

If it is the HU clipping out than the 2 RCA's out have no bearing on it. Those are line-level outs not powered outs.

the 2 playpen speakers...how are they wired? on the front channels ot briged. Either way that should be fine. Do this.....when the radio starts clipping out, unplug the RCA's from the amp (the amp will still be on but no sound will be coming out) I bet the radio will clip any more.

Look into a Cap to aid in ready power and I bet this will solve your problem.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-24-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
A breakdown:

The 4 cabin speakers are 4 Ohm each wired to 2 Ohm Parallel. So on each of the 2 channels you are at
2 ohm.

The skylon speakers I assume are on the other 2 channels... I think the Defcon is rated at 2 ohms per pod? (please find out) So all together your Kicker amp should be running at 2 ohms stereo on all channels.

My guess is that you have the sub running 2 ohm Mono to the Amp.

You have maxed out the Ohm load on all your amps.

All in all in theory the system should be fine...I would look into power delivery.

Cables...are they the right guage?
battery...How new? is it a Optima?
infrastructure... Are you running the proper guage wires to a distribution block and are your grounds the right size and secure.
Old     (gharvin)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-24-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
rich,
thanks for the response:

Batteries are brand new optimas
cables are a tsunami from circuit city going through a distribution block setup...this was about a 100 dollar kit to run two amps with two in line fuses.

i will have to check out my grounds, they are of course grounded to the negative posts on the batteries.

the two front speakers are running off of the two fron channels on the HU.

what is the "Cap" you are talking of.

I honestly thought ditching the Interstate batteries for the optimas would solve this.
Old     (gharvin)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-24-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
alright I unplugged all rcas for all amps at the same time radio still clipped, but my remote wire is still hooked up to the amps for power would this make it less accurate? the amps were still coming on after unpluggin rca's due to the hu telling it to.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-24-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
if the rcas were unplugged the 2 kicker amps should only draw a little current....this is what i wanted to see if the radio would still clip.

try with the amps turned off.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hTsPumLKnyo/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=725&tab=essential_info&i=120PP1010D #Tab
Old     (northslidin)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-24-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
Are you having this problem even when the engine is running above 1200 or 1300 rpm?