Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-06-2012, 7:49 AM Reply   
My brand new Phase 5 model X has a battle wound!! I got to the lake house this past weekend and found this on my board. I don't remember hitting anything but I had a boat load of people the weekend before. Any who, I live in Texas so a good board builder is hard to come by. I did cover it with clear fingernail polish and I cant really see a crack. Is there anyway a common man can inject into the board to fix this blemish. I know it's not important to function but its a new board and its eating me alive. Sorry for the bad pictures it hard to focus while crying hysterically.

Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-06-2012, 8:00 AM Reply   
cleaned up pic alittle

Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-06-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Well, I would disagree about board builders in Texas. Texas has one of the longest histories of surfboard building in the US, and many of the surfboard specific building material were developed and are manufactured here. I know builders through out the state, even out in El Paso.

Now on to your ding, the quick answer is no as far as injection, etc. With some careful sanding you should be able to remove the vast majority of resin and fibers that have become fractures and cloudy looking. Then a coat of polyester resin should eliminate the vast majority of other cloudy effects. Because of all the solvents, etc., in polyester resin it will work much better than epoxy to 'wet' it all out once again.

Push on it with your thumb, does it feel soft? It looks like a 'gentle' bump that has marred/clouded the finish, but did not damaged the carbon fiber or the foam underneath.

I am in Austin, and you can send it to me if you would like a 'like new' professional fix.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-06-2012, 9:04 AM Reply   
Chaos, thanks for the info. It is not soft I can't suck any water or air out of it. I would love to send it to you. I work with a great hot shot delivery service that could get it to you cheap from Dallas. Of course it would be during the off season. Send me your info and a rough est of cost. Clubjoe_99@yahoo
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-06-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
Battle wound...I think it looks great, keep it. If it stil bothers you, put a sticker over it.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-06-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
My first thought, sticker it! I have a board sock and a board bag. I think it gives everyone false hope that it's protected.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-06-2012, 2:13 PM Reply   
the first scratch is always the hardest, be it equipment, cars, in my case the new paint job in the living room. alas...

anyways, PLEASE tell us about riding that board!

thanks!
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-06-2012, 2:45 PM Reply   
I love the board, but i'm not at a level to tell you the pro's and cons of it yet. I do know you can break it loose when you want but yet it's not loose when your straight line riding. I can't ride my cheapo boards anymore like my broadcast or cortez. Every new rider I get on my boat says its easier to get up on this board but after that I can tell it's way too fast for them after that.