Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-26-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Whats the diff? As far as wake and drive?
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-26-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
V-Drive will generally have a better wakeboard wake due to the extra weight in the back.

V-Drive will have more space for people and most prefer the comfortable seating arrangement.

D-Drive will throw a better ski wake due to the engine in the middle balancing out the weight; take more sacs to throw a nice wakeboard wake.

D-Drive will handle better that a V.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-26-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
couldn't of said any better. Just V-Drive it baby !

(Message edited by iagainsti on July 26, 2006)
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-26-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
I am pretty sure there is a pretty big difference between the V drive and D drive, not sure what that is but more than a little.

Also, with a D-Drive you have that motor cover to stand on when you need to remove or swap ropes from the tower. Not a big deal, but when you swap ropes like I do, it makes a difference!

Sean
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-26-2006, 9:09 PM Reply   
The industry has shifted very heavily towards v-drive over direct-drive. One dealer told me 80% v-drive to 20% direct drive, another said 90/10. As a result, in general it's a lot easier to re-sell a v-drive as a result than d-drive.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-27-2006, 7:45 AM Reply   
Sean, most of the times the DD and v-drive models have identical hulls, the motor is just in a different spot. V-drives are harder to work on IMO. The motor is in there "backwards". ie. the front of the motor is facing the stern, thus the v-drive configuration. the drive train(?) forms a "V".
Old     (crs)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-27-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Don't forget storage space. Most V's have a huge amount of storage space.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-30-2006, 11:58 PM Reply   
On the Supra's, the widths of the wakes are different between the vdrive 22 and the ddrive 22. The ddrive is much wider.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-31-2006, 2:00 AM Reply   
in addition, V-drive boats tend to have a deeper draft in the transom than direct drive boats as well as a higher freeboard. both advantages in my opinion!

(Message edited by anodyne on July 31, 2006)
Old    robertt            07-31-2006, 3:53 AM Reply   
Direct drives are multi purpose, in the sense that they are primarily designed for zero wake. There are still a few die hard skiers out there, and they would rather die than ski behind a Vdrive (although I have heard that even an Xstar does not have a bad slalom wake at 33mph).

Vdrives are better for family use, and certainly MUCH better for wakeboarding and similar activities, but are more one dimensional as far as water sports go.

Direct drives are going to be faster, and handle like a Ferrari, while the Vdrive cousin is a bit more sluggish. The speed has more to do with weight than anything else. DD are typically smaller with a lot less free board (again, less weight = smaller wake).

There are hybrids out there where they take a direct drive and outfit it for wakeboarding. some are better than others, but make no mistake you cannot make an X1 wake out of a DD ski boat. I know....I have one.

If they allowed Vdrives on my lake, I would own one. Many lakes around the country are "ski" lakes, like mine. Any competition ski boat on my lake has to be USA Waterski approved for 3 events. That pretty much means that the boat has to be capable of a world class slalom wake and have incredible power and handling. An Xstar is never going to get that, due to its design.

If you are a die hard slalom skier that wakeboards now and then, get a DD. Opposite, get the Vdrive.

Some of the older DD boats can throw an incredible wake, like the 2001. My X7 can throw a decent wake properly weighted, but not like a 23' Vdrive. Its not a problem for me, I suck anyway.

I have seen just about every trick thrown behind my boat, so my days of blaming the boat are over.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-31-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
I didn't know an X-Star could go 33 mph.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       07-31-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
Robert I bet you could get a very similar wake out of a MC 205 as an X1 because they have the exact same hull. It would just have to be weighted differently.
Old    robertt            07-31-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Yes, same hull, and if you got the weight distribution perfect I would assume that you could get an exact same wake out of the DD 205 vs old school X2/current X1.

However, I am not aware of any other manufacturer that would work for, and I am pretty sure it was only the 205 that they kept the hull on.

I could be/probably am wrong. Still, I stand by my statement that if you buy a DD boat you are buying a boat designed first and foremost for skiing and wakeboarding comes second.

I love my X7. I love how it drives and turns on a dime. I love driving it....when I get in the drivers seat of an Xstar I feel like I am driving a car with no air in the tires.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-31-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
is shaft angle the same for a D-drive and a V-drive?
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-26-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
thats defintly interesting to learn about the handling, i ride behind a mastercraft x-7 weekly and it has the standard sac in the back and 2 350 sacs on the sides, it throws a pretty mean wake in my opinion..

but my biggets love for th eboat is how it handles, and i thought all true inboards v or dd handled that well, as for im looking to buy a boat this spring and was looking towards v-drive for the better wake, but if i wont get the same handling i think i will lean towards the dd