Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old    paba            05-08-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
I'm considering buying this ’99 Sportster boat, the only thing is, I was hoping to know how much weight can I pack in that thing, without being too stupid. The transom end is low-profile. I know it's not the best wakeboard boat choice, but its low hours, great condition, in town, and in my price range. I don't expect a huge MC Xstar sized wake, but hopefully something I can still go big on. Thanks.
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-08-2005, 7:09 PM Reply   
if you wait it you will dip the bow and stern get a bigger boat
Old    deltahoosier            05-08-2005, 9:47 PM Reply   
I remember when I was shopping for my first boat. I really wanted a malibu, but, could not afford a sunsetter. I looked at the sportster and I had my 4 year old daughter with me. She was in the boat and just casually sat on the gunwail (side of the boat) like it was her personnel seat. I bought a used boat after that. Then even with the bigger used boat I still had a lot to learn and am very thankful I never had a sportster and got it caught in a choppy lake and very thankful I never got one and put weight in it.

Get something else for boarding. If anything, I would claim safety.
Old    paba            05-09-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
thanks for the input, but I do have to ask. Have you been in a Sportser LX with fat sacks or added weight? The reason I ask, I've read several post on malibu boat owner sites and general wakeboarding sites and many claim they add the wedge and 500lbs. One person who didn't have a wedge went with 1000lbs. All claim it's a great wakeboarding boat. I guess I was wondering why Malibu would factory install a wedge (creating 1000lbs) to a sportster, if it couldn't hold. I'm not arguing, just thinking aloud. I do agree about the chop, however, the boat would be primarly for skiing and boarding, no big lake stuff. There's a sweet third basin lake around here that's nice and narrow. perfect for being pulled behind the boat.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-09-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
factory installing a wedge on a sportster does not affect the ride height while the boat is sitting idle in the water...

a wedge uses the law of hydrodynamics to draw the transom down as a result of the water pressure running over the surface of the foil. when the boat is stopped or cruising slowly, the ride height remains the same...

that is why malibu installs it as a factory option, and imo, would be your best way to get any kind of wake without overloading the limited gunwale and transom on the sportster.

filling that thing with sacs, will create a decent wake but will not be well handling and the interior will see a lot of water..

(Message edited by h20jnky on May 09, 2005)
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-09-2005, 3:26 PM Reply   
Patrick, I had a Malibu Skier which is the predecessor to the Sportster; very similar size and stats. The Sportster has a little more V at the transom than the Skier. They are both great handling smaller inboards. I did not have a wedge but would add up to about 800 lbs. I was not comfortable going beyond that, plus it took up all the floor space. I have commented on other posts that the Skier could produce a good shape medium size wake, but not a massive wake. The Sportster could be a little better. The boat your looking at would be fun to drive, have awesome slalom wake, and hold it's value if you get it at a fair price.
Old    flipout            05-09-2005, 3:28 PM Reply   
I have a 1996 tantrum and we have had 600 lbs in the back with four and five people who weigh 200 lbs a piece. The boat doesn't take as much weight to throw a big wake because the width of the boat. I just put a ballast system from wakezilla in it. My sac is suppose to hold around 700 lbs.
Old    paba            05-09-2005, 8:55 PM Reply   
Thanks. I'm going to test drive it this weekend now and I'm bringing along 4 friends to serve as weight (fat sacs) to get a feel for the wake and ride height. Thanks again.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-10-2005, 6:08 AM Reply   
Patrick,
Years ago I rode behind a sportster. We loaded the heck out of it with fat sacs and sand. Probably 2000-2200 pounds. It was a little tough to drive but the wake was good. Most of the ski specific boats are going to be tough to drive when you have them sac'd out. I would stay away from the wedge and just use the weight but that is my personal preference for wake shape.