Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (chris_c)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-06-2006, 9:02 PM Reply   
I am just curious as to why Scott Byerly doesn't wakeboard anymore, or maybe he does i just haven't seen it in any videos?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-06-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
he likes wakeskating more.
Old     (chris_c)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-06-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
cool i guess, does he still wakeboard at all?
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-06-2006, 10:59 PM Reply   
i don't think it's that he likes skating more, it's that he doesn't have the knees req'd anymore.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       02-07-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
I read in an interview that he still straps it on to hit some rails and such at the projects, and still rides enough to make design decessions on his promodle. Im guessing he's going to have to die before hyperlite drops his board.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-07-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
i'm willing to bet that '06 is the last year for hyperlite to carry the byerly line. byerly will probably end up leaving hyperlite before the year is out, along w/ murray. parks may go, as well as harf. ruck will stay, so will sharpe.

these are just my guesses.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-07-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
Yeah, '06 is gonna shake things up at Hyperlite. It'll be an interesting year. I'd also imagine that the Byerly pro-model boards may be winding down. I'd say he'll continue on with pro-model skates, just don't know what company will produce them.
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-07-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
Joe, I mostly agree. However, I think it will go like this:

Byerly: gone to GB

Harf, Murray, Sharpe, JD Webb: gone to Paul/Herb's new venture (Square1 is the rumor, I guess)

Parks, Aaron Rathy, BT, Grubb, Ruck, Emily: stay put for the $$$$$$$$/security
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-07-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
luke, the only way byerly will go to gator is if gator's still in business.
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-07-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
I think this could be a good year for Gator. He might have the most accessible wood wakeskates around, since Cassette seems to be down for the count. To me, what GB is missing the most is variety in sizes/shapes, and shelf appeal for boots.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-07-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   

quote:

To me, what GB is missing the most is variety in sizes/shapes, and shelf appeal for boots.

they're missing a lot more than that. yeah, they need to design their own boards, rather than taking an existing board and tweakin' it a bit. but, it's hard to do that with no money.

(Message edited by dakid on February 07, 2006)
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-07-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
They need more retail outlets too. Try to find Gator Boards at a local shop, unless you're near a big shop. The Ricky and Vandall were their biggest lines, but with Vandall out and Ricky doing his own binding thing, now what?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-07-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
I think Gator and Krown will grow rapidly this year, (I think it would help the sport as well). More and more riders are starting to realize that these smaller companies dont make inferior products. Especially with wakeboarding culture starting to mimic snowboard culture imho, people will start trying to stick out with unique styles and gear. It seems the underground "core" culture has started to become trendy.

Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-07-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
Speaking of Hyperlite....did anyone notice in "Counterfeit This" Harf and a few of the other guys wearing ERA bindings on the big rails?? I guess they like the snug fit for that.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-07-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
HEY JOE,
Aren't a majority (NOT ALL but most) of shapes from CWB based off of Absolute shapes through the years? Not that I see this as a big deal or problem.

<begin sarcastic joke>
(IN THE DISTANCE A SLOW AND STEADY RUMBLING OF THE CWB BANDWAGON RUMBLES CLOSER TO SET MY RESPONSE ON FIRE.....LMAO)
<end sarcastic joke>

-Nate

(Message edited by iamnathanhudson on February 07, 2006)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-07-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
yeah, for the most part, the lower end boards are older absolutes. the transcend and marius though are their own shapes.
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-14-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
FoxrepDC, i have never seen Counterfeit This, but also on the cover of WBM in the photo issue at Radar Lake he is wearing ERA's.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-14-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
Alot of riders use the ERA's on rails because of how easy in and out they are. It's perfect for the cables and sliders. Flexible for sliders as well.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-14-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
Nathan, I think Joe was referring to GB using OTHER COMPANIES shapes to base their pro models on. A little different. Kinda the whole Bad Ass to Hyperlite Premier/Era to GB Gonzalez progression. Granted its a good shape but how many people are gonna make that deck?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-14-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
But didn't GB design the militant. I quite honestly think thats one of the best board shapes. if they keep producing boards like that, they'll be good.
And they have improved their bindings ten fold this year. I think they'll have a pretty good year.
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-14-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
I know the new G-Flow shape is really good looin.

Isnt the Brisco a new shape? How about the Caddy?

Danny T.
WWW.OKCBoardShop.COM
WWW.WakeboardOklahoma.COM
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-14-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
Where can I learn more about this "Square1?"
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-18-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
Anyone? Square1????
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-18-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
They will not be producing boards for at least a year.
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-18-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
Paul Obrien called me and said they wernt going to be putting any hype up on the new company until September (Surf Expo).
They are working on some very sweet products though.

Danny T.
wWW.OKCBoardShop.COm
wWW.WakeboardOklahoma.COm